Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow riders ,
I have to do an oil change for my DCT AT .
All the Honda dealers here are fully booked until mid June and my bike is now on 1400kms - I don't want to take it further until at least I have changed the oil and filters for my own peace of mind .
Does anyone know the procedure for the DCT bike , oil quantity , location of filters ( the engine one is easy ) and if I need a gasket for the gear box filter housing ?
Cheers all and safe riding

·
Registered
42 Posts
They sell You a new bike and don't even find time to do the first oil change?????

I know it only takes 36/100 of an hour to do the first maintenance on the AT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yip - selling too many bikes too cater for the one workshop which is equipped to do the servicing - anyways dont want to get into that - need to be proactive and protect my motor --- or not ride the bike till they are available - happy just to focus on the positive myself and get it done - bitching and moaning is not the reason for this thread - I want to ride

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shanti

I happen to be in the same position as you spoke to my dealer last week trying to get my DCT booked in for its first service but to be told can't do it until the 10th of june i have done just short of 600 miles
But spoke to the head tech at the dealership and he said if you do up to 800 you should still be fine !!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mostly my fault - I live in an outlying farm - was given the opportunity for my bike to be used as the model for crashbars , bashplate , rear rack and engine guard - the workshop was 520km away but in return for the use of my bike I was offered all the accessories for free , I jumped at the chance - my bike was on 800 odd at this point , I figured that I could ride the bike down and then before I returned get it serviced - I didn't assume there would be a long waiting period for such a small service .. If I ride the bike back I put another 520 odd onto the bike bringing me up to 1900+km - I want to do the oil change myself for this reason - once home I will take it to a dealer to do a proper service and for them to check at the bike properly - this oil and filter change is for my peace off mind .
Anyone got a workshop manual that indicates exact amounts of oil and the correct procedure or anyone with knowledge having done this process ?
Advice and non speculative comments most appreciated ....cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
The owner's manual (page 99) gives the run down on changing the oil & filters. Seems fairly straight forward. Oil quantities:
After draining oil only - 4.0 ltr
After draining oil & replacing oil filter & clutch oil filter - 4.2 ltr

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would follow the service manual , but even if you just do the oil change without doing the filters it would be better than leaving the bad oil in , the filters will still perform ok .
Drop the oil , measure what came out , put the same amount of clean oil back in and you should be good untill the bike gets serviced by honda .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers all , took a look at a service manual , no complications - seems very straight forward - going to change me oil - contacted my Honda dealer , got the filters , they are happy that I change the oil and it wont effect my warranty - all good - thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not to start an oil discussion but did you use the standard HP4 10-30W Honda oil?

Honda here in Ireland do not supply 10/30 oil. In fact I could not source 10/30 anywhere here. I asked them what oil I was to use. They told me to use a motorcycle specific 10/40 semi synthetic which is readily available in many brands. They were emphatic that I should not use a full synthetic.

After years of changing oils etc I have used various brands and never had significant problems with any of them. However there was one interesting situation with regard to my two 950KTM's that I owned simultaneously.

Both bikes specified that a full synthetic should be used after the first service. On the 950SM I did exactly that. On the 950 Adventure I only ever used a semi synthetic. The SM with the full synthetic, needed topping up between changes all of the time that I owned it (8 years). The Adventure with Semi stopped using oil after about 10,000kms and never needed a top up between changes after that. Both engines and gearboxes worked as well as each other.

My only conclusion is that the Semi bike's rings seated better in their bores.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I understand that Honda sells an oil change kit consisting of the proper oil, filters, and any other bits and bobs needed. I would think that if they do it in one place, they should do it world-wide. (But you know what they say about assumptions

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil change info

After purchasing the filters for my DTC from the Honda dealer....I wrote the part numbers down.....and found both of them on Amazon.....for a lot less....Honda Synthetic motor oil also......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Castrol Power 1 4T 10w-30 Semi Synthetic

Hi All:

The dealer I use, Two Wheels in Edinburgh Scotland, uses Castrol Power 1 4T 10w-30 Semi Synthetic Motorcycle Engine Oil.

Just saying.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had my bike in the shop for a warranty battery replacement. Since I was close to needing to do the second oil change, I asked them to prepare an "oil change kit" for my manual version. I received,

1.25 gallons Pro Honda GN4 10W-30 SJ oil
1 Filter 15410-MFJ-D01 (2 filter pack on Amazon)
2 crush washers

This is what I received from my original dealer for the first change as well.

I asked about switching to synthetic (GN4 is dino), but the dealer poo-poo'd the idea. He knows I do LD rides--7000 miles in 6 weeks, after all--and still went with the 10W-30 dino in our Houston heat. I went with his recommendation, and will until I am out of warranty or I am given some reason to change.

He did say that he wouldn't follow the specified change interval (8000 miles) on his personal machine. I'm going with a convenient multiple of 4000 miles here on out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts