Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual for the 2019 ATAS DCT shows first oil change at 600 miles. This includes replacing both engine oil filter and clutch oil filter. The manual shows next oil change at 8000 miles but oil change only, no replacement of either or both filters. The next oil change at 16000 miles shows replacing oil and both filters. Do the earlier Africa Twins follow this schedule? I was always taught to change filters at the same time as the oil is changed. Changing filters every other oil change is a strange concept for me. This is my first motorcycle with an 8000 mile oil change interval. The filters themselves don't appear to be overly expensive. Is everyone following the recommended schedule or are some replacing the filters with every oil change?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an 18 ATAS and actually changed all filters and oil after I rode it home from the dealer with 30 miles on it, then changed all filters and oil at 600. The dealer did the 8000 and 16000 mile service and only did as the manual required. If I am changing the oil I change the filter, they are both cheap and easy. I agree with you it is just easy on the mind.

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
The manual for the 2019 ATAS DCT shows first oil change at 600 miles. This includes replacing both engine oil filter and clutch oil filter. The manual shows next oil change at 8000 miles but oil change only, no replacement of either or both filters. The next oil change at 16000 miles shows replacing oil and both filters. Do the earlier Africa Twins follow this schedule? I was always taught to change filters at the same time as the oil is changed. Changing filters every other oil change is a strange concept for me. This is my first motorcycle with an 8000 mile oil change interval. The filters themselves don't appear to be overly expensive. Is everyone following the recommended schedule or are some replacing the filters with every oil change?
I agree with FLrider, I just change them both. For a few $$ more, sure it’s not needed (per Honda), but it can’t hurt putting nice new clean ones in. Lol, I put on magnetic drain bolts too, so I really don’t NEED to do it, but still do it anyway..

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Honda has relaxed their oil schedule requirements over the past five years. They are pretty confident in their engines and I use their recommendation. Of course, if you ride "harder", you should be more conservative and replace oil and filters more often. In my case, there is no point in filling the landfill with essentially clean, used filters.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Yamaha Majesty 400s suggest new filters every OTHER change. I'm used to it.
I was surprised to see charges for new filter when I took my AT in for the 500 mile checkup.
Oddly, I didn't see charges for the clutch oil or filter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ive just followed the manual and replace the filters per the schedule. Like DoubleThimper said, no point in filling a landfill.

Bookem

·
Super Moderator
1,049 Posts
In many cases it isn't even as simple as the filter ending up in a landfill. Increasingly states are requiring them to be collected, crushed and processed because the oil contamination in landfills is becoming an issue.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Honda is correct for normal, everyday use with these fairly derated motors. Filter change every other oil change will provide adequate protection for a long life. What's also nice about Honda's schedule is they are giving credit to the oil manufacturers who provide a pretty remarkable product. Gone are the recommended 3k mile changes. 8k for oil is even conservative. Good on the Honda engineering staff for bucking petroleum industry marketing hype.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts