Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appreciate this will get me banned due to excess stupidity but would any of fine gentlemen be so kind as to inform of what size oil filter wrench for '18 DCT - 65? 64? Also, I think I ordered Honda OEM but what say yea about K&N? Hate 'em? Love 'em?
Product Camera accessory Font Camera lens Material property

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm not sure of the size of the wrench but I'll put my .02 cents in on K&N filters. The filter media inside looks decent but I have had issues with leaking K&N filters twice now. I had two different filters for two different bikes have leaks where the filter removal nut was welded to the filter body. The spot welds penetrated the outer filter housing. Both did not leak immediately but took few days. One filter that leaked oiled up my back tire and I was lucky I did not crash. I talked to K&N about this and they sent me new filters but I won't trust them again.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
844 Posts
My 2 cents.. k&n had a recall for the welds stated above, free replacements. Used them on my tiger 800xc for some 45;000 miles. They were popular because of the 17mm nut on the end making them easy to remove. What size are the factory filters, not a clue. The first one was so tight it crushed under a pair of Chanel locks, massive Chanel locks.. I put them on hand tight, takes a good grip to get them off after 5000 miles.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
844 Posts
If this is your first do it yourself oil change do not use the torque values in the book or on the you tube vid, they are way to tight. A ft/lb torque wrench is the wrong tool, get a 1/4 drive in/lb torque wrench. I do 180 in/lb on the drain bolts and just snug on the dct filter, the o-ring seal the cover not the bolts. Filter goes on by hand as tight as 1 hand can get.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
844 Posts
Is that inch pounds or foot pounds. A 0-100 ft/lb torque wrench is not accurate at low scale (9ft/lb). But a 0-200 in/lb would be good at 108 in/lb (9ft/lb). Even though it is still too much torque......

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
925 Posts
When I bought Ol' Red back in '18, I was surprised to find the previous owner had installed a K&P Engineering oil filter.

Just take it off, clean it out with some brake cleaner, dry it well, lube the o-ring then reassemble and reinstall. It comes with a small magnet in the flow path which collects ferro-metallic particulates. It's a really nice design.

Regarding tightening, I just get it hand snug, then 1/4 more turn and go riding. Never a problem.

·
Super Moderator
10,215 Posts
When I bought Ol' Red back in '18, I was surprised to find the previous owner had installed a K&P Engineering oil filter.

Just take it off, clean it out with some brake cleaner, dry it well, lube the o-ring then reassemble and reinstall. It comes with a small magnet in the flow path which collects ferro-metallic particulates. It's a really nice design.

Regarding tightening, I just get it hand snug, then 1/4 more turn and go riding. Never a problem.
I used the same oil filter on an ol' 2009 Aprilia. Seemed functional, looked good, didn't leak, and of course didn't need to hunt down a filter for an Italian bike. I wasn't interested in oil leaks created by me.

·
Super Moderator
10,215 Posts
£150 for an oil filter you has to remove, CLEAN and re-fit!

I'll stay with the tried and tested £5 Hiflo HF205 remove, bin, replace job done!
Yeah, big picture indicates collision course Andromeda Galaxy will destroy the Milky Way Galaxy anyway. What's a few more spent oil filters. :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ryan's bottom line is that paper oil filters are not just better but better by far. On that note if you're looking to get the best performance from your oil filter and hard earned look no further that Hiflo's HF204 and HF117 oil filters.

Or if you're looking for something reassuringly expensive throw your hard earned at Honda branded filters.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
925 Posts
£150 for an oil filter you has to remove, CLEAN and re-fit!

I'll stay with the tried and tested £5 Hiflo HF205 remove, bin, replace job done!
Yeah, I get your point. In my case it came on the bike so...

Here you can get one delivered for about $200 US. What does it buy the owner?

So I haven't replaced it. It's very easy to clean...takes about 5 minutes. And it's built like a tank. You won't get a rock puncturing the filter case unless something far worse has happened. Finally, though I'm no greenie, if you recycle your oil then nothing is going into the landfill.

FWIW

1 - 20 of 27 Posts