Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a used 2016 AT manual about 6 weeks ago have probably riden about 1,400 miles on it (currently ~ 12,000 mi). Last Saturday while trying to socially distance myself from crowds (& COVID-19), I decided to go for a ride from Phoenix to Globe, AZ (1.5hrs) to hit a section of the AZBDR.

About half way there the ABS indicator started flashing. Then it stopped, 10 minutes later it started flashing and it stopped again. Then I noticed a flash on a street sign reflection and asked my buddy to ride in front to check if my headlamp was flashing.. it was. I stopped and checked what I could and I had no signal to look up symptoms online. We were about 11 miles away so I decided to keep riding until I got to the next town. Then right before getting there, the entire dashboard flashed and the bike almost stalled for a second. It turned back on before I had to hit the starter and then nothing else happened on the way to the nearest gas station.

I wasn't able to find much on what to do. I disconnected and reconnected the battery to try to reset the electrical system and check the ground connection per another post that was seeing similar symptoms. At this point, I decided to try to get back home and rode back without issues until I was already back in Phoenix. This is when I noticed the inconsistent idle at stop lights. I've since tried to search this forum and I downloaded Repair Service Manual. I noticed the oil around the left engine case so I took off the left crash bar and the skid plate and started cleaning that area to look for a leak. There was some oil around the case and on around the lowest part of the assembly but I can't really tell where it is leaking from. Once I found out that was the alternator assembly, I decided to check the connection and found some oil inside of the plug.

Any ideas on where it could be coming from? There is also another area that seems to be moist below the gas tank but it is clean of oil from there all the way to the left engine case so I don't think it is coming from there.

I obviously don't have much mechanical experience but am certainly enjoying learning since I bought my first bike a couple of years ago. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Got fed up trying to reinstall shock with new K-tech spring so dropped the regulator and unplugged the cables for more room. Yup, alternator connector wet with oil. Nope, didn’t help the shock reinstall - pro-tip; remove the Shock pre-load adjuster knob - makes it easy.
Oil at connector doesn’t surprise me. Engine case pressure will eventually push oil up the wire strands.
My 2017 standard is also oil wet at the case / rubber alternator wire junction.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Your other pic is the air box drain tube. It looks full. Pull the plug and drain it.
Careful with the hose clamp; if you squeeze with pliers too much it will have no clamp force left and the tube will forever remain empty with the drained oil coating your bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
It could be a general "brown out" of your electrical system, and it might be possible that used oil is a better conductor of electricity compared to fresh oil (never really thought about it).

Your find ought to be addressed nevertheless. Keep checking other cabling just to be sure.

·
Registered
152 Posts
So I bought a used 2016 AT manual about 6 weeks ago have probably riden about 1,400 miles on it (currently ~ 12,000 mi). Last Saturday while trying to socially distance myself from crowds (& COVID-19), I decided to go for a ride from Phoenix to Globe, AZ (1.5hrs) to hit a section of the AZBDR.

Hi motobizon
Did you get it sorted?
Anything you can share. Just trying to build my knowledge on the AT's.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It came from inside the stator cover where the alternator wires lead. Probably overfilled with oil or bike on its side and the oil got into the loom. The airbox oil drain tubes being full aren't a great sign.

Looks like your the cover is leaking oil at the rubber seal where the wiring enters the case so may be worth removing and re-sealing the cover and rubber seal. You could clean out with wiring loom with contact cleaner.

·
Registered
728 Posts
It came from inside the stator cover where the alternator wires lead. Probably overfilled with oil or bike on its side and the oil got into the loom. The airbox oil drain tubes being full aren't a great sign.

Looks like your the cover is leaking oil at the rubber seal where the wiring enters the case so may be worth removing and re-sealing the cover and rubber seal. You could clean out with wiring loom with contact cleaner.
As noted in earlier post - I too found oil in the connector at the regulator. And oil leaking from the gromit / rubber seal where the wires exit the crankcase cover.
Never overfilled the oil. Haven't fixed it. Small leak.
The wires are stranded so it doesn't take much to wick oil and any pressure differential - think pistons wanking around in a confined crankcase - will push oil up the stranded wires.

The rearmost airbox drain is the lowest one, below the crankcase breather connection. The other two are higher than the breather connection. Hence it is only the lower one that fills with oil.
Next time you pull the tank replace the rear airbox drain with a longer hose - buy it at a fish tank store - and zip-tie it to other wires down by the shift lever. Then it's easier to see how much oil and much easier to drain it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts