Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At my oil change last night I found oil coating the wiring and case vicinity the stator wire. The bike is at 16,544 miles. This is the front lower left side of the engine.

I did a search for "oil leak" and found similar issues.

Oil leak up stator wire
Oil leaking from left side of engine case
Oil in alternator assembly wire
2017 DCT oil leak below stator cover

I had a similar issue on my 2017 VFR1200X. Sadly, there appears to be a systemic issue from Honda on this wire. Hard to say with so few reports, but any leak is unacceptable IMO.

I opted for a non-invasive repair. We'll see if it holds.

I cleaned it. Isolated the area with painters tape. Used gasket maker to coat the area.

FYI The bracket in the top left frame that covers the wire is the mount for the OEM bash plate. I simply removed it as I have the Outback Motortek and don't use that bracket.

The gasket maker was The Right Stuff

It has pressurized nozzle and was quite convenient to apply. While it says "One Minute" I'm waiting a few hours before test riding.

Based on the apparent lack of concern by Honda on the robustness of the seal in that area, I figured why bother with exposing the internals by sealing from the inside when I can simply plug the hole. Time will tell.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good write up Dieselboy.
Since putting my bike on centerstand when parked for longer than a day my oil leak in same area went away. I agree. Its still unacceptable.
Thanks, I see your thread was one of the one's I included above. Glad you could resolve it as simply as you did.

I habitually use the center stand but recently have left it parked on the side stand on a number of occasions. Unfortunately, I can't remember enough of the timeline to make a correlation though. I will now be checking it regularly for leakage of course.

·
Registered
2018 Africatwin adventure sports. There is no special customization.
148 Posts
Hello. This oil leak is a common problem with the Africa Twin. The cause is that the caulking agent spread on the rubber boot is low or peeling off.
It can be fixed by removing the generator cover and re-caulking with liquid gasket. This is not difficult to do, so please give it a try.

Apply the caulk firmly and carefully to the V-shaped caulk area shown in the last figure.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. (y) I'm going for the the lowest effort first though. I'm not adverse to ripping engines apart. (I've got that in spades.) But I don't think it's needed in this case. If the leak was localized to that wire, as I suspect, then as long as the oil doesn't get out, I'm good... But your post may come in handy for someone else, so having those details here is a great addition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@TETSUHIRO: Thank you for posting the instructrions. Do you know if the existing liquid sealant comes off easily from the alternator's mating surfaces upon dissambely? Removing sticky, existing gasket maker is no fun and imho it's easy to ding the surface if one is not careful. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
At my oil change last night I found oil coating the wiring and case vicinity the stator wire. The bike is at 16,544 miles. This is the front lower left side of the engine.

Oil leak up stator wire

I had a similar issue on my 2017 VFR1200X. Sadly, there appears to be a systemic issue from Honda on this wire. Hard to say with so few reports, but any leak is unacceptable IMO.

I cleaned it. Isolated the area with painters tape. Used gasket maker to coat the area.

FYI The bracket in the top left frame that covers the wire is the mount for the OEM bash plate. I simply removed it as I have the Outback Motortek and don't use that bracket.

It has pressurized nozzle and was quite convenient to apply. While it says "One Minute" I'm waiting a few hours before test riding.

Based on the apparent lack of concern by Honda on the robustness of the seal in that area, I figured why bother with exposing the internals by sealing from the inside when I can simply plug the hole. Time will tell.

Oil leak up stator wire

Hi there, similar issue on my DCT. Since your repair have you noticed any issues? I’d like to try this first before I take on Plan “B” and pull the cover off.

any info helps!

thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
FYI, I had the same issue as the OP on my CRF1100L and it looked exactly as in OPs pictures, I wiped everything clean at ~2000 miles. At ~4000 miles there was still an oil spot again but significantly less dramatic than compared to the one at ~2000 miles, I cleaned it again. I'm now at ~6000 miles and it is still clean ( and yes, there is enough oil in the engine 😂).

So maybe it is something that stops leaking over time... let's see...

·
Registered
7 Posts

Oil leak up stator wire

I have the exact same Outback Crash Bars/Skid plate as you. Also isolated my oil leak to the exact same place. Think I will try your solution. THANKS!

·
Registered
442 Posts
FYI, I had the same issue as the OP on my CRF1100L and it looked exactly as in OPs pictures, I wiped everything clean at ~2000 miles. At ~4000 miles there was still an oil spot again but significantly less dramatic than compared to the one at ~2000 miles, I cleaned it again. I'm now at ~6000 miles and it is still clean ( and yes, there is enough oil in the engine 😂).

So maybe it is something that stops leaking over time... let's see...
After a few thousand miles on mine I noticed a small leakage on my garage floor under the left side of the bike. I assumed (hoped) it was from one of the several hoses right there. At 8,000 mile service the technician said I probably had a leak at the stator. He cleaned it up and asked me to let him know if it continued. It did so he removed the cover and resealed it under warranty. Hoping that solves it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
@TETSUHIRO: Thank you for posting the instructrions. Do you know if the existing liquid sealant comes off easily from the alternator's mating surfaces upon dissambely? Removing sticky, existing gasket maker is no fun and imho it's easy to ding the surface if one is not careful. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
Sorry, I missed the post.
Liquid gaskets can be easily scraped of rubber debris with a wire brush.

Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Rim Bicycle chain

Oil leaks from the gaps in this V-shaped valley.
From a structural point of view, I think the rubber grooves are too shallow.

Hand Finger Recipe Nail Thumb
  Bicycle part Nickel Tool Gas Metalworking

·
Registered
CRF1100 L2
3 Posts
Honda service said that it will cover the oil leakage problem, new engine oil, new dct filter, new oil filter along with all expenses. I will make an appointment and go.

Hello. I have same problem. Honda Tech staff found the problem. Dealer applied to honda warranty. Im waiting answer. This shouldn't be a problem with a new bike.
2021 ATAS DCT 13.000km.
(Turkey, Istanbul, Honda Pazarbasi Dealer )

View attachment 66658 View attachment 66659
View attachment 66660

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TETSUHIRO, I'm at 36,000 and the oil leak is back. I just picked up some Honda bond and will tackle it tonight or tomorrow.

I plan to pop off the crashbars and leave her on the centerstand. Approximately how much oil can I expect?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So my question about oil was a bit absurd.....step one, per the book, is drop the oil. Sadly, I had just changed it on Thursday...I was in denial.

The re-seal is done and I'm waiting on curing time to finish to test it.

Job took about two hours. The biggest part being cleaning the mating faces. The biggest surprise was how the stator magnetically "grabbed" the cover. It leaped into position. Fortunately, my alignment was good enough and the Honda Bond appeared to press out evenly all the way around. I cleaned excess off the metal but did not touch the stator wire. As loose as it fit, I did not want to risk disturbing the sealant before it had time to cure. So she is sitting in an undressed state right now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So my question about oil was a bit absurd.....step one, per the book, is drop the oil. Sadly, I had just changed it on Thursday...I was in denial.

The re-seal is done and I'm waiting on curing time to finish to test it.

Job took about two hours. The biggest part being cleaning the mating faces. The biggest surprise was how the stator magnetically "grabbed" the cover. It leaped into position. Fortunately, my alignment was good enough and the Honda Bond appeared to press out evenly all the way around. I cleaned excess off the metal but did not touch the stator wire. As loose as it fit, I did not want to risk disturbing the sealant before it had time to cure. So she is sitting in an undressed state right now.

Yes, you'll be surprised when the magnet pulls you in 😁
As long as you don't lose the small guide dowel, you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts