Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Or an appendage :oops:
It might have left a mark. It was a vigorous snap back into place.....

Yes, you'll be surprised when the magnet pulls you in 馃榿
As long as you don't lose the small guide dowel, you'll be fine.
Good news is I have no spare parts lying around. I eyeballed the guide dowels but the oil joint I don't recall actively seeing. That said, nothing bounced and the guides did not readily come out so I'm confident the joint is still where it needs to be.

Oddly the shaft for the top gear did come out with the cover. I immediately reseated it with the gear. The gear was not indexed to I don't think it is an issue. I don't see that cover going back together unless the pokey bits are where they need to be. I just was not expecting a "loose" gear to be part of this play.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I put a light spread (not a bead) of Honda Bond on the cover. You can see the Hilton room key on the stool below the cover. This was my scraper to remove the old seal. You can see the alignment dowel and the oil joint (slightly inboard) in the lower left corner. The second alignment dowel is on the right side but that dowel remained in the engine side.

Premium Member
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES DCT
At my oil change last night I found oil coating the wiring and case vicinity the stator wire. The bike is at 16,544 miles. This is the front lower left side of the engine.

I did a search for "oil leak" and found similar issues.

Oil leak up stator wire
Oil leaking from left side of engine case
Oil in alternator assembly wire
2017 DCT oil leak below stator cover

I had a similar issue on my 2017 VFR1200X. Sadly, there appears to be a systemic issue from Honda on this wire. Hard to say with so few reports, but any leak is unacceptable IMO.

I opted for a non-invasive repair. We'll see if it holds.

I cleaned it. Isolated the area with painters tape. Used gasket maker to coat the area.

FYI The bracket in the top left frame that covers the wire is the mount for the OEM bash plate. I simply removed it as I have the Outback Motortek and don't use that bracket.

The gasket maker was The Right Stuff

It has pressurized nozzle and was quite convenient to apply. While it says "One Minute" I'm waiting a few hours before test riding.

Based on the apparent lack of concern by Honda on the robustness of the seal in that area, I figured why bother with exposing the internals by sealing from the inside when I can simply plug the hole. Time will tell.
Thanks for posting this. I noticed a leak on my 2020 ATAS yesterday. I found your post and compared. Same issue. I'm taking it to my Honda shop as a first to see if they'll repair under warranty. If they don't, then I'm going to take a page from your playbook and give this a go.

Still no leaks?

Premium Member
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES DCT
Thanks for posting this. I noticed a leak on my 2020 ATAS yesterday. I found your post and compared. Same issue. I'm taking it to my Honda shop as a first to see if they'll repair under warranty. If they don't, then I'm going to take a page from your playbook and give this a go.

Still no leaks?
Cancel last. I just read through and noticed that at 36,000 the leak was back.

Still good to know that your fix worked for 30,000 miles. That's pretty good.

Registered
got the same problem on my first 1100 , honda replaced engine cover , stator and all the rest under warranty

Reactions: ayhansss

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Cancel last. I just read through and noticed that at 36,000 the leak was back.

Still good to know that your fix worked for 30,000 miles. That's pretty good.
Not a bad job to do yourself but you do need some mechanical "confidence". The actual skill needed is not great but there is some potential for issues if you have zero experience.

got the same problem on my first 1100 , honda replaced engine cover , stator and all the rest under warranty
Replaced? At what mileage?

Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
I just found to be having the same issue. Been noticing increasing oil droppings under the engine and it is leaking around the stator wire grommet.
Damm! I hate dirty crying engines!!
Bike still is under warranty but I dread to have the engine covers opened out of the factory assembly line, even when this may be a problem right from there. So much can go wrong and you end with a bigger pain. I'll see with the dealer if it can be fixed externally with some liquid gasket maker, silicone or something. Happy new year!

Registered
I just found to be having the same issue. Been noticing increasing oil droppings under the engine and it is leaking around the stator wire grommet.
Damm! I hate dirty crying engines!!
Bike still is under warranty but I dread to have the engine covers opened out of the factory assembly line, even when this may be a problem right from there. So much can go wrong and you end with a bigger pain. I'll see with the dealer if it can be fixed externally with some liquid gasket maker, silicone or something. Happy new year!
This should be a minor job for any Honda Tech (skilled operator with proper tools/lift/lighting). I may worry if they were swapping an engine out but not a stator cover.

Registered
This should be a minor job for any Honda Tech (skilled operator with proper tools/lift/lighting). I may worry if they were swapping an engine out but not a stator cover.
You鈥檙e correct, it is a minor repair for them. When tech did mine he said there was a noticeable lack of sealant from the factory.

Registered
This issue happened to my 2020 ATAS at around 4,500 miles. It was just a few weeks out of warranty. Dealer fixed it for an hour of labor + oil change. Dealer indicated that they'd seen one other AT with the same issue and that Honda wasn't honoring the warranty because it's a gasket issue and gaskets aren't covered. Didn't matter to me because I was out of warranty anyway, but this information appears to be at odds with what others have reported here, so I'm just relaying. This was at a US-based dealership.

Super Moderator
Gaskets are a wear item now? That's weak.
Almost seems like a conflict of interest?

Nevertheless, welcome to the Forum @vktacoma.

Many Forum members here have out-of-warranty ATs and without major issues. I have had Honda/Yamahas of the past weep through some gaskets. They were inconvenient, but not a show-stopper. Hopefully yours is none the worse.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts