Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

So I noticed some oil had dripped in my skid pan on my 16 AT with 4k miles. Wasn't sure exactly where it was coming from so I sprayed some powder in the area I suspected and took a ride and it seems to be coming from an Allen head bolt of some sort(see pics). Does anyone know what this bolt is for? It's right in front of the oil filter. I was wondering if the bolt possibly had a o-ring sealing it. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
If that's to the right of the oil filter, it's likely a spot for a sensor or cooler that was not included with your bike.

Get a new gasket from the dealer and during your next oil change, replace it.

Or try Antonio's suggestion and tighten it down just a bit more

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the ideas. I did try tightening the bolt but it wouldn't budge. I went by my local Honda dealer yesterday and they want me to bring it in. I did show the service manager the pics and he mentioned that most likely there is an o-ring that seals that bolt that could be damaged or flawed. It should be covered under warranty. I have looked for that sealing bolt on the parts fiche but I can't seem to find it. I was looking to see if it used an o-ring. I have to take my bike in to them early next week. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

By the way, I did find a post on ADVrider that looked like the same issue that I am having. It is post number 305 in the link below. It shows a pic pointing to the same bolt that is leaking on mine.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-crf1000l-africa-twin-problem-thread.1131281/page-16

If that's to the right of the oil filter, it's likely a spot for a sensor or cooler that was not included with your bike.

Get a new gasket from the dealer and during your next oil change, replace it.

Or try Antonio's suggestion and tighten it down just a bit more

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I finally got my AT back from the Honda dealer. The bolt that was leaking was inspected by a service tech and he said couldn't find anything wrong with the bolt. He said he put some thread sealant on the bolt and torqued it back down. He was pretty confident this would fix the leak. So far from the ride home it looks good. I'll post if I have any more issues with it. By the way, he mentioned before he removed the bolt he thought it would have an o-ring sealing the bolt. Turns out it didn't have an o-ring or a gasket of any kind. Maybe this will help someone if they have the same issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mines presented me with an small pool of oily deposit in the yard and a drip of oil off the rear suspension linkage.
It's going in to the dealer on Friday to be assessed, but my suspicion is a leaking shock absorber. Pretty catastrophic though, I've never known one actually drip oil like that....
Photo's to follow. Auto part Automotive tire Tire Automotive exterior Vehicle

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts