Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents,

Last time when changing oil, I found some oil leak in the area left to the oil filter, see pic 1. Could not identify the source of the leak, and suspecting that the leak could be coming from the bolt (as highlighted in pic 2). I unscrewed the bolt and added a crush washer hoping this is the fix. Around 1000 miles later (went on to a trip), I still see the leak (see pic 3).

The leak seems to be coming from the side of the oil filter, and only on one side. Or maybe it's not from the oil.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have a look at what gasket mating surface looks like under the oil filter? I remember reading another post regarding a surface irregularity on one side of the oil filter gasket mating surface. It seems it was just enough to cause some weeping of oil under pressure, like what you appear to have. Looking at the pics it appears that your leak is limited to one side (as was the other poster's leak)?

Another question: what was under the cap-bolt you put the crush washer under? That's not a relief valve of some kind, is it? If that bolt tensions some kind of valve spring, putting a thicker crush washer under it could change the spring tension/valve function.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Correct. Only happening on one side, the side close to the center of the bike.

I remember seeing a problem with some bikes having a roughness on the oil filter mating surface that causes the oil filter gasket not to seal properly. You should remove the oil filter and check the gasket mating surface. If all is well, you can reinstall the oil filter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's definitely an oil leak. If the filter gasket ring was not coated in oil before installation they will sometimes leak. I would change the oil and filter, clean and oil the gasket and clean the engine surface and put it back on and torque it to Honda specs (19 lb/ft, 26 Nm). Even when done right sometimes they leak anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's definitely an oil leak. If the filter gasket ring was not coated in oil before installation they will sometimes leak. I would change the oil and filter, clean and oil the gasket and clean the engine surface and put it back on and torque it to Honda specs (19 lb/ft, 26 Nm). Even when done right sometimes they leak anyway.
Thanks Robert. That's what I am doing and trace the leak source. I have some reservation on the 19 lb/ft. I understand it's what it says in the owner's manual, but isn't that a bit too tight? I always use hand tighten and adding a quarter to it. I am just afraid that it's going to be too tight and can get it out next time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The leak is coming from that bolt you described. It needs to be replaced with the OEM bolt. Should be a warranty replacement. I had the same issue...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts