Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the bike is a 2017 DCT , it has just 4000 miles and has a small oil
leak now somewhere from the top I think , it's hard to see where , it does feel damp around the bottom of the rocker , the oil is collecting on the left side casing and has splashed my left boot.

Have any of you guys got ideas as to what it may be , the warranty is now over too.

I am ringing the dealer on Monday to try and get them to sort it .

Last service was done at 2850 miles bike has been sat still since Nov 19. It has been started and run for 30 mins twice in that time.

Feeling really gutted as these are supposed to be well built engine.

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
I had something similar happen with a KTM 1190 and likewise it was out of warranty.

The issue with mine was that they had damaged a gasket during the last service. But since they did the service they were honest in admitting that it was definitely them who would have damaged the gasket and replaced it for me free of charge.

If turns out to be a similar cause, hopefully your dealer will also likewise admit that it would have had to happen when they did the service and take care of it for you.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Just to be sure, I once had the same thing happen and I was a little miff'ed. Thinking, sigh, this is a drag. However, it turned out to be a unclamped drainage hose that was quite active. I cleaned up the hose, clamped it properly and the source of the oily goo stopped.

The AT has three (?) such hoses? Might be worth giving them a quick inspection.

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
If it turns out to be a gasket like mine was. It was just a fine mist that would happen when the engine was being worked. But eventually enough would collect and pool and drip down on a long ride.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just been and had another look ,
OMG! Yes there is a drain pipe full of oil ,
Where does this one run from if I drain it and clean it up , it runs down to what I believe is the water pump.
Is it a tank off job , don't mind , I'm happy to try .
I know oil can get all over at road speed but would it be around the front of engine too from this pipe ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
I've just been and had another look ,
OMG! Yes there is a drain pipe full of oil ,
Where does this one run from if I drain it and clean it up , it runs down to what I believe is the water pump.
Is it a tank off job , don't mind , I'm happy to try .
I know oil can get all over at road speed but would it be around the front of engine too from this pipe ?
Huh, looks like the drain is overflowing? Very good photo, but still somewhat hard to determine. Is (or was) something running down the backside of the tube and then wherever else it must? Maybe the issue is "saying" the heck following this tube, I am running an easier route.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's definitely seeping from the drain plug .

Feel stupid now for not keeping an eye on it

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just checked oil level and yes it does appear to be over full , I'm going to take some out and see how we go .
And have a big clean up too 🙄

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Culprit found !
The rocker breather pipe on one side was not attached to the airbox at all my guess is that the service guy didn't put it back on properly.
At least I know now what's wrong and not a leak as first thought , just a big clean up now .

Thanks for all the pointers much appreciated 😁

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Culprit found !
The rocker breather pipe on one side was not attached to the airbox at all my guess is that the service guy didn't put it back on properly.
At least I know now what's wrong and not a leak as first thought , just a big clean up now .

Thanks for all the pointers much appreciated 😁
Alright @seventyone ...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All back together , it was a fiddly job with my size 13 hands , even had to ask my wonderful wife for assistance at one point .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts