Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planing to remove the oil pan of my AT due to broken pan so what is the specifications torque required for the bolts of the oil pan ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wish I could tell you. I've been scouring the service manual, but can't find anything other than they tell you to remove the bolts in a criss cross pattern in 2 or 3 steps. It says nothing about re-installing it, the gasket, or anything of the sort.

I'm thinking there may be a hairline crack in my pan as well, so I've also been waiting to see if someone chimes in with any info on this...

·
Registered
509 Posts
What many, many, many people don't realize is that Honda, at least, uses standard torque values for like-sized "standard" bolts. They put a chart in the front of their manuals for the various sizes. Only if the bolt is special in some way will the torque value be specifically called out.

The oil pan bolts are bog-standard 6mm x 28mm flange bolts. The chart says all bolts this size should be torqued to [12nm, 1.2kgm/m, 9lb-ft]. Some people say that seems a bit high, but proper torqueing is a skill.

·
Registered
334 Posts
10 to 12 NM , gasket will be sealant bond

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm one of the many, many, many that wasn't aware of this.

It's the first Honda I've owned.

Thanks for the info, gentlemen. Much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts