Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I鈥檝e been a bit worried about by beloved bike, and in particular my lovely DCT engine Cases getting damaged should I drop my bike.

So after some extensive searching I found a lower engine guard set that works with my model year DCT, which was made by Givi.

After ordering it on one place, then it got stuck in customs, I ordered another one locally, but they then told me they were out of stock.

Finally found another supplier and after 6 weeks in shipping delays again due to customs, it finally turned up this week so I started having a go at fitting it.

Im probably going to sound like a broken record here, but it was another sob to fit!

First of all the instructions say to remove the exhaust, which is a Pita itself, but after I managed to get it off I set about the fitment of the lower engine frame mount.

Here鈥檚 the exhaust half off!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And here鈥檚 the Givi lower guard going into position.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And this is why I am an idiot, it fits a 2019 DCT model alright, just not a 2019 DCT ATAS with the sump guard and light bar! Doh 馃槪!

Registered
CRF1000L | CB1000R
Sort of the same effort with my Givi guards. Because I didn't fully remove the exhaust, one O2 sensor contact got pulled from the connector--slightly. I say slightly because it took a few miles of riding afterwards to throw a code and set-off the light. Reading the code, it was easy to locate the problem--seen back-out pins plenty of times on Army helicopters. Other than that, it was just another accessory to mount.

Btw, because of a left hip problem, I added highway pegs to my Givi bars.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aww no, I feel your pain from here.
On the bright side you do know a lot more about dismantling your bike now.
Hope you can get them exchanged (eventually)
Cheers bud, one thing is for sure I know almost every nut and bolt on my bike now, but still can鈥檛 believe it takes so long to do some supposedly small tasks!

I think it will be too much of a pain to try and return this item to Germany, so will probably advertise it on here abs or the Facebook forum too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sort of the same effort with my Givi guards. Because I didn't fully remove the exhaust, one O2 sensor contact got pulled from the connector--slightly. I say slightly because it took a few miles of riding afterwards to throw a code and set-off the light. Reading the code, it was easy to locate the problem--seen back-out pins plenty of times on Army helicopters. Other than that, it was just another accessory to mount.

Btw, because of a left hip problem, I added highway pegs to my Givi bars.
I managed to unplug the Lamda sensor on mine very easily, so that meant the whole exhaust came off in one piece without too much fuss.

Reinstalling it on your own is a right royal pain in the arse though!
I ended up using a large tie down strap and ratchet to lift up and hold the rear silencer in position whilst I got the Down pipes located to tighten the nuts.

Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
Hepco and Becker racks fit well with the standard light bar and sump, also with dct. Still have to remove the exhaust, I did it in sections. They also have a support brace for the factory bar

Reactions: nigelpugh7

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hepco and Becker racks fit well with the standard light bar and sump, also with dct. Still have to remove the exhaust, I did it in sections. They also have a support brace for the factory bar
Cheers bud, will take a look, not an issue to remove the exhaust, I can do it blindfolded now! 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃槈馃槈

Keeping鈥檈m Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
just a suggestion..
Check out Heed, get a whole new set, it will cover the lower AND upper better then the OEM . A bit of a PITA to put on too. But excellent rock solid protection.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks bud, yes I have already checked them out, I鈥檓 not sure that I like the look of them, they look a bit like poorly erected scaffolding to me! 馃檮馃槪

Registered
Shite, I just received mine after 2.5 weeks, ordered from Italy via Ebay. Double checked it works for my 2020 DCT, but haven't had a chance to mount it yet. I thought you just kinda had to move the header a little to get a bolt in the frame. Does the whole exhaust really have to come off? Any tips if you were to do it again?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shite, I just received mine after 2.5 weeks, ordered from Italy via Ebay. Double checked it works for my 2020 DCT, but haven't had a chance to mount it yet. I thought you just kinda had to move the header a little to get a bolt in the frame. Does the whole exhaust really have to come off? Any tips if you were to do it again?
I鈥檓 not sure about the 2020 version bud, mines a 2019 ATAS DCT.

I got caught out because the description said it is compatible with a 2019 DCT, but I didn鈥檛 check that it worked with an ATAS DCT.

On my bike the two cross bolts that the centre brace of the engine mount are not accessible with the exhaust in position, so yes on mine it had to come off to undo those two bolts, and then the mount has longer replacement bolts to go back through that are used to secure the base for engine guard.

Hope it works out on yours for the 2020 model old chap.

Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
If you go with the H and B bars, when installing the left side bar you have to get the bolts on the new bar and swing it all in at the same time. Too tight of an area to work the bolts in separately, even with the exhaust removed

Registered
I鈥檓 not sure about the 2020 version bud, mines a 2019 ATAS DCT.

I got caught out because the description said it is compatible with a 2019 DCT, but I didn鈥檛 check that it worked with an ATAS DCT.
Ah, got it, thanks for the info. Checked the instructions, looks like I won鈥檛 need to move the exhaust.

Registered
Thanks bud, yes I have already checked them out, I鈥檓 not sure that I like the look of them, they look a bit like poorly erected scaffolding to me! 馃檮馃槪
I鈥檓 disappointed you don鈥檛 like the Heed. There鈥檚 quite a bit about them on this forum that caused me to want them, half the price of others, better drop protection... but, I鈥檝e not seen them in person. You just made it harder for me 馃槵

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I鈥檓 disappointed you don鈥檛 like the Heed. There鈥檚 quite a bit about them on this forum that caused me to want them, half the price of others, better drop protection... but, I鈥檝e not seen them in person. You just made it harder for me 馃槵
Sorry bud, that was not my intention. 馃槒

And anyway what do I know, I can鈥檛 even order the correct parts for my bike, so don鈥檛 take my advice as gospel.

I have only seen them on another bike in the flesh, they are the ones in this picture. Same bike as mine but the owner rides it to work every day, so they have had a hard life as the rest of the bike has.

They looked very tired and shabby, I can鈥檛 describe them as adding Patina, as they just looked rough.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts