Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ouch! That must have been some "hurry-up-he-man" slo-o-o-w-w-w-w ( ... oh ... my ... gawd ... ) motion drama.

Hopefully in a few days your back will be Jones'ing for a ride on the AT.
Yeah, seemed like about 5 seconds I didn’t think I could save her.
Like I said I’ve only owned her a week but I’m in love. Can’t wait to put on some serious miles. First service to be done day after tomorrow then off we go.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I’ve only owned my 2020 a week but a couple days ago in the garage I was just moving it a bit and it fell toward me. I wasn’t gripping well enough and before I knew it she was going down. I couldn’t let that happen because the side of that beautiful tank was heading for a tragic collision with some junk on the floor. So I wrestled to keep her up and am still suffering. Would have been easier to pick her up off the floor using one of the proper techniques but I just couldn’t stand the thought of all that damage. My 66 year old back and shoulders are mad at me now...
I sympathize with you whole-heartedly Partner! I have been there once or twice myself in the garage. I absolutely LOVE the A/T in just about all ways EXCEPT, for the top-heaviness. My last Goldwing, a GL 1800, was right at 900 lbs so, I've got some experience in the wowwwa big girl, let's stay straight up and down will ya type thing. It seems that many of us A/T owners are in the later stages of life, (at least 60 or older) and, while some of you may keep yourself in better shape than others, these bikes are HEAVY! I love riding it but, I hate fighting it in awkward conditions. But, that's part of life with motorcycles. Ya take the good with the bad, if you want to call anything about motorcycles bad.

Glad you saved your new toy from eminent danger. That would hurt the pride waaaaay more than the physical damage part.
Scott

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I sympathize with you whole-heartedly Partner! I have been there once or twice myself in the garage. I absolutely LOVE the A/T in just about all ways EXCEPT, for the top-heaviness. My last Goldwing, a GL 1800, was right at 900 lbs so, I've got some experience in the wowwwa big girl, let's stay straight up and down will ya type thing. It seems that many of us A/T owners are in the later stages of life, (at least 60 or older) and, while some of you may keep yourself in better shape than others, these bikes are HEAVY! I love riding it but, I hate fighting it in awkward conditions. But, that's part of life with motorcycles. Ya take the good with the bad, if you want to call anything about motorcycles bad.

Glad you saved your new toy from eminent danger. That would hurt the pride waaaaay more than the physical damage part.
Scott
There is always this Adventure model where the inline twin engine is slung real low and the fuel tank is below the rider's seat:

I just don't know how deep offroad you can take this. Definitely not as deep as the AT. Probably limited to "urban adventure".

It's sustained top speed is limited to just over 160 km/h (100 mph), but the fuel economy is stellar.

Nevertheless, one might be able to wake it from a nap with their pinky finger. :p

·
Super Moderator
1,423 Posts
There is always this Adventure model where the inline twin engine is slung real low and the fuel tank is below the rider's seat:
The BMW F800GS also has the tank under the seat and real low COG, but they moved the tank to the more traditional location with the the new F850GS.

KTM 790 puts the fuel low and in front of the engine. I think you definitely want guards for that.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

View attachment 55785

I just don't know how deep offroad you can take this. Definitely not as deep as the AT. Probably limited to "urban adventure".

It's sustained top speed is limited to just over 160 km/h (100 mph), but the fuel economy is stellar.

Nevertheless, one might be able to wake it from a nap with their pinky finger. :p
Ya know,
I actually like the looks of that bike. I don't know if they had one at the dealership when I purchased my A/T or not but, when I occasionally look for A/T's for sale on Craigs list or other avenues, that's the first thing that comes up if it's a dealership that placed any ads. And, it comes up in the Adventure series bikes. Maybe someday, I'll take a test run on one.
Scott

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Ya know,
I actually like the looks of that bike. I don't know if they had one at the dealership when I purchased my A/T or not but, when I occasionally look for A/T's for sale on Craigs list or other avenues, that's the first thing that comes up if it's a dealership that placed any ads. And, it comes up in the Adventure series bikes. Maybe someday, I'll take a test run on one.
Scott
It is actually a great bike if you are not looking for a ton of horsepower (55 hp). But it will take off well from stop and there is a DCT option. In addition, where the fuel tank is traditionally, it is storage, enough for a full-face helmet, gloves, tech junk, lunch, etc. It was this bike that pointed me to the AT. I wish I could have kept both.

I think there has been zero issues with the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gang,
Ok, some of you have red that my two week old, 2018 AT/AS DCT decided to take a short nap, ON THE STREET as I made a U-turn but, hit tiny bit of sand/dirt on the side of the street almost all the way through the U-turn. Well it was on it's side, laying in the situation where the tank was facing down hill (the street has a decent grade). Once I stood up and was enduring some phenomenal embarrassment 'cause this was in the middle of the day, on a residential street with of course, EVERYONE home due to the virus etc. NOT GOOD!

Well, the mail man who, was about 30' away from this entertainment, and a nice, close by home owner and his little boy came to my aid. I'd tried to lift the AT and, at that time, in that position, there was no way for me to lift it. Thank God those nice folks jumped in and assisted me to get this big girl up-righted so I could try and regain my composure and mount the bike.

Now, ever since that happened, I've cruised the net to check for Fallen Africa Twins to see what maybe others have done in that kind of situation. Well, many of the dirt/adventure bike fall-overs don't apply to my application simply because, many of them have pannier boxes which, do not allow for the bike to fall COMPLETELY over. I specifically targeted the Africa Twin because of its weight and design.

The fact that the Twin, especially the ADVENTURE SPORTS model, is WEIGHT HIGH or, it's a TOP HEAVY bike, makes it more difficult to lift from a totally nap position than even some full dress Goldwings and Harely's because most of their weight is down low. In many youtube demo's, there appears to be a few different body ergonomics that are applied when lifting other type dirt/adventure bikes.

One is, get on your knees and put your chest against the seat, grab two places as low and tucked under the bike as you can, that will support you trying to right the bike and then, just push your chest against the seat while inching your way forward with your knees, wall the while lifting. Hmmmm, not sure about that one.

Another way is to bend over, with your butt against or, maybe just above the seat, grab the low side handle bar, and whatever else you can with your other hand and, keeping your back straight, using your legs, you can slowly lift that bike back to the righted position. Well, again, I'd have to lay this almost brand new bike back down, maybe even in the dirt since this most likely WHERE this potential mishap could happen, and try one or more of the techniques stated.

Then, there's the Eastbound Motowinch. That tool, which is carried in a small pouch, gets assembled and placed in the appropriate place with a ratchet mechanism and strap attached to the low side handlebar. You then start ratcheting and, the bike starts lifting. You keep ratcheting 'till that bike is at a lifted position, high enough for you to manually finish raising it to the point the stand can support it.

So, for those of you that have had the unfortunate experience of a fallen AT, and an Adventure Sports model at that, did you lift it yourself, and how did you do it? Oh by the way, to help with the dynamics and over all picture, what is your size, weight, age and physical status (how would you classify your strength?)? I'm 6' 2.5" and at present, about 242 lbs. I'm 67 years old and, consider myself pretty much OK in the strength department but, not overly strong.
Scott
6’5 250 63 yrs and I had a similar embarrassment. The fact is that the gas tank full of gas on the adventurous sport adds about 50 pounds and increases the center of gravity substantially.

Don’t feel alone. i’m in experience big bore single Enduro rider and needed help from friends and family to write the bike with a full tank of gas.

eastbound motorwinch here I come.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
6’5 250 63 yrs and I had a similar embarrassment. The fact is that the gas tank full of gas on the adventurous sport adds about 50 pounds and increases the center of gravity substantially.

Don’t feel alone. i’m in experience big bore single Enduro rider and needed help from friends and family to write the bike with a full tank of gas.

eastbound motorwinch here I come.
bigam….
I'm definitely sorry for your incident. That sucks. Not a whole lot to say here other than, the big girl is a ton of fun to drive. I get pleasure out of it each and every time. But, the big girl is also HEAVY TOO. And, as you say, having a full tank, when the beast is napping, IS NOT FUN, to right the bike. I had a chance to use my wazoo Eastbound Motowinch the other day. It's a long story but, I went into the garage for something and, the A/T was laying on its side. CRAP! NOT AGAIN!!!

So, I thought, what the heck, this is what I bought it for. So, out came the pouch, emptied all the contents and put the little motowinch together which took about a minute or less. I remembered the instructions and one or two videos I'd seen and, before ya know it, I was hiking that bike back up, with the use of that ratcheting jack. It came right up with actually very little effort. Once I got it to around oh, maybe 75 or 80 degrees up from horizontal, I just pushed it the rest of the way, 'till it was sitting on the side stand, that I'd already put out so the bike could land on it.

Without a doubt, a bit costly, and, a bit cumbersome to carry around but, worth every single penny I paid.
Scott

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dropped it yesterday. I was on a dirt road, alone (really dumb). It was on a decline (not super steep but steep enough to make it difficult). The road was rutted and I hit the rut and tipped over. Here is the issue, handlebar, seat and tail where all in the rut and the front wheel was facing downhill. One in a 1000 right? It honestly took me nearly 45 minutes to lift her. I had zero leverage. I am buying this.. I might never use it, but I promise, it will give me piece of mind...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Ok DT,
I see you laughing....
I use a Condor wheel chock for parking the A/T in the garage. It's simple, roll up to it, it catches the bike in an ALMOST straight up position. I say almost because, you can actually park the bike in the chock with it leaning a bit to either side. That's not a good way to leave it. So, when I park the bike on the chock, I step off and go behind the bike to see if it's straight up vertical. It is easy to correct the bike to a straight up vertical position simply by PUSHING it easily toward the direction that straightens it up and, a tiny bit farther. When it springs back, it will be straight up.

But, what I didn't account for was the pitch of the garage floor. It has a pitch in both directions from the center point of the chock so, the chock was actually rocking both the right and left. I didn't realize that and, when I walked away, the bike apparently had a slight lean to the right. So, once the bike started to slowly lean to the right, and I wasn't there to correct it, it just slowly kept going, 'till it fell. It was a slow fall though. Nothing broke.

But, I did get the chance to use my new motowinch. As stated, it worked like a charm. I should have had the CEO film me using it.
Scott

Dropped it yesterday. I was on a dirt road, alone (really dumb). It was on a decline (not super steep but steep enough to make it difficult). The road was rutted and I hit the rut and tipped over. Here is the issue, handlebar, seat and tail where all in the rut and the front wheel was facing downhill. One in a 1000 right? It honestly took me nearly 45 minutes to lift her. I had zero leverage. I am buying this.. I might never use it, but I promise, it will give me piece of mind...
JJ,
I'm slightly confused by the link you linked. Your avatar indicates you're from CO. But, from what I can decipher, it looks like someone is ordering that bike lift from the USA and it's going to Fiji. It states: "From USA to Fiji in 9-15 days". It's not a big deal but, just wondering. It also sates: 829 FJ$ Is the prices $829.00 or ?
Scott

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok DT,
I see you laughing....
I use a Condor wheel chock for parking the A/T in the garage. It's simple, roll up to it, it catches the bike in an ALMOST straight up position. I say almost because, you can actually park the bike in the chock with it leaning a bit to either side. That's not a good way to leave it. So, when I park the bike on the chock, I step off and go behind the bike to see if it's straight up vertical. It is easy to correct the bike to a straight up vertical position simply by PUSHING it easily toward the direction that straightens it up and, a tiny bit farther. When it springs back, it will be straight up.

But, what I didn't account for was the pitch of the garage floor. It has a pitch in both directions from the center point of the chock so, the chock was actually rocking both the right and left. I didn't realize that and, when I walked away, the bike apparently had a slight lean to the right. So, once the bike started to slowly lean to the right, and I wasn't there to correct it, it just slowly kept going, 'till it fell. It was a slow fall though. Nothing broke.

But, I did get the chance to use my new motowinch. As stated, it worked like a charm. I should have had the CEO film me using it.
Scott

JJ,
I'm slightly confused by the link you linked. Your avatar indicates you're from CO. But, from what I can decipher, it looks like someone is ordering that bike lift from the USA and it's going to Fiji. It states: "From USA to Fiji in 9-15 days". It's not a big deal but, just wondering. It also sates: 829 FJ$ Is the prices $829.00 or ?
Scott
Hi Scott .. that is on me, the link was more to show what I am ordering. The Price is $210.00... here is a better link from amazon. I am glad you used it. Honestly, I could probably pick up the bike 8 our 10 times, but this was one of those 2 times that honestly had me puffing... It was stupid, I was alone (which I ride often but seldom on unknown roads, no cell coverage, blah blah blah).
Here is a better link - Amazon.com: MotoBikeJack Portable Motorcycle Jack (Black): Home Improvement

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Ok DT,
I see you laughing....

Scott
Yeah, it was the way you wrote it, " ... was laying on its side. CRAP! NOT AGAIN!"

I reckon no rim damage when using the Condor, being the 21" rim is somewhat narrow?

·
Super Moderator
1,423 Posts
...It was stupid, I was alone (which I ride often but seldom on unknown roads, no cell coverage, blah blah blah).
If you're going to do that, you should at least carry an inReach or Spot with you. I always have my inReach with me even when traveling with others, but I definitely wouldn't venture off into unknown territory alone without it. Cell phone is all but useless out there :)

·
Super Moderator
1,423 Posts
I have cought myself a few times where I have forgotten it because I was doing an update or a charge and was like "welp, guess I am not doing this today!".

Stay safe! :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Yeah, it was the way you wrote it, " ... was laying on its side. CRAP! NOT AGAIN!"

I reckon no rim damage when using the Condor, being the 21" rim is somewhat narrow?
Well,
So far, at around 65 mph on a short run to Lowes, I've felt no issues with the front end and or, front wheel. Maybe I got lucky. One of these days I'll quit screwing up.
Scott

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Hi Scott .. that is on me, the link was more to show what I am ordering. The Price is $210.00... here is a better link from amazon. I am glad you used it. Honestly, I could probably pick up the bike 8 our 10 times, but this was one of those 2 times that honestly had me puffing... It was stupid, I was alone (which I ride often but seldom on unknown roads, no cell coverage, blah blah blah).
Here is a better link - Amazon.com: MotoBikeJack Portable Motorcycle Jack (Black): Home Improvement
If you're referring to using a jack to lift mine, It's not the Motojack. It's the Eastbound Motowinch, from the Netherlands. Pretty much the same concept and almost the same components.
Scott

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
You are absolutely correct. I have my spot 3 and did not take it with me. Night my brightest moment
Sometimes I get concerned as a rider worrying, or trying to remember, or trying to re-configure, or is it charged, all the electronic gadgetry in preparation for the ride. But it is not a concern about the gadgets - but the "spiritual purity" of why I am going for a ride in the first place. Once upon a time the gadgetry did not exist. You simply popped on the helmet and rode ( ... ah crap, forgot the wallet ... ).

81 - 100 of 103 Posts