Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
With just 100 miles on the clock, a deer decided the bike looked much too nice in its unscathed red, white and blue livery and I ended up on the floor. Thanks to a good jacket and good boots, I was largely uninjured. I'd armed myself with the "stand away from the bike and lift it" videos and was surprised to find that adrenalin and my 72-year old body picked it up quite readily, something I'd done successfully with my NC700X, but had been unable to do with my VFR. It was on level ground on the roadway, so that made it far easier. I suspect that if it fell on unlevel terrain so that it was facing downhill, it might take two people or a jack of some kind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is always this Adventure model where the inline twin engine is slung real low and the fuel tank is below the rider's seat:

View attachment 55785

I just don't know how deep offroad you can take this. Definitely not as deep as the AT. Probably limited to "urban adventure".

It's sustained top speed is limited to just over 160 km/h (100 mph), but the fuel economy is stellar.

Nevertheless, one might be able to wake it from a nap with their pinky finger. :p
I have a 2017 NC700X and while it is a "CUV" of motorcycles, off road is certainly possible so long as you remember that ground clearance is limited, just like suspension travel. It's a sweet ride in any event and if you've got the room, a great companion to the Africa Twin. Fast enough, fun in the twisties and one of the world's great commuters. Add in the "frunk" and you can pick up dinner or groceries on the way home...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I started riding when I was 15 years old. Presently I'm 71 so I've had to pick up a few bikes over the years including my AT. I've always used the butt against the saddle method. It lets you lift with your legs and not your back. lifting with your back, especially at my age, is best avoided.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Brand new with only 75 miles, I slipped on some gravel in friends driveway and down went my ATAS. Since I or my friend did not know any of these techniques a quick call to get a tow truck and $185 later it was upright and delivered to my home. Tow operator over the phone says $135 + $50 for a "helper" which turned out to be his wife and they lifted only by the handlebars and had hard time between both of them. I have not ridden it much since then, but plan to since just got my 5 year extended warranty plus the tow package with 4 service pick up calls per year. I better start exercising because I get tired just bending down to get the newspaper. In my early 50s, 6 foot, 245 lbs and bench press less than 100lbs. I blame the Cheetos, I benched 285 in college so I'm not sure what's happened in the last 30 years. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
Brand new with only 75 miles, I slipped on some gravel in friends driveway and down went my ATAS. Since I or my friend did not know any of these techniques a quick call to get a tow truck and $185 later it was upright and delivered to my home. Tow operator over the phone says $135 + $50 for a "helper" which turned out to be his wife and they lifted only by the handlebars and had hard time between both of them. I have not ridden it much since then, but plan to since just got my 5 year extended warranty plus the tow package with 4 service pick up calls per year. I better start exercising because I get tired just bending down to get the newspaper. In my early 50s, 6 foot, 245 lbs and bench press less than 100lbs. I blame the Cheetos, I benched 285 in college so I'm not sure what's happened in the last 30 years. 🤣
@Im_Too_Tired: You appear to be a member of an elite, but growing subgroup of the Africa Twin Forum. A thread should probably be started which includes some sort of collage of napping ATs. It also appears that owner's nap stories are just a little bit different from the others. Interesting.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I'm too tired,
Yeah, waaaaaaaaaaay back a few eons ago, I too was able to bench press a serious amount in high school and, college. I could leg press at that time, (BC) I was able to do 400 with a leg press. But today, as my story as the OP states, the AT/AS, especially with a full tank, it's a serious load to right, also especially if the tank if facing downhill. So, I'm not even gonna fight it in the future. I'm gonna break out my lift mechanism and, let IT do the work.
Scott

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the ATAS and I'm 5' 9" and a bit...I find it tall...(31" inseam works well for me in street clothes) I've been running with the seat in the low position. I dropped mine the 2nd week I had it. Out on a fire road that led to nowhere with a buddy on a VStrom.

Dropped it while trying to get turned around in a tight deadend on a small hill...tried to start off and turn across the hill but didn't work, couldn't reach the ground on the low side and over she went. I went ass over tea kettle (somersault) down the hill...lol, probably looked funny as heck. So, she landed right side, tank down past 90 degrees on the hill. No panniers or cases, just upper crash bars. Detonated the right plastic handguard, twisted the bars in the clamps, busted the end off the front brake lever and scratched up the crash bar.

I guess adrenaline rush assisted in picking it up...I had wondered up til that point if I could actually do it myself. I can. I'm 48 and truly in the worst shape of my life. I'm not a small guy and I'm no beast but I can hold my own. I lifted straight up using my legs and arms facing the bike. Grabbed the throttle end of the bar and the grab bar at the back and heaved 'er up. I wouldn't want to have to pick it up very often...she's a hefty girl...but more of her to love! LOL:LOL:

As I said in another post, this is my first ADV "big bike" and had I been on a smaller machine it wouldn't have been an issue. I'm still having to adjust my riding to suit this machine and because of the height and weight I have to constantly re-think those tight quarters turn arounds. Yeah, I'm not gonna shy away from riding where I want, I just have to keep adapting. I won't lie, I've already gone single track and did about 100 kms of double track with the AT last week. Actually rode through a pretty gnarly, muddy, rooty bush re-route around a washout...figured I might as well give 'er and see what happens! We did alright...it's no 250/350 but it's surprisingly capable for such a big machine. I wouldn't recommend single track or bush riding on an AT to someone inexperienced. It has certainly given me reason to be somewhat cautious and re-think my approaches or routes. I like my AT, I don't wanna thrash it and am allergic to pain.....;)

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
That is an upbeat AT napping story @TwinWrangler. A very positive attitude and thankfully, it appears, you were not damaged.

Any snapshot of the napping AT? (the Forum appears to post napping ATs)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Well Gang,
As I've stated a few times, I applaud anyone, no matter what size, shape and age on is, if they can pick up an AT/AS from its napping position and, especially if the napping position is a bit slanted with the tank down hill. It appears that, in my retirement, my laziness has paid off. In an effort (if you want to call it an effort) to NOT KEEP IN SHAPE, my body/muscles etc. have degraded equally along with my brain.
I used to pride myself in my earlier life with my brute strength. But, the BRUTE has fizzled out, along with the strength. Just because I'm still 6'2.5" and around, (I say AROUND) 245 or so, doesn't mean there's an equal strength status along with that size. Oh well, I've compensated for my laziness and weakness. The tool will now do the work that I was able to, long, long ago.
Scott

·
Registered
106 Posts
@Im_Too_Tired: You appear to be a member of an elite, but growing subgroup of the Africa Twin Forum. A thread should probably be started which includes some sort of collage of napping ATs. It also appears that owner's nap stories are just a little bit different from the others. Interesting.

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
Okay, this is interesting. Which story fits the image?
  1. The nap is staged.
  2. @Im_Too_Tired was practicing AT lifting technique.
  3. @Im_Too_Tired needed to examine the bottom.
  4. The AT has feline tendencies and rushed out to graze on some grass.
  5. @Im_Too_Tired along with the AT were ejected from the home. :rolleyes:
  6. A fuel tank filler cap leak test is being performed.
  7. The AT failed to make the right turn into the backyard and subsequently napped.
  8. Junior got his hands on Daddy's keys and attempted a ride.
  9. The image is not real. It is photo-shopped.
  10. Somebody had a tantrum.
  11. The Honda cast aluminum side stand failed.
  12. The side stand was forgot to be put down.
  13. The AT is about to give birth. (Wouldn't that be sweet?)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
What's the yellow object(s) on the front wheel?
Scott

·
Registered
151 Posts
Okay, this is interesting. Which story fits the image?
  1. The nap is staged.
  2. @Im_Too_Tired was practicing AT lifting technique.
  3. @Im_Too_Tired needed to examine the bottom.
  4. The AT has feline tendencies and rushed out to graze on some grass.
  5. @Im_Too_Tired along with the AT were ejected from the home. :rolleyes:
  6. A fuel tank filler cap leak test is being performed.
  7. The AT failed to make the right turn into the backyard and subsequently napped.
  8. Junior got his hands on Daddy's keys and attempted a ride.
  9. The image is not real. It is photo-shopped.
  10. Somebody had a tantrum.
  11. The Honda cast aluminum side stand failed.
  12. The side stand was forgot to be put down.
  13. The AT is about to give birth. (Wouldn't that be sweet?)
My vote is #2 or #4...I can’t decide.

·
Super Moderator
2,188 Posts
Reactions: DoubleThumper
101 - 120 of 150 Posts