Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
Hey DT,
Some people acquire Narcolepsy, the A/T's get Twin-o-lepsy. :ROFLMAO:
I knew a guy once who had narcolepsy. He eventually got let go from his job. Smart and upbeat guy, Ph.D. in mathematics. But fell asleep at too many CEO boardroom meetings. Don't worry, I believe he got well treated going out-the-door (what he told me anyway).

The AT and I have an understanding (so far): No napping.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It always falls with bars rotated hard to the fall side. Mud ruts, practising 360 turns on gravel when the engine coughs and dies, pant leg caught on foot peg, running out of momentum or traction on a rain-rutted gravel hill...
I just face the bike, grab the bark buster and the rear rack hand grip, get in close and do a straight back deadlift. Bike in gear and side stand down as appropriate.
I don't bother rotating the bars to do the two-hand cup of the bar end - bike lies too flat and doing this only scuffs stuff up.
I don't try the sit down back to the bike lift either - can't see what's happening and heels slip on mud / dirt.
I'm 66 yrs old 155lb and 5'6"

·
Registered
61 Posts
We now pick up any heavy bike easily with our leight weight portable Crane mounted under the left side pannier
with two m6 bolts.
Note : do not forget to drag the handbrake on a DCT or lock the front-brake before start with a strap or a pice of string 😉

If you are not Superman with Supernatural powers you can always do the job with a little technical assistance and prevent a lot of pain in the back muscles afterwards 😉
Regards Svendus.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
We now pick up any heavy bike easily with our leight weight portable Crane mounted under the left side pannier
with two m6 bolts.
Note : do not forget to drag the handbrake on a DCT or lock the front-brake before start with a strap or a pice of string 😉

View attachment 57996
View attachment 57997
View attachment 57998
View attachment 57999
View attachment 58000
View attachment 58001

If you are not Superman with Supernatural powers you can always do the job with a little technical assistance and prevent a lot of pain in the back muscles afterwards 😉
Regards Svendus.
Svendus,
Wow, that's a nice looking lift-assist mechanism. I and maybe one or two others on here have what's called the Motowinch made by Eastbound in New Zealand. If you've not seen one, you can look them up on youtube but, in short, it's the same basic component you're displaying, a mechanical assist, lifting device. Is there a demo of how yours works someplace? I'd like to see one and compare it to my motowinch. Yours looks really slick.

About the only thing I'm not too sure about is, the ratcheting mechanism is carried out in the open which, could subject it to dirt/debris/mud and possible damage from contacting whatever. I surely am not "Superman with supernatural powers" so, I DEFINETLY need a mechanical advantage if and when, the A/T decides to take a nap. I've said it before, I applaud anyone, especially older aged (as in my age of 68 or so) gents (and maybe women riders) who can lift an AT/AS/DCT (with a full tank of fuel), laying completely on it's side, with NO PANNIERS and no engine protection, (another words, bone stock), simply by applying body physics at the appropriate time, in the appropriate places, and upright that machine. Thanks for showing that.
Scott

Reactions: jamnut and Svendus

·
Registered
61 Posts
@FIRE UP
we shall bring my bike to a place here next week in the middle off no ware
drop it and shoot a video on lifting it back on the wheels!
i become 70 next month and from my 52 years off riding the Africa Twin are the heaviest bike we ever had
mussels actually decrees a bit in old days :sick:

·
Registered
61 Posts

How we lift a dropped heavy Adventure bike back on the wheels again
the bike on the Video my Honda AfricaTwin DCT are 240 kg.=529.11 pounds.
but with full packets it easily goes over 300kg.
Note: do not forget to drag the handbrake on a DCT or lock the front brake on a bike with manual gearbox. (y)

141 - 150 of 150 Posts