Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer I had a ladder go out from under me and was hanging from a joist and it didn't do anything good for my shoulder. I went from being able to go 300 miles a day with no problems to a 45 minute ride turning into pure **** under my shoulder blade. I got the risers and taller windshield. Had a custom seat made that used to make 120 miles between stops easy. But, the shoulder thing is still a problem. I can do a 200 mile day on my big Harley with no problem. Even the day buzzing about on my Vespa doesn't even set it off. But when I'm on the AT, all **** breaks loose. Doing PT and all that. Kayaking and working construction is no problem. I spent a lot of time looking for the AT I really wanted but it's looking like I'm going to have to sell it if I cannot get something to help. Anyone out there deal with this? Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is it worse in stop/go city traffic or longer runs at a steady speed?
As an ancient (77) I was able to extend my riding years by buying a 2017 DCT and fitting McCruise.
Wonderful 20k miles this year, many 400+ mile days.
Most of the time, try for a relaxed posture, with both hands resting lightly over the grips.
The AT runs straight without effort, often my right hand is off the bars.
Using body weight into a turn with knees gripping the tank feels natural to me.
Using earplugs and comfortable riding gear can help.

How does your riding and arm positions compare between AT and HD?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm almost 70 now but in my early 60's I was still road racing and got badly hurt when another bike hit me on the track. Badly damaged left shoulder and right wrist, fractured ribs and vertebrae etc, so when I say that I feel your pain I'm not kidding. After months of physiotherapy I was able to ride again but had the same problems that you're having with pain. For me the solution is daily exercise and stretching. If I keep my shoulders loose there is no problem. Have you considered that you might have torn something in your shoulder?

Hope that you get this sorted out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tore my interior rotator cuff last year, and experienced similar issues to you - I could ride my Connie most of the day with minimal pain, but 30 miles on the AT would about kill me. As I've recovered and stretched / gently worked it back towards normal, things have improved. I suspect it has something to do with the posture on the AT / width of the bars vs street bikes... All I can suggest is get professional advice, do stretches and gentle exercise to improve. Best of luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

Is it worse in stop/go city traffic or longer runs at a steady speed?
Steady speed. When I'm bouncing around in the wilds, no problems at all.

As an ancient (77) I was able to extend my riding years by buying a 2017 DCT and fitting McCruise.
Wonderful 20k miles this year, many 400+ mile days.
Most of the time, try for a relaxed posture, with both hands resting lightly over the grips.
The AT runs straight without effort, often my right hand is off the bars.
Using body weight into a turn with knees gripping the tank feels natural to me.
Using earplugs and comfortable riding gear can help.
I did have a throttle lock which I removed when I put on the puffy grips. It seemed to make no difference.

How does your riding and arm positions compare between AT and HD?
Very different. I've sent pix of me sitting on the AT to my physical therapist. He wants me to bring the bike to my next visit to get a better look at my position.

Have you considered that you might have torn something in your shoulder?
Hope that you get this sorted out.
Thank you. My PT thinks it's soft tissue and when he's done with me it hurts like heck for a day, then for a week it's great. I'm hoping doing my exercises and the treatments will do it.

It's terribly frustrating in that in almost every other activity, it feels fine. Even on the other bikes, as mentioned. As with more than a few of us who have embraced motorcycling, I've had my share of owies. I've always healed. I know that as I flounder into my 60s, I should expect longer healing times.

Thanks again for all your comments and sharing your experiences. I'll update as things change,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey i had a thought riding to work this morning ... i was playing around with how i sat and realized that i too was uncomfortable this morning .. i had my wallet in my back pocket and was making me sit off center.

im thinking you have eliminated this as a potential cause but thought id bring it up just in case

·
Registered
38 Posts
How about handle bar positioning? I purchased my 2017 DCT in May of 2018 and after a few months found the handle bar positioning very uncomfortable. I added the ROX HANDLEBAR PIVOTING RISER 2"X1-1/8"X1-1/8" 1R-P2PP and made a world of difference in the ride for me. Regards

·
Registered
249 Posts
Installed the MCCruise.com unit on mine, and if frankly functions as well as any cruise on any vehicle I have ever had. Worth a shot if your comfortable tearing into the bike. I would hate to spend the $ for a shop to do it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about handle bar positioning? I purchased my 2017 DCT in May of 2018 and after a few months found the handle bar positioning very uncomfortable. I added the ROX HANDLEBAR PIVOTING RISER 2"X1-1/8"X1-1/8" 1R-P2PP and made a world of difference in the ride for me. Regards
Put 'em on and did about 50 miles. Not too much pain on the inaugural flight. I've been told to keep from getting too chilled so the longer rides will have to wait until things warm up a bit.

The thing I'm getting from this thread (and elsewhere) is it's gonna be a bunch of little things combined to get the pain manageable. The risers, taller windshield, throttle lock, highway pegs, and one that just came my way, suspension adjustment. And, of course, listening to my physical therapist. So, thanks for all the comments. Right now things are a little cold in the PNW and the PT said to avoid getting too cold. Of course I donned my one-piece and went for a spin. Yeah, he was right....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got shoulder problems so I sympathise but no big deal on the AT fortunately. As the standard seat has two height positions it might be worth changing from the setting you currently have, a subtle change in height affects all the other limb angles, you never know?
Good luck!
Mike

·
Registered
249 Posts
I know that you indicated you were doing PT, but I will offer another thought. A really good Massage Therapist. I just got back to the office from my weekly 1-hour of abuse followed by a Cryo-therapy session, and I find it does wonders for my riding comfort. Not the most fun in process as I have asked him what his wish was as my body feels like it will snap like a big wish-bone, but it really increases my range of motion, and then the cryo-chamber at a -220 for a short stint increases the circulation dramatically. Worth a shot!

Oh, and Ewan, i think I can be of some help with the whole wallet thing, you can just send it my way and I will hold onto it for you. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a rotator cuff injury and delt with pain and loss of motion for many years. I didn't believe in chriopactac care or theraputic massage. I tried it and it's changed my life. Self care becomes so important as we get older and dealing with past injuries. Just be sure your therapist understands your seeking goal oriented massage not relaxation like sweedish style. Check with your local hospital, many of them have therapist on staff and usealy offer very competitive rates and good skill set. Best of luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts