Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No hands rear wheel lift trick..

Although I have not yet pulled the rear wheel on the ATAS I’ve had the rear off dozens of times on my old bike and we all know they are heavier than they look. I suppose that most ( if not all ) of you probably put the wheel back on like I used to. Sit on the ground, put the wheel in place, lift it , shove your feet (or other items) under it to try and balance and hold it up to get the axel in & through...well I’ve come up with a a stupidly simple, easy and almost hands free way.
All you need is rear pannier racks ( you could use the bikes frame or rear grab handles too ) and around a 4ft. Pice of wood that will fit through the spokes on the wheel, a broom handle would work fine too - you could use a metal pipe and some rags over the pipe where it contacts the rim. Also some heavy “zip ties” (work the best) or rope/twine....

The how to:
Roll the wheel in place, put on al the necessary parts (chain, brake, bearing caps, etc. - on the opposite side (nut side) use the zip tie/rope and tie a loop over the point where the axle slides through or if you have pannier racks just tie a loop on the bottom rail - make the loop short, usually it should come down to around even with the top of the tire - run the wood through the loop then though the rim - now hers where having long zip ties come in handy, but it can be done by looping zip ties together too, leave the ties kinda long so you can just push the wood through the rim and through the loop of the ties on the other side - the farther the wood goes through the more leverage you’ll have and the easier the wheel will be to pick up - on the side with the loose zip tie use the end of the wood to pick the wheel up, get it close to the height needed to get the axle to slip through, don’t worry about getting it exactly the right height actually you need to keep it just a bit LOW, close to high enough will do, tighten the zip tie to that height. Now here the nice part if you have pannier racks, you can easily slide the whole wheel forward and aft to get the brake aligned and in its slot and forward enough the get the chain back on the sprocket - once everything is ready to go and the bearings are close to the slot on the swing arm - once you ave the axel in hand and are ready to slide it in, I use my shoulder to lift up on the wood and the wheel to get it to the height so the axle will slide right in..

two things really nice about doing it this way..
One for the most part the wheel hanging there will hang fairly plum so when you slide the axle through it usually goes all the way though and not hit the swig arm.
Two getting the brake aligned and “in the slot” is a breeze...

Below are some shots of what I’m doing, well at least the how it looks just before I slid the axle through, sorry no step by step photo’s...

Attachments

Reactions: ORVdaveVA

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes that is the butt end of a 2014 KLR650

Reactions: MrRobb

·
Registered
173 Posts
Definitely inventive ! Gotta love those Shinko 244s or Kenda K270s (hard to tell apart). They do really well as a 50/50 tire.....and cheap!!!!!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely inventive ! Gotta love those Shinko 244s or Kenda K270s (hard to tell apart). They do really well as a 50/50 tire.....and cheap!!!!!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
Thanks.

Kenda’s, my third set of Kenda’s had the big block on before those - liked both, neither gave me any issues, liked the 270’s a bit more in the mud and on gravel...

Reactions: MrRobb
1 - 5 of 5 Posts