Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Adventure Sport bought a little over a month ago. I have noticed the optimate plug that is fitted on LHS below the seat. The handbook makes no mention of it and am wondering if it is used for connecting a charger and whether it can also be used to power a tire inflator. Am hesitant to use the accessory outlet (cigarette lighter connection) as believe it is only rated at 2A.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have the AS with a battery charger pigtail connected direct to the battery. I suspect yours will be the same. I have tried my air compressor and it works fine. One of the two wires will have an inline fuse but I cant remember its rating - higher than 2A I reckon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi BK, just to clarify - did you connect compressor to the Optimate plug (its what is written on the cover) or the accessory outlet? Thanks

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
I believe that the charger pigtails, Optimate/Battery tender are usually something the dealer "throws in" and not put on by Honda? It least every bike I have had with one attached (or not) was because the dealer-installed it (or didn't). I believe that is why there is no mention of it in the handbook.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
Dealers put those on so they can keep the batteries topped up while the bike sits on the showroom floor.
My dealership puts then on during the assembly/setup when they charge the battery. Even straight out of the crate they have them on delivery.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2019 Adventure Sport bought a little over a month ago. I have noticed the optimate plug that is fitted on LHS below the seat. The handbook makes no mention of it and am wondering if it is used for connecting a charger and whether it can also be used to power a tire inflator. Am hesitant to use the accessory outlet (cigarette lighter connection) as believe it is only rated at 2A.
Thanks guys
I recently got a digi tyre inflator and it worked a treat from the accessory outlet no problem, obviously just make sure the bike is started when using and the amperage should be ok. I wouldn't use the optimate plug for accessories.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts