Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a Ohlins rear shock from Cogent Dynamics and got on the Ohlins fork waiting list.

Rear Shock ships tomorrow (friday 12-20), front fork ETA is all over the board, could be next week, early Jan 2019 or early Feb 2019.:crying: I'm on the list though and plan to ride this out. Probably won't even install the new rear shock until I get the forks in my hand.

Reason I went with the whole fork verses cartridge upgrade is when I sell this bike on down the road I will sell it stock and pull the ohlins stuff off and sell to an individual. Been burned by that on past bikes.

Looked like a lot of money but I have spent way more in the past on road race bikes for good suspension components. Really like the Honda just know it could be so much better with good suspension under it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did the same thing during the Black Friday sale.
I installed the rear shock though. It has quite a different feel from the stocker.

I figure the forks will arrive at some point in 2019. Hopefully be ready for adventures in the spring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was on the Ohlins fork list with Cogent Dynamics prior to Ohlins having it's supply problem, and even then my forks weren't expected to be delivered until February 2019. After getting the word that there was going to be a delay with delivery and that there wasn't any known date when the forks would be back in production, I ordered the Ohlins cartridge kit which arrived in my hands within a week. Very happy with the Ohlins cartridge and if I ever sell the bike I can easily pull out the Ohlins fork cartridges and install the stock cartridges back inside the forks. Also bought the rear Ohlins shock from Cogent which I'm also very happy with.

Reactions: ride365

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been waiting for my Ohlins rear shock since September thru Konflict motorsports. I gave up on Ohlins and went with the Touratech Extreme shock. It will arrive today. Ohlins is having to many issues right now so I gave up. Was gonna go with the front forks also but was told June is when they will be ready. Looks like I will go with Touratech cartridge. According to Konflict Ohlins is having metalargy and tolerance problems. No thanks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I will wait for Wilbers suspension, front and rear for my bike. No rush.

Had their suspension in the GS for a number of years and it's been fantastic, doesn't have the same level of kudos of Ohlins. But that doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll wait a little while on the forks. Not much riding going on right now with winter. If this drags on I'll just send my forks in and have the drop in 30 mil cartridges added and be done with it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shock came in a day early. I looked at it for a little while and decided to install it. Glad I did, major improvement! Stock rear shock is junk I wouldn’t spend a dime on that pos. Now if my forks would show up I’d be a very happy camper.

Shock pics

·
Registered
53 Posts
[Reason I went with the whole fork verses cartridge upgrade is when I sell this bike on down the road I will sell it stock and pull the ohlins stuff off and sell to an individual. Been burned by that on past bikes
Don't you mean the other way around? I would think a cartridge would be easier to replace than new forks? I post below seems to confirm what I was thinking, but maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't you mean the other way around? I would think a cartridge would be easier to replace than new forks? I post below seems to confirm what I was thinking, but maybe I'm not understanding correctly.
I am not paying to remove any ohlins internals that I put in stock forks. By purchasing WHOLE forks I simply remove the ohlins stuff and put the stock 'junk' back on. I am not working on forks, I have in the past on my dirt bikes but I am not doing it on the AT or my road race bikes. Then sell the bike and some lucky guy gets a good deal on a set of used ohlins forks and rear shock.

We clear now :|

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
roy826 - why did you go with Ohlins and not Touratech? I'm looking at both - that's why I'm asking. Thanks!
Tourtech is just over priced. Everything they sell is priced like it is gold laced. I have had many ohlins products, penske products, K-tech products and JRi. All have been priced accordingly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bought the Hyperpro Rear Spring for 85€, Had it mounted for 80€. Great staff on the road. I have not tried off road and hope it is not to stiff ? I am not sure I need or want to change the front for this reason. I read some comment about Touratech and Hypro from what I read in defferent forum the spring on booth ard Hyperpro.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have two rides so far on my bike with the Ohlins rear shock. Man what a change in the bike! I re-visited my stock front forks and was easily able to achieve 90mm rider sag with only 8 turns in on preload, stock on my DCT is 8.5 turns. Remember I only weigh 140 lbs no gear. Cogent has my rear Ohlins set right now at 76mm rider sag which equals 5 turns in on rear preload adjuster. Rear Ohlins has 30 turns of adjustment range so I have plenty left for my OEM panniers added and camping gear. I altered the stock front rebound and compression settings slightly at 2 turns out on rebound verses stock 2.5 and 2 clicks less out on compression verses stock settings. Front end is way more compliant now with just the addition of the rear shock. I still want the Ohlins forks just because I am certain it'll reach a new high of performance that I'll feel instantly. The front forks with my weight are not terrible but I see and feel room for improvement.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For those in the US, the touratech shock is made by Tractive. It has a nice bottoming valve for large hits. It's fully adjustable. Reb, H+L speed comp, hyd. preload. I think it was $1500USD.
Great shock. It can be ordered through the beemershop in Cali.

I didn't see any point in bying ohlins cartridges.
It doesn't fix the flex or fork wear issue.
If you want cartridges, simply do a revalve on your existing AT cartridge. Cheap, and effective. That still leaves the flex and wear...
Hence the full OHs. I got mine as left over stock from Italy. Brilliant fork. Keep in mind that it comes with springs suited to a spring chicken, so may need proper springs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stock Ohlins fork springs will work for this spring chicken

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I gave up on waiting for the ohlins forks. Too much of a delay.

Moving forward with the ohlins 30 mil drop in cartridges through Cogent Dynamics. FKA 110 kit with correct springs for me and my 4K mile forks will be inspected and serviced in the process. Forks go out tomorrow. I waited 7 weeks on the ohlins forks and there were 3 more guys in front of me. Made some one behind me happy today I guess. Lol

I’ve done the drop in cartridges for years on my road race bikes, it’s good and I’m sure it’ll solve the ATs flimsy no feedback feeling front end. The rear ohlins shock has been absolutely great in 1100 miles. But the stock fronts still all over the place. I had to do something beside wait on something I honestly do not think will ever arrive.

The waiting is the hardest part. At least I have a couple of other bikes to ride in the meantime.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well another setback in this saga to obtain good quality suspension on this bike. Seems Ohlins has issues even providing the 30 mil cartridges and correct springs. My Cartridges are suppose to be at Ohlins now but the springs are now delayed until March 6th.

I swear I have never had this much trouble building suspension on any road race bike in 18 years of doing so. Must be a Honda thing because those Suzuki parts are readily available.

Knowing what I know now I wasted 8 weeks waiting on Ohlins forks that will never arrive. I should have got this 30 mil cartridge and spring ordeal started then maybe it would all be complete by now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts