Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am opening a new thread on this, just because there are so few photos in the net for the combo OM full system bar / OEM skid plate. Actually, I was provided just one photo from OM people when I was checking whether the system is compatible with the OEM skid.

Anyway, after the confirmation from OM people that it is compatible, and after seeing a lot of vids in the net, I decided to invest my hard earned money to this - totally unknown to me - company.

I must say that I did not really liked their system. It looked a bit .... too crowded, too much going there with all those bars mixing together. Still, I found not even one negative comment, so I decided to put - for once - aethestics aside.

I placed the order and the bars where in Greece, in just 10 calendar days. If this seems ok or even late for some people (depending where you live), consider that I had beed waiting for the centerstand (not OEM), for more than 2.5 months! .... also from a EU country.

The OM people answered any question I send them over Messenger within some hrs.

So, I ordered the full system. It came in a box, each parts separately placed in plastic bag and thoroughly wrapped in bubble foil. Each set, came with its bolts etc and a very comprehensive installation manual.

Well, while the installation is not a walk in the park, it is definitelly ressonably easy. This is mainly because the parts are so well manufactured and fit perfectly.

A second person is needed on one or two occasions, when you need to tighten the main bolts, but otherwise it can be a one-man show.

All in all, with some help for the afformentioned tightening, it cost me appr. 1.5 hrs to complete the installation.

The result:

well, the system is extremely rigid. the quality of the brazings, the matting parts and the paint is flawless.
From aesthetic point of view it is one of those cases that the photos do not reflect reality 100%. I mean aside myself, also my wife, and 6 friends we had been discussing this matter and seen photos, all agreed that the bike with the OM bar system would not win any beauty contest. Everyone changed our minds with the real life picture. The system completes perfectly the bike.

Finally, the critical question (for me at least): is it indeed compatible with the OEM skid plate? well, yes it surely is, but you shall need to apply some force to the rightside back fixing bolt. Due to the bars, the skid plate comes a bit outwards and as such the fixing whole is not perfectly alligned with the fixing point. That is just it....no other issues.

I would totally recommend this company. I have even suggested them to my favorit motorcycle accesssories store for potential collaboration.

Finally special thanks to this forum member GARYH, who called OM to verify the compatibility with the skid just because some stranger from half the globe away posted a question.... this is the beauty of motorcyclism!

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am opening a new thread on this, just because there are so few photos in the net for the combo OM full system bar / OEM skid plate. Actually, I was provided just one photo from OM people when I was checking whether the system is compatible with the OEM skid.

Anyway, after the confirmation from OM people that it is compatible, and after seeing a lot of vids in the net, I decided to invest my hard earned money to this - totally unknown to me - company.

I must say that I did not really liked their system. It looked a bit .... too crowded, too much going there with all those bars mixing together. Still, I found not even one negative comment, so I decided to put - for once - aethestics aside.

I placed the order and the bars where in Greece, in just 10 calendar days. If this seems ok or even late for some people (depending where you live), consider that I had beed waiting for the centerstand (not OEM), for more than 2.5 months! .... also from a EU country.

The OM people answered any question I send them over Messenger within some hrs.

So, I ordered the full system. It came in a box, each parts separately placed in plastic bag and thoroughly wrapped in bubble foil. Each set, came with its bolts etc and a very comprehensive installation manual.

Well, while the installation is not a walk in the park, it is definitelly ressonably easy. This is mainly because the parts are so well manufactured and fit perfectly.

A second person is needed on one or two occasions, when you need to tighten the main bolts, but otherwise it can be a one-man show.

All in all, with some help for the afformentioned tightening, it cost me appr. 1.5 hrs to complete the installation.

The result:

well, the system is extremely rigid. the quality of the brazings, the matting parts and the paint is flawless.
From aesthetic point of view it is one of those cases that the photos do not reflect reality 100%. I mean aside myself, also my wife, and 6 friends we had been discussing this matter and seen photos, all agreed that the bike with the OM bar system would not win any beauty contest. Everyone changed our minds with the real life picture. The system completes perfectly the bike.

Finally, the critical question (for me at least): is it indeed compatible with the OEM skid plate? well, yes it surely is, but you shall need to apply some force to the rightside back fixing bolt. Due to the bars, the skid plate comes a bit outwards and as such the fixing whole is not perfectly alligned with the fixing point. That is just it....no other issues.

I would totally recommend this company. I have even suggested them to my favorit motorcycle accesssories store for potential collaboration.

Finally special thanks to this forum member GARYH, who called OM to verify the compatibility with the skid just because some stranger from half the globe away posted a question.... this is the beauty of motorcyclism!
Thank you for info! How much did you pay for shipping?

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Looks pretty dạmned cool, Petros! I like the black. And you are definitely set for any spills--very well protected, my friend.
Great job, man. And thanks for the pictures.

Reactions: Petros Galiatsis

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for info! How much did you pay for shipping?

Hi Zoran

the full kit cost me 524 Euros plus 25 euros shipping (worth every single penny, in my opinion).

the kit comes in 3 parts, so you can choose your combo. The middle part is the main so you needed it anyway. Then you can choose to install the engine bars, the upper bars or both. While I strongly advice on the full kit anyway, definitely the engine bars is something you should not omit if you choose to cut costs. The ATAS engine protrudes sideways and I have seen two videos that a mild crash resulted on engine case rupture.

There are other alternatives as well; the Altriders have launched their system in EU as well, but BE AWARE: their system is NOT compatible with the OEM skid plate. Therefore you shall need to buy their skid plate as well, and the cost will go skyhigh.

Holan is catching up as well; 2 weeks back they informed me they had been waiting for a bike to be delivered and would start working on it immediately. Have seen their system on the standard AT; looks ok, definitely not in par with the OM or the Altrider (IMO), but has a very attractive price.

Hepco has also an engine bar kit (Garyh has installed it already) which looks pretty solid asnd blends perfectly with the OEM light bar.

Also, GIVI has a set of lowers, but no plans for uppers. So, you will not be able to upgrade if you need to do so in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Zoran

the full kit cost me 524 Euros plus 25 euros shipping (worth every single penny, in my opinion).

the kit comes in 3 parts, so you can choose your combo. The middle part is the main so you needed it anyway. Then you can choose to install the engine bars, the upper bars or both. While I strongly advice on the full kit anyway, definitely the engine bars is something you should not omit if you choose to cut costs. The ATAS engine protrudes sideways and I have seen two videos that a mild crash resulted on engine case rupture.

There are other alternatives as well; the Altriders have launched their system in EU as well, but BE AWARE: their system is NOT compatible with the OEM skid plate. Therefore you shall need to buy their skid plate as well, and the cost will go skyhigh.

Holan is catching up as well; 2 weeks back they informed me they had been waiting for a bike to be delivered and would start working on it immediately. Have seen their system on the standard AT; looks ok, definitely not in par with the OM or the Altrider (IMO), but has a very attractive price.

Hepco has also an engine bar kit (Garyh has installed it already) which looks pretty solid asnd blends perfectly with the OEM light bar.

Also, GIVI has a set of lowers, but no plans for uppers. So, you will not be able to upgrade if you need to do so in the future.
Thank you Petros! I think I will go for Hepco like Garyh did...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Add-on question for anyone with an ATAS DCT.....the black solenoid cover on the left side near were the U bend section goes behind the frame.....Did you get the mid bar to fit without removing the cover or did you have to make some modifications to the cover for the bar to fit? I had to take it off so I could get the bars on to make a scheduled ride, but it has been bugging me ever since to find a solution to get the cover back on. I've scoured the threads and have seen pictures with the OM bars on an ATAS DCT with the cover there. HELP!!!!

Here is a picture I found with the cover in place.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Add-on question for anyone with an ATAS DCT.....the black solenoid cover on the left side near were the U bend section goes behind the frame.....Did you get the mid bar to fit without removing the cover or did you have to make some modifications to the cover for the bar to fit? I had to take it off so I could get the bars on to make a scheduled ride, but it has been bugging me ever since to find a solution to get the cover back on. I've scoured the threads and have seen pictures with the OM bars on an ATAS DCT with the cover there. HELP!!!!

Here is a picture I found with the cover in place.

View attachment 56932
removing the cover is the only way.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mechanic who has the DCT version, told me he had to trim a bit this cover to fit.

Also, for the DCT version it was a real PITA to fit the OEM sump guard. It needed quite some modification.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now that I've gone back and looked at my pictures, the one I've included before does not have the cover installed either. I was wrong. Looks just like what I have now.

Getting the OEM bash plate back on was a real PITA. I spent some time with the angle grinder trimming the edges but at some point I'll upgrade to a real bash plate. I was really shocked at how thin the OEM one was and it was only riveted together.
Right side.jpg

·
Administrator
3,332 Posts
Now that I've gone back and looked at my pictures, the one I've included before does not have the cover installed either. I was wrong. Looks just like what I have now.

Getting the OEM bash plate back on was a real PITA. I spent some time with the angle grinder trimming the edges but at some point I'll upgrade to a real bash plate. I was really shocked at how thin the OEM one was and it was only riveted together. View attachment 56959 View attachment 56960

View attachment 56961
I modified mine a little with a cutting wheel on a Dremel

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
I removed the cover then bought the OM bash plate. I emailed Lorry during the install and he said “yeah mate just leave that cover off.” Ok then....no issues so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just don't like the way the plug wires are exposed. I guess I cover the backside of the plug with dieletric grease and then wrap it up with electrical take to make it look cleaner and give it some protection. Thanks for the input everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts