1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
219 Posts
Great i think that we have a winner here , best crash bars out there IMO , Lorry sure listen to the customers .:wink2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
After watching the video of Lorry throughing his bike down the driveway I'm pretty much sold as well I just need a bike to put them on.....and one of you guys to test them out by pushing your bike over lol and I need a centre stand if your reading this Lorry.

·
Registered
460 Posts
They certainly look good, but then so did the SW Motech ones until someone dropped a bike using those bars.

If Lorry could just throw the AT down the road without any damage like he did with the GS I'd be completely convinced. But it may not be his bike I guess!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello,

I was communicating with Lorry today and I'm really looking forward to seeing the bars and the skid plate with the sandblasted and powder coated finish on them....they should look great. I think the value and protection are second to none.....

There is no question in my mind about how well these crash bars and skid plate will protect our Africa Twins. It's not only large diameter tube but he has also used a heavy wall thickness, which is the reason they are so strong...IMHO. I'm going to buy the crash bars and the skid plate as a package when I get my bike, which I heard will be mid June. The deliveries were from Honda Canada: Black bike May (Std), Silver bike DCT(mine) mid June, Rally Red bike (Std) July. Then I will get the luggage rack, too. I can't wait to play with my DCT.....lol. I think my biggest concern with the DCT will be to remember not to blip the throttle when I'm sitting at a red light or I'll launch myself right into the back of the car in front of me....LOL I'm going to have to remember to click it into neutral....

EZ

·
Registered
379 Posts
On Facebook Erey pointed out that these look similar to his SW Motech guards and he had to replace his fairings after crashing in Morocco. He reckons they're too low.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why did he replace the fairings; they look pretty serviceable to me!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess he may need to repair it before selling and going back to a 1200GS or KTM 690.

The AT is much better suspended than the KTM 690. Yes the 690 can brush off a fall, but the suspension is very poor. At least my 2010 was .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really like the build on these but I am very concerned with the tank coverage. Will there be a "fuller" option?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Outback Motortec Crash Bars

I really like the build on these but I am very concerned with the tank coverage. Will there be a "fuller" option?

With amount of relief/offset on the bars they should hold the tank away from
the ground and damage unless you roll it right over or flip it. My feeling is they will protect your bike against tank damage unless it's a really bad crash. I'm not sure but that is probably just a plastic tank cover anyway.

Have you watched his crash test video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaZl38h7OCo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, it looks like a great bar with the bash guard and I have great respect for that video statement.

I just wonder why so many companies build their guards to cover more space for both the AT and all the other ADV bikes if that is not an advantage or just better. The best build with a poor design is almost as bad as a poor build with a good design, with the good build you at least get some safety.

I have no experience on this subject, I am just applying questioning logic. I am on a journey of learning right now, sorry if the questions are stupid.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No the questions aren't stupid. Most times when a bike goes down it's usually
like the crash in Lorry's driveway. With a rigid bar the bike would almost have to have the wheels pointing up to get to the tank and a lot of that motion would be stopped by the handle bars before reaching that position. Don't base your decision on how other makers build there bars because they are probably using much lighter wall thickness, so they are weaker.

Notice the other manufacturers don't do these crash tests because they know their bars will get crushed or collapse on the body work because they use to thin of a wall thickness.

Yes you could get damage to the tank but it would have to be a pretty violent crash to slide along the top of the tank. Because unlike the other bars Outback Motortek won't collapse/flex and allow that contact......IMHO

EZ

Yes, it looks like a great bar with the bash guard and I have great respect for that video statement.

I just wonder why so many companies build their guards to cover more space for both the AT and all the other ADV bikes if that is not an advantage or just better. The best build with a poor design is almost as bad as a poor build with a good design, with the good build you at least get some safety.

I have no experience on this subject, I am just applying questioning logic. I am on a journey of learning right now, sorry if the questions are stupid.

·
Registered
219 Posts
On Facebook Erey pointed out that these look similar to his SW Motech guards and he had to replace his fairings after crashing in Morocco. He reckons they're too low.

NO not he same , the cover goes higher and the steel is thicker and stronger grade ( high tensile steel ) , plus the handlebars are there too so the fuell tank is pretty safe :grin2:
Now lets see what Jonathan brings to the table to see who has the ultimate crash protection . At this moment Lorry is the king of the hill .

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was told by Outback that they fit DCT.

Well, as I said Washryc, if the bars don't collapse like all the weak bars on the market, you will slide on the bars and the ground will get nowhere near your plastic. OM's bars are solid and allow enough space between the very rigid bars
and the bike......

EZ

1 - 20 of 102 Posts