Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wait is still a bit long, but I do feel like it was worth it. I got my full crash bar/bash plate and pannier rack kit from Outback Motortek installed. The build quality is ridiculously good and final construction is very solid. I'm very glad I waited.

Other aftermarket bits also seen here include:
  • VPS Barkbusters - had to order from the UK, but I think they're stateside, finally. Make sure you don't unknowingly unplug cruise control wire on install! :)
  • WRS short windscreen - arrived in 2 days from Italy to US, which is kinda crazy these days. Also the only way to get enough helmet air in the NC heat.
  • Outback Motortek pannier rack toolbox - Very light and secure. Nice shelf for my garage clicker.
  • RAM mount mirrors by DoubleTake - These are actually pretty great if you haven't used them yet. They handle trail drops with a shrug and a yawn.
  • Touratech 20mm Handlebar Risers - Honestly I wish I could go a little higher (I'm 6'4"), but I don't want to muck with cabling/hoses.
  • GUB Plus 6 Phone holder - Super cheap (admittedly I got it secondhand when by brother upgraded) but it's tough as nails and I like the bolt mechanism to tighten onto the phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very nice. I ordered the same set up but white. Hopefully delivered this week. I was able to buy a skid plate on the west coast in black. Pannier rack and crash bar coming from OM in VA. The one gripe I have is OM pretty much forces you to get the whole setup, since the skid plate is not sold by itself.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice setup. I went with black on my red white and blue ATAS and really like how understated the crash bars are. OM makes some really nice stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The wait is still a bit long, but I do feel like it was worth it. I got my full crash bar/bash plate and pannier rack kit from Outback Motortek installed. The build quality is ridiculously good and final construction is very solid. I'm very glad I waited.

View attachment 57210

Other aftermarket bits also seen here include:
  • VPS Barkbusters - had to order from the UK, but I think they're stateside, finally. Make sure you don't unknowingly unplug cruise control wire on install! :)
  • WRS short windscreen - arrived in 2 days from Italy to US, which is kinda crazy these days. Also the only way to get enough helmet air in the NC heat.
  • Outback Motortek pannier rack toolbox - Very light and secure. Nice shelf for my garage clicker.
  • RAM mount mirrors by DoubleTake - These are actually pretty great if you haven't used them yet. They handle trail drops with a shrug and a yawn.
  • Touratech 20mm Handlebar Risers - Honestly I wish I could go a little higher (I'm 6'4"), but I don't want to muck with cabling/hoses.
  • GUB Plus 6 Phone holder - Super cheap (admittedly I got it secondhand when by brother upgraded) but it's tough as nails and I like the bolt mechanism to tighten onto the phone.
Did you have any problems installing the lower crashbar bracket? Did you have to remove the four header bolts first, to remove the upper long bolt? or did you cut the oem bolt? Thanks for any advice you can provide. Cheers!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have any problems installing the lower crashbar bracket? Did you have to remove the four header bolts first, to remove the upper long bolt? or did you cut the oem bolt? Thanks for any advice you can provide. Cheers!
I had the factory engine guards on there originally, so I had to remove that bracket, which requires you drop the headers anyway. Their install video is pretty good, though, if you haven't watched it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same issues since i wasn't paying attention when I pulled out the bolts and a bunch of stuff fell all over the garage floor. So once i got it figured out (with many calls to Lorry) I built the following graphic (PowerPoint) which worked for me....and yes, I had to unbolt the headers as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine went off flawlessly , however i had to buy a long breaker bar , the top bolt was too tight for my small ratchet , as for the rest , it took me about 2 hours to set everything in a condo garage

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Mine went off flawlessly , however i had to buy a long breaker bar , the top bolt was too tight for my small ratchet , as for the rest , it took me about 2 hours to set everything in a condo garage View attachment 57933
Beautifyl. Showroom-like.

Glad you were able to do the work. Most condos (in the Toronto area) do not allow owners to work on their vehicles underground.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are the RAM mount mirrors hard to adjust? I bent my left mirror on a recent trip and might replace both with aftermarket.
Not difficult at all. You can find a nice tension where they pretty much feel like normal mirrors. They take drops much better, though. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts