Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After very carefully installing tape on the nipples and rim double sided sticky tape. I remounted the tire( Mitas E07) I have a leak around 1 spoke nipple. I used all the tape and I am looking for suggestions on how to fix. I have emailed the seller in Japan but no answer for two days now. I want to ride!!! I could abandon the tape and put the tube back in but there must me a quicker fix. Any suggestions?Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
50 Posts
You might be able to use a heat gun and warm it up and use a tool to roll around (end of tire iron) and re-seal. I suspect it wasn't clean enough. I used carb cleaner, followed by Acetone, then washed/scrubbed with Dawn dish washing liquid. Then heated rim while spinning with a rosebud, until was completely dry and warm to the touch. I've got 6 months and 2,000 miles on mine and never leaked a bit. I just installed Orange TPMS sensors yesterday and the Outex tape layers had really vulcanized on both wheels, clear except at the spoke nipple covers. No longer worried about tire rolling it up after initial installation, it's stuck very well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yea, invest in tubeless rims...I can't see these quick fix solutions lasting long at all, good idea but not really long term.
This.

I've never been able to get a spoked wheel that was designed for a tube to be tubeless AND reliable, ever.

Spoked wheels are designed to accommodate slight movement. As such, the spokes flex as do their attachment points.

No matter how much tape, heat, more tape, snot, whatever you have installed, tubes are your best friend in this case.

If you get the tubeless spoked rims, they are specifically designed to be tubeless. Pricey, but worth it if that's what you need.

I've found that tubes are easier to patch, carry a spare and find replacements in a pinch.

ETA: It's also a good idea if you have the room to invest in one of these as you may need to get out of the sun/rain/wind for a time while you work on the bike. These pack up nicely into a very small footprint that fits in most saddle bags/boxes or a backpack.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2011/03/article/dr-fraziers-flat-tire-repair-secrets/

·
Registered
105 Posts
You could try using 3M Extreme Sealing Tape 4411N

I would suggest carefully examining the spoke nipple to establish what caused the breach in the tape if there is one. Sharp edge, defect in the tape et cetera... Once that is rectified you should be able to use the above tape. Google it to researchers its properties.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dismounted, inspected, and found the overlap seam not long enough allowing air to creep through the seam. Applied some gasket seal, worked in the seam then used clear Gorilla Tape in a two way overlap. Remounted applied air and fixed! Thanks to my pal Eric at Flying Tiger Motorcycles in Maplewood Mo. No-Mar tire changer was the savior.

·
Registered
285 Posts
TUBES SUCK!! Had Outex on my previous twin for more than 2 years no problems. Have Outex on my current rims for a year now no problems. Yes my first attempt failed had leak on my rear & front spokes. Then I learned to properly prepare rim surface with acetone. Had to clean it a couple of times before it was ready for sticking the tape. IT LOOKS CLEAN BUT IT AIN'T.!! AFTER EACH SCRUB WITH ACETONE CHECH RIM IN THE SUN FOR DULL SPOTS & CLEAN IT AGAIN!! Then you shall have success. Its all in the preparation!!!!!!!!! Don't let anyone say Outex is crap it works but ONLY IF DONE PROPERLY!!! Way cheaper than tubeless rims.. Keep a spare piece Outex kit for long trips in case you need to patch a rare mishap.. I recommend you put tpms to warn of puncture with this setup so you do not ride for unnecessary long distance with flat tyre & damage the Outex.. Save a fortune with this setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts