Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2018 1 previous owner 6 week old AT came with (apparently) dealer fitted Oxford advanced touring heated grips that on the throttle side look quite frankly - shite. See the attached picture.
I was p!ssed off just looking at it so it had to go.

I managed to buy a single right hand grip just in case I damaged the existing one taking it off. A wise move because I did. Anyway, I removed the existing glue from the plastic throttle tube with a scraper and a strip of emery cloth, cleaned it up with contact cleaner and tried the new grip for fit. It was tight. F tight.
Other brands of grip may be and are of different construction and different glue may well be specified.
Oxford say superglue.

I removed the dry-fitted grip, applied a smear of Loctite super glue to the throttle tube and.. pushed like f... until the grip stopped moving... two thirds of the way on. Screaming expletives I frantically tried to pull it off but with hindsight if it sticks going on it aint coming off either. In my hysteria to get the grip off, yes, I f...ed up the second grip too.

So... another £24 later I'm the owner of third new right hand grip and a new tube of slow-cure (45 seconds) superglue gel. The new grip is just as tight as the previous one so it looks I'm going to have to sand down the throttle tube quite a bit until the new grip slides on more easily. Has anyone else been this unlucky?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Or maybe only glue the inner end about an inch in so the grip will be almost on before it runs into the adhesive? I don't know, just suggesting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
:grin2: No, it's just about 180 degrees out of position. the leads on the grips have left and right labels on them.

As I said I'll have to sand the throttle tube and just glue the last inch as Doug suggested.
Ah okay, almost looked like it was on the wrong side lol.
Any chance you can show the connectors on the Oxford grips? I want to hook them up to the eastern beaver 3cs I’m getting. Is it as simple as cutting off the original connectors and soldering on the ones that come on the 3cs?
Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
No glue needed, it is so tight is isn't going to move. My left grip needed glueing, but my right grip is 100% fine without any glue.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Use grip glue. Honda sells a tube of the stuff and it's about $8.00 (it's been enough to set two pairs of grips). It's slow to set, so you'll have to leave it over night to cure. It also provides a bit of lubrication to help slide on the grips. The throttle side is usually tight and uses a slightly bigger inner diameter to fit over the throttle.
If you have a compressor and a blow gun/cleaning gun you can stick it under the grip and give a blast of air and twist the grips and it'll break the glue bond and the grip will come right off.
Not sure why they give superglue in the Koso and Oxford packages. If you mess up or monkey around it'll stick before you get the grip on. Bummer!

P.S. In your photo that grip is on the wrong side of the bike. Letters should be readable from the seated position.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Its not on the wrong side of the bike, the cables are marked left and right. It's just been mounted 180 degrees out of position hence the Oxford logo is upside down.

Varadero, the new Oxford Advanced grips come with weatherproof plugs/sockets pre-fitted so its a plug and play set up. Mine weren't terminated on the battery so I didn't move them to my Fuzeblock FZ1. The dealer must have sourced a feed elsewhere so I can't comment on the feed end sorry?

·
Registered
297 Posts
As you found out, the right grip is tight enough without glue. I believe Oxford's manufacturer made the master mold just a hair too large for the left grip. First time I ever needed to glue one. Haven't tried Honda grip glue, but everything else loosens with heat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I worked as a Honda tech for a number of years. We always installed them using grip glue. When it's wet is actually acts as a lubricant to help slide them on but you have to act fast. As previously stated the glue bond can be broken with compressed air. My AT came with them dealer installed. Not how I would have done it but it works so I'll leave them alone for now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All done. The right grip has now been put on dry without any glue and the struggle I had to force it on should hopefully ensure that it's not going to move - fingers crossed...

I've uploaded pics of both grips fitted and one of the right one before fitting to show both the plug and label.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the same issue with throttle side grip and their super quick dry glue. I was half way on when it dried. I carefully took a super thin small long electronics screw driver and worked it up in between the grip and throttle tube breaking the super glues hold. With the screw driver sill in place creating a small gap I sprayed some soapy water up in the gap. Let is sit a few minutes and was able to twist the grip the rest of the way up onto the throttle tube. Once on I didn't even have to wait for the soapy water to dry the grip wasn't moving. It'll have to be cut off if ever removed.

Left side was glued on with their slick super glue and slid on the bar way too easy. I expected it to come loose in time but after 2 months both grips are working fine and have not moved.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The trick is to have them tight when they have been hot for a while.
I have fitted one which was tight when fitted but when hot (and presumably softened and expanded) it turned on the bar. Good luck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
...took a super thin small long electronics screw driver and worked it up in between the grip and throttle tube breaking the super glues hold. With the screw driver sill in place creating a small gap I sprayed some soapy water up in the gap.
This how I've removed grips for years, except I spray brake cleaner into it and wiggle the screwdriver to let it spread. I just use brake cleaner because it dries right up. I use it for lubricant when I put them on as well. I've never had to use glue before, until on this left Oxford.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This how I've removed grips for years, except I spray brake cleaner into it and wiggle the screwdriver to let it spread. I just use brake cleaner because it dries right up. I use it for lubricant when I put them on as well. I've never had to use glue before, until on this left Oxford.
Me either the left oxford seems to be a tad to big in diameter from what I felt. I'm surprised my left one is still holding especially with that super glue they provide in the kit.

Best heated grip glue I have ever used is Yamabond7 made by Yamaha. Very good grip glue and they spec it on their factory heated grips and use it on their non heated grips as well. Very good stuff! If my left oxford eventually twist loose I will reinstall it with Yamabond7.

·
Registered
338 Posts
All done. The right grip has now been put on dry without any glue and the struggle I had to force it on should hopefully ensure that it's not going to move - fingers crossed...

I've uploaded pics of both grips fitted and one of the right one before fitting to show both the plug and label.
Thanks for putting up the pics, but I can't tell what connector type that is?
What did you plug it to? I planning on connecting my oxford grips to the Eastern Beaver 3CS so would it just be a matter of cutting off the Oxford connectors and replacing with those from the 3CS? Thanks,

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for putting up the pics, but I can't tell what connector type that is?
What did you plug it to? I planning on connecting my oxford grips to the Eastern Beaver 3CS so would it just be a matter of cutting off the Oxford connectors and replacing with those from the 3CS? Thanks,
The connectors between both grips and the controller are plug 'n play. The only DIY job you'll need to do is at the battery end. The grips are, according to Oxford "UK Specific". As I said the original install was by the dealer so I can't comment on the battery end fitting on my bike sorry.

If it helps, all the YouTube Oxford install videos show the old style white non-weatherproof connectors.
The latest connectors are round black plastic with a sealing gasket and a screw collar to hold the male and female together.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The connectors between both grips and the controller are plug 'n play. The only DIY job you'll need to do is at the battery end. The grips are, according to Oxford "UK Specific". As I said the original install was by the dealer so I can't comment on the battery end fitting on my bike sorry.

If it helps, all the YouTube Oxford install videos show the old style white non-weatherproof connectors.
The latest connectors are round black plastic with a sealing gasket and a screw collar to hold the male and female together.
Ok got it thanks. So grips to controller and then controller has the leads to the battery, meaning I’ll just cut those off and plug into the 3cs once I connect the included connectors from eastern beaver. Should be ok then :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts