Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So new to the forum and to the AT. I have had bikes previously and recently got myself a used 17 model AT, I thought that a good way to lift the rear to service the chain etc would be to buy a Paddock stand. The guys in the accessories store advised the same (and I stupidly listened and bought one with the rubber (feet) for the rear swing arm.

Urgh I think I wasted some money on school fees. Has anyone successfully lifted the At with a Paddock stand. I know I know a centre stand is all I need blah blah but at present I don't have the funds for it (bought the AT for me and a CB125F for my wife in December... ) so was thinking of making it work for now until payday (fork me January is long!...)

Any pics or advice? I have the Oxford premium Paddock stand. I also see there are no holes for bobbins as on my prev bike.

I feel like a tool to be honest but I suppose this is how we learn.

Cheers
Stu

Pic for fun
IMG_20210109_195048_145.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flat rubber for under the swing arm (also has the bobbin inserts). Exact same as below

·
Registered
124 Posts
Okay, the flats aren't ideal but you could have you wife help balance the bike. It's a bit tricky at first to get the movement and momentum right to get the stand lined up then "snap" the stand down a bit to get the bike lifted while keeping the stand in place.

The other option would be to get a durable steel rod that fits through the rear axle and use the bobbins. Obviously you cant do wheel removal like this but it would be a bit more secure than the flat pads.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
69 Posts
R&G makes some that work...

That should work for you, with the stand you have.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I use this exact method to lift my AT, you can use the cups but they can slide on the underside of the swing arm on this bike so make sure you wedge the front wheel or cable tie the from tbrake whilst working on it.
I bought the R&G offset bobbins in the end as they are so secure and frees up access to adjust chain if needed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
IMO, I think getting the center stand would be a better investment, it will always be with you when you need it. If you already have the center stand why do you need a paddock stand?

·
Registered
297 Posts
IMO, I think getting the center stand would be a better investment, it will always be with you when you need it. If you already have the center stand why do you need a paddock stand?
You are absolutely correct, my situation was I had a couple of paddock stands from owning suoerbikes so it was a cheap solution to just buy the bobbins.
Add to that all the scary stories as to how hard it was to het the springs on the centre stand, lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have through axle spools and use a rear stand for cleaning the chain, wheel or getting the bike upright to change the oil. My stand also has flat pads which I use when removing the rear wheel. A front stand works fine as well if you're removing both wheels. My only caution is to be aware of the pad placement when lifting with the pads. On the left side of the swing arm, the chain guide is mounted to the bottom surface and can interfere. If you go in front of this piece, you'll lose lifted height, so its a compromise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts