Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if its possible to get replacement decals for the red model. They are peeling off on mine. Or does it need completely repainting?

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts
Anyone know if its possible to get replacement decals for the red model. They are peeling off on mine. Or does it need completely repainting?
Are those the decals that are peeling? Or the clearcoat? Looks like it may need a repainting?

What year?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Almost looks though the white decal is lifting.
Where its lifted, its throwing a shadow suggesting whatever it is maybe opaque, whereas if it were the clearcoat, I'd expect there to be little to no shadow ?
But it's also white underneath , as though its painted.
Not sure why it would be painted AND have a decal of the same colour & outline as the paint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had decals before, actually well produced stickers that have the printed sub-layer with a clear protective layer on top (gives it a gloss finish).
Maybe these decals are manufactured in the same multi-layer way ?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Is it vinyl over the original paint? Are you the second owner? Maybe someone used vinyl wrap to cover over scratches in the paint.
On my bike there are no decals - it's clearcoat paint over top.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it vinyl over the original paint? Are you the second owner? Maybe someone used vinyl wrap to cover over scratches in the paint.
I've owned the bike since new so it wasn't always like that. I think I found replacement decals though.

I'll speak to the dealer though and see if they can order / apply them. Im more concerned about removing the old ones and doing a bad job of it. o_O

·
Registered
CB1000R | CRF1000L
205 Posts
Some thoughts I'd be having would be replace the tank or custom paint for all the pieces. Or, do nothing at all with it.

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts
A bagster tank cover would also work to cover it up.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
That looks to me like peeling clear coat revealing the white vinyl sticker underneath. Likely some contamination at the factory on the decal that has prevented the clear from adhering properly or a hairline crack in the clear-coat at the border of the white decal followed by occasional spilled fuel over time lifting the clear.

It would be very difficult (though not impossible) to remove the decal and re-clear it without leaving a very obvious ridge line where the old clear coat would have too be cut to allow decal removal.

I have done this, but its very very time consuming and easy to bugger it up. If you want to try, I can detail how I went about the job I did (not on an Africa Twin, but on a different Honda):

I will preface this by saying that I am not a professional body man, however I have restored about 20 classic bikes, I do all my own body work & prep but I always have a pro do the paint and clear-coat.

Step 1 remove the Fuel and tank off the bike

Step 2 take a sharp scalpel/ craft knife (new blade, very sharp) and very carefully follow the outline of the white decal cutting through the clear coat. Try not to cut through the decal as well, just the clear coat (you will inevitably cut the decal at some points and may not go all the way through the clear coat in others, but you get the idea)
Step 3 Use a heat gun to warm the white decal at a corner (like the bottom rear where it comes to a point. Dont heat it to the point where the clear coat bubbles, thats WAY TOO HOT, but make sure its very warm or hot to the touch.

Step 4 use the scalpel to get under the edge of the decal to allow peeling. (be careful of the paint). At this point I use either my fingernail or a thin plastic scraper to push under the decal. Once you have a cm or so of the decal lifted (you may need to re heat a few times), you can grip it with your fingers and continue to heat and peel as you go.

* You may need to remove any adhesive left on the tank by the decal. Some decals come off easy with heat and dont leave much adhesive behind, others leave most of their adhesive behind. Alcohol, or some other Adhesive remover can be used but be sure to test it and see that it doesnt lift off you base coat of paint. I have used Rubbing Alcohol or an adhesive remover called "super-de-gooper" with good success*

Step 5 *the hard part *. once the decals are off, you'll be left with a totally red tank which is shiny on top and matte with no clear on the sides. your task now is to feather the cut edge of the OEM clear coat where it borders the shiny & matte paint. Your sanding the clear coat only and NOT the Red paint. Keep the wet/dry paper OFF the area where you peeled the decal if you can (though it will be hidden with a new decal so not the end of the world) and dont sand all the way through the clear to the red underneath (that is critical). Use 400-600 grit wet/dry and sand carefully and slowly using your fingers to feel if your reducing the "ridge ".

you may find that minimal sanding in step 5 is ok "IF" the clear coat is thin enough and you are willing to live with the feeling of a bit of a lip where the edge is **thats up to you

Step 6 Wet sand the shiny section of the tank on top - the part thats still clear coated - with 400 wet/dry. Your doing this now because you have to re clear the WHOLE tank once the new decals are on

Step 7 Apply the new decals - these go on wet, if you have never done a large wet applied decal before you may want to have a pro do it. Given your decal placement must be exact, pre placement of the decal here is critical. you dont have the luxury of being off by a mm here or there when you have just peeled the decal and clear coat off part of the tank.

Step 8 Get the whole tank re-clear coated (best too remove the fuel filler cap and ring for this as well)

UPDATE/EDIT: OPTION 2 - the quick, dirty and easy way

I would add that if you could elect to not try and remove the decal at all, and just re-clear the tank (or part of it if you painter knows how to blend clear using the "blender" products ), this would mean peeling off (finger nail or plastic scraper) any loose clear-coat from the white decal. However It would be almost impossible to feather the edge of the clear coat to create a seemless transition from peeled to non peeled clear coat when the new clear is sprayed/applied. However given that the area in question is white, you wouldn't see it that easily, you'd only feel it.

Speaking from experience, I have also done this with some success, but its only an option with light coloured paint/decals (white and silver for example) and only if you dont have OCD. With darker colours under the clear the "patch" becomes far too obvious for my liking. in this case you may be ok if you can live without perfection.

You'd still have to wet sand the OEM clear per step 6

Id also recommend you use the scalpel /knife scribe the upper edge of that decal so as you peel you dont peel it off the red painted area. It seems that its naturally stopping there anyway, but I'd not want to leave that to chance. It will make the repair less noticeable if you can keep any peeled clear coat on the white.

OPTION 2, Cost wise, my painter would charge me under 50 bucks to re-clear "part of the tank"

Again, just my experience, your results may differ.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the great detailed process Straycat but I think that is outside of my ability. I'll check with a paintshop in this case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts