Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having not long bought my bike I thought the best route to go for it would be fitting paint protection film and did a search on here and web and came up with one from a company called Tankslapper.
Now at first I considered fitting it myself but in the end I had it done professionally by someone who does the occasional bike but more top end cars, and glad I didn't fit it as he told me it was a bit of a task, and thought I would share the comments he remarked about this kit.
The best part of this kit doesn't fit too well and had to be trimmed in places to avoid lifting edges also some of the parts came up short to what they should have been and although stretching and placing is important the headlight ones being small and fairly flat were undersized for example.
Would I have this kit fitted with benefit of hindsight. No, but I would like a better fitting one though.
Since buying it I see that Honda offer this as a accessory and also have found another retailer which has slightly different one covering other parts etc.
If anyone else has fitted this or other ones it would be nice to hear what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The 3m film like clearbra should be installed by someone who has a lot of experience.

It's like window tinting but 100x more unforgiving and much more difficult to remove if you get wrong.

I'm considering having this done, but I need to talk to a few places before committing to the job.

One shop has a CNC that precisely trims the sheet before installation.

The other shop does it by hand on a glass table and then transfers it to the painted surfaces.

Neither of these two have a clean room, so it's pretty much a guarantee there will be some imperfections here and there.

Either way, it's better than just the exposed paint.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Paint protection on motorcycles?!!!

Will your bike be used for magazine publications, motorcycle shows, etc.?
Nothing wrong with taking pride in your investment.

NO one here is telling you what to do with your bike, it's bad form to think your ideas are the only right ones.

FWIW, if I wanted a beat up trail only bike, I would have saved myself $12,000 and purchased a used KLR650.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I tried to install some protective film myself. It looks easy on you tube. It isn't. I could have saved myself a lot of time and trouble if I'd simply taken a fifty dollar note out of my wallet and set it on fire.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paint protection on motorcycles?!!!

Will your bike be used for magazine publications, motorcycle shows, etc.?
Nope, saves getting paint scratched especially at tank area and helps for the future if selling on or just wanting to keep it looking good without covering it up completley with tank protector or whatever.
Each to their own.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I purchased my kit from TankSlapper and I agree that the fit is not perfect. It was a pain to install but with a little time and patience it can be done by all most anyone. Allow yourself plenty of time, keep the product wet, don't be afraid to peel it off and start over and don't be afraid to stretch it. I am not a professional just a DIYer and have never installed anything like this before and I think I did a pretty good job.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What have folks found for TFT protection film? I have found cheap Chinese products which may work well enough but I'd like something in the US for shipping purposes.

NC

·
Registered
268 Posts
I bought the tank protector from them, couldn't be bothered with the rest. The reason I wanted protective film over the tank is that I use a magnetic tank bag, which can sometimes have a sharp piece of metal stuck to the magnets, also my legs are sometimes used to grip the sides of the tank - I think it makes sense to protect the tank from scratches and scuffs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have done my tanks on every bike I have owned which is several and always go to a local shop and buy 3M plastic or I have bought clear number plate plastics from a dealer and cut and fitted them myself. A hair dryer helps to warm the plastic and make it more flexible. I always take paper and make a template before starting to cut the plastic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts