Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I despise anything chrome/shiny on vehicles. I'd really like to paint or wrap the big ugly shiny exhaust cover with something. Has anyone done this?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
I will be doing this to the muffler of another bike and now that you post this I agree it would look better and be an easy thing to throw that cover into the task. Grab some high temp paint like VHT header paint in flat black, sand degrease and go to town. These projects are however quite low on the list of about 20 hours of work I've got ahead of me in the shop.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't find any pics of anyone doing this. I'm actually surprised someone hasn't come out with an aftermarket, non chrome replacement.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will be doing this to the muffler of another bike and now that you post this I agree it would look better and be an easy thing to throw that cover into the task. Grab some high temp paint like VHT header paint in flat black, sand degrease and go to town. These projects are however quite low on the list of about 20 hours of work I've got ahead of me in the shop.

Hi,

I was thinking of doing the same thing.
Why would it take 20 hours ?
I have absolutely no experience at doing paint jobs, and worry about not doing something really nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

I was thinking of doing the same thing.
Why would it take 20 hours ?
I have absolutely no experience at doing paint jobs, and worry about not doing something really nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It wouldn't. He's talking about other jobs that are higher on his list.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did anyone actually already painted the "tin" looking exhaust, like matte black? The way it is, it's dent bait.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Unless you properly prep the surface and properly cure the VHT coating, it will scratch easily and look like **** in short order.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'll do it but not sure when. I have to move to new house soon. **** sakes just as the weathers getting nice here. But anyway I'll try and get a pic fer da boys. Not too concerned about the piece, the whole things gonna be all dented up after this summer for sure once I wear off the stock dunlops and switch to off road mode (rule#1: always wear out the stock tires before you buy somethin better). Probably paint it 3 or 4 times lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts