Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done a Pair Valve mod yet? I've done them on many bikes before, but I haven't yet on my AT. I'm thinking about getting a block off kit and hollowing out my cat as well. The popping on deceleration ought be tamed quite a bit with just the valve block. Thoughts or suggestions?...SC

·
Registered
131 Posts
Has anybody done a Pair Valve mod yet? I've done them on many bikes before, but I haven't yet on my AT. I'm thinking about getting a block off kit and hollowing out my cat as well. The popping on deceleration ought be tamed quite a bit with just the valve block. Thoughts or suggestions?...SC

Funnily enough i saw one on Ebay this morning, heres the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-Valv...140442?hash=item3d3f3fa41a:g:mYEAAOSwAKxWXsFw

I have recently fitted the full termi system so CAT is gone already and yesterday fitted the Rapidbike EVO exclusive module from rugged roads

http://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00c...407e-8207-580e14387ec5/Products/KRBEVO-123-EX

Ian

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

If you have to ask this question, then I must assume you are not familiar with modern bike engines and how they are choked by multiple emission systems that do little more than appease tree-huggers. PAIR valves, cats, evap canisters, etc. do more to harm performance, reliability and longevity than they do in protecting the environment. Modern engines are designed so efficiently these days that the added emission components do almost nothing other than bog down your bike...SC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think I am happy to leave mine as it is. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you tuning experts want to play go for it. My bike has way more than enough power for real world use and I can live with the sound.

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you have to ask this question, then I must assume you are not familiar with modern bike engines and how they are choked by multiple emission systems that do little more than appease tree-huggers. PAIR valves, cats, evap canisters, etc. do more to harm performance, reliability and longevity than they do in protecting the environment. Modern engines are designed so efficiently these days that the added emission components do almost nothing other than bog down your bike...SC
Sure, more components always = lower reliability, pure math.
I've worked in engine development -- yes the standards are a challenge and clean exhaust the objective.

I can't agree with your statements about emissions systems only bogging down engines and appeasing tree huggers.

I hate following bikes with obvious mod's where all you can smell is unburned fuel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am one of your "tree-huggers": Your bike, do wtf you want with it. Enjoy your reliability issues that always follow the type of mods you are making. Don't assume everyone that rides is a right wing jerk.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am one of your "tree-huggers": Your bike, do wtf you want with it. Enjoy your reliability issues that always follow the type of mods you are making. Don't assume everyone that rides is a right wing jerk.

Hilarious! ... SC

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I get a lot of decel popping that I find annoying, along with occasional backfiring through the intake. This type of behavior can almost always be eliminated with a PAIR valve removal without any negative reliability consequences whatsoever...SC (Apparent Right Wing Jerk)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I get a lot of decel popping that I find annoying, along with occasional backfiring through the intake. This type of behavior can almost always be eliminated with a PAIR valve removal without any negative reliability consequences whatsoever...SC (Apparent Right Wing Jerk)
I like the occasional decal popping and smooth throttle response of the stock AT both on and off-road. Stock, it is a world of difference better than my 06 BMW, and almost as good as my 14 DR650 after I lifted the needle 0.030"
>:)
I find bikes with loud modified exhausts, or bikes with modified intakes / chipped programs that result in the exhaust stinking of unburned fuel annoying. I've seen too many good bikes turned into unrideable beasts in the chase for better-than-stock performance. I appreciate that I can ride the stock AT and grin large without any performance or reliability consequences.
:grin2:
Just sayin - everybody has their preferences and opinions. What I like about this site is things I can learn about modifications that work - whether I decide to make a change is not relevant. It is the learning through others trails I like reading about - without which I'd never have lifted the needle on my DR650 and found nirvana. And when the cat on my AT fails out of warranty (like it did on my BMW), I want to know what options are available and how well they work.

Meanwhile, I'll ride **** out of it until something breaks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am always amazed how 'forum' experts can miraculously improve a bikes performance way beyond that of the lowly design engineers at the manufacturers. Truly incredible. However, each to their own.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am always amazed how 'forum' experts can miraculously improve a bikes performance way beyond that of the lowly design engineers at the manufacturers. Truly incredible. However, each to their own.

PAIR valve removal is NOT a performance mod, but one designed to aid in tuning a bike without having to chase down symptoms brought on by emissions equipment that serve little purpose. Anyone with experience in motorcycle mechanics and tuning, beyond filling the gas tank and dropping it off at the dealer, knows this. Lastly, if you truly believed in "to each, their own", you wouldn't have replied at all...SC

·
Registered
295 Posts
Why would I possibly want to spend money on a professionally developed machine to start tinkering around with 'tuning'? From your response you are obviously a far greater technical expert than I could ever dream of being. Have fun and I hope you don't mess it up. But of course, from the sound of it your exemplary skills, that is an impossibility. My personal understanding is that 'each to their own' means exactly that. You can have your opinion and I can have mine. Feel free to comment on my opinion as I will continue to feel free to comment in yours. I don't mind tinkering but when it comes to the state of tune I rely on the old standby adage of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts