Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been back and forth on luggage for my Africa Twin for some time now. Hard panniers, soft luggage, ect. Well I think I have decided on the Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags as I do plan on doing a lot more off-road riding.

Here is where I am stuck. I cannot decide what pannier rack system to buy. What is everyone using for their soft luggage as far as racks go? Any pics would be greatly appreciated. :smile2:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi,

I have the Barrett pannier racks and ATG soft panniers. Great racks which are solid as ! The bags are very tough also.

http://www.barrettexhausts.com.au/soft-pannier-bags.html
Hi Stevo, thanks for the link,
I too like 1MEANGT, have found it hard to decide which to choose, but this looks like the gear for me.
I like the fact that you say "racks are solid as" and I like the idea of the removable inner.
Thanks mate, now to save up some bicky's :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stevo, I have looked at the Barretts. Look sturdy.

I kind of like the SW-MOTECH evo racks as well. I like that you can easily remove them when not using the bags. Just not sure how they would hold up in a drop. I am not against permanent racks but the option to remove easily is nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags matched with the SW-MOTECH evo racks look like a great combination. The only issue I have with the bags is the price - listed on the US site at $500 dollars but as a UK resident I'm redirected to a distributor here where the exact same bags are £510 or $641! Kinda puts me off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After really researching the SW-MOTECH racks I am not going to go with them. They have a permanent attachment system for off-road use which kind of defeats the purpose of easily removing them. And I don't like how they attach to the plastic rear fender. So I have narrowed it down to the Rockfox or GIVI permanent racks.

Any thoughts on asymmetrical vs symmetrical? Since the bags are the same size on each side.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've had the SW Motech on a couple of bikes, including the AT.
It's easy to install and remove and sturdy - I've fallen over and crashed at speed on them and they do really well.
The fender mount is for stability, there's a steel bar between the two racks that is the real support. The nice thing about their rack is you could also add hard luggage later if you want from TRAX, GIVI/Kappa, Shad, and others. Pretty versatile and you're soft luggage mounts like it was meant to fit on the frames.

After really researching the SW-MOTECH racks I am not going to go with them. They have a permanent attachment system for off-road use which kind of defeats the purpose of easily removing them. And I don't like how they attach to the plastic rear fender. So I have narrowed it down to the Rockfox or GIVI permanent racks.

Any thoughts on asymmetrical vs symmetrical? Since the bags are the same size on each side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just read your thread on panniers, it was very informative thank you. I have ridden street bikes for 37+ years and am now getting ready to purchase an Africa Twin for a ride across Canada. I think I have decided on the mosko moto bags (35 and 25). Looking at their video, it looks like their wedge needs to be installed on a round shaped rack. The SW Motech looks to be more rectangular shaped. Do you know if the mosko moto wedge will mount to the SW Motech?

I've had the SW Motech on a couple of bikes, including the AT.
It's easy to install and remove and sturdy - I've fallen over and crashed at speed on them and they do really well.
The fender mount is for stability, there's a steel bar between the two racks that is the real support. The nice thing about their rack is you could also add hard luggage later if you want from TRAX, GIVI/Kappa, Shad, and others. Pretty versatile and you're soft luggage mounts like it was meant to fit on the frames.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The information on Mosko Moto's website says it'll fit on SW Motech but I'd drop them a line to be sure. They really have a slick mounting system and good quality bags. I'd like to add a set myself.

The SW Motech racks are sort of rectangular and oval shaped - not a perfectly square or round profile.

I just read your thread on panniers, it was very informative thank you. I have ridden street bikes for 37+ years and am now getting ready to purchase an Africa Twin for a ride across Canada. I think I have decided on the mosko moto bags (35 and 25). Looking at their video, it looks like their wedge needs to be installed on a round shaped rack. The SW Motech looks to be more rectangular shaped. Do you know if the mosko moto wedge will mount to the SW Motech?

Reactions: Playhard714

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi,

I have the Barrett pannier racks and ATG soft panniers. Great racks which are solid as ! The bags are very tough also.

http://www.barrettexhausts.com.au/soft-pannier-bags.html
Hi all, finally ordered and fitted my new Barrett Pannier Racks today.
Thanks Jason (Barrett) for the great service in getting the racks made and to me in time for my next big run down to the Troy Bayliss Classic.
They are very well made, tough as! will double as rear crash bars if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi all, finally ordered and fitted my new Barrett Pannier Racks today.
Thanks Jason (Barrett) for the great service in getting the racks made and to me in time for my next big run down to the Troy Bayliss Classic.
They are very well made, tough as! will double as rear crash bars if needed.
I like the small loops at the corners for Wolfman bags those are some of the better looking racks I have seen. Would you mind posting some more pics of the mounting details.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I like the small loops at the corners for Wolfman bags those are some of the better looking racks I have seen. Would you mind posting some more pics of the mounting details.
Hi all, as requested by OU812 some pics of mounting details,
First you'll need a 20 or 22mm hole saw, I used a 22mm wood spade drill bit. You need to drill 2 holes in the underside inner rear plastic mudguard, (template supplied). This is so you can fit the 2 long spacers with 2 long bolts which attach the cross-bar up through the guard onto existing mounting threads on the rear sub-frame grab-rail. (Believe me this is sturdy, its not just bolts into the plastic mudguard) as you can see from the pics, then one bracket goes to the Pillion Peg point (all spacers, bolts and nuts are supplies) you can choose to reinstall the pillion pegs if you wish. The other Z/L bracket goes to an existing rear sub-frame point, finally the rear back brace is there to hold the 2 rear halves apart (it doesn't bolt to the bike anywhere.
So it took me about 1.5hr to fit it all up (no cursing) and today took it for a quick 2hr blast just to make sure nothing would foul or fall off :smile2:all sturdy as, now for the soft luggage.
I hope the post helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
Those look like really solid racks. Good mounting points and thick tubing. Those Aussies have some pretty cool products.

Hi all, as requested by OU812 some pics of mounting details,
First you'll need a 20 or 22mm hole saw, I used a 22mm wood spade drill bit. You need to drill 2 holes in the underside inner rear plastic mudguard, (template supplied). This is so you can fit the 2 long spacers with 2 long bolts which attach the cross-bar up through the guard onto existing mounting threads on the rear sub-frame grab-rail. (Believe me this is sturdy, its not just bolts into the plastic mudguard) as you can see from the pics, then one bracket goes to the Pillion Peg point (all spacers, bolts and nuts are supplies) you can choose to reinstall the pillion pegs if you wish. The other Z/L bracket goes to an existing rear sub-frame point, finally the rear back brace is there to hold the 2 rear halves apart (it doesn't bolt to the bike anywhere.
So it took me about 1.5hr to fit it all up (no cursing) and today took it for a quick 2hr blast just to make sure nothing would foul or fall off :smile2:all sturdy as, now for the soft luggage.
I hope the post helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I made a standoff for the left side out of aluminum plate, removed the passenger pegs and bolted it to that. Sort of crude...for the right side I let the bags lie against the muff, not sure how that's going to work out.

I use Chase Harper soft bags, the biggest model they offer. Great bags, great company. Lifetime warranty. I broke a zipper, and scuffed a hole in one bag and they fixed them at no cost.

My AT is the third bike with the same set of bags. I think the price for the biggest bags is under $400

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a set of sw-motech Dakar soft bags and hard wear for sale $450.00 [mounted one time and removed never used], new mount kit, no holes to drill, and are very well built. I went with Honda hard luggage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've gone with Touratech pannier rack system with Enduristan Monsoon 3 Soft panniers. Reason I went with Touratech is that so many companies make after market bits for them such as mounting plates for rotorpax etc!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went with the Givi quick release racks. They're not the sturdiest but offer some protection for a drop with the Nelson Rigg soft bags. Again, not the sturdiest but they held up well for me in the past and I like the look & the side access. I opted out of the dry bags because my Nelson Riggs bags have been plenty water resistant for typical riding. I didn't want to sacrifice the access. Also, I don't know if waterproof is always a good thing. After a few days on the trail, my stuff needs to breath... Although, they'll flood if I get stuck in a creek or river crossing. I try to avoid that. I've considered using a garbage bag as an additional measure but it's never been an issue. I did add a bit of additional support for the bags. Just a short section of angled aluminum rail (easy to cut & drill) to support the inner, lower corners. It was just too easy not to since the Givi rack already had the threaded holes waiting...

Nelson Rigg Bags... https://www.nelsonrigg.com/view/productdetails/virtuemart_product_id/834/virtuemart_category_id/121.html
Givi Racks.. http://www.amotostuff.com/product/PLR1144.html

Not sure how to add photos??

Reactions: eltel62

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey LostInStates - That combination of Givi/Nelson Rigg looks like a good option, especially for the price (bags $200 - racks $224). It looks like the Givi racks are easily removable. Are they? Does this combo seem stout enough to take off-road pounding?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts