Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed somewhere elegant to keep my tools and tire repair supplies that be would safe and not take up space in the top box, so I got this toolbox from Amazon. There are several sellers with various prices, and it seems to be the same one as Touratech sells for a lot more than I paid. It's marketed as for a big BMW ADV bike, but it fits perfectly on the Outback Motortek rack. I considered a simple tool tube and a Givi toolbox, but my mini-compressor wouldn't fit in those.
It's big enough to hold a couple of 11-inch tire levers, 2 axle wrenches, a
Automotive exterior Font Sticker Street art Metal
Vehicle Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper Auto part
Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior
tire repair pouch, the OEM Honda tool pouch with the added wrenches I might need by the side of the road, and the mini-compressor. Just.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Both look great and should prove very functional. I'll definitely consider one as well, if and when I get racks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice.

I considered the Givi toolbox for my Honda Hard Pannier racks but when I measured it out the universal bracket wouldn't line up for me. There is a tab on the racks right were they want it to go on the rear. I hate that most of the weight I carry daily is on the brake side as I leave my clutch side open for my backpack when I take it and would like something like this to put my puncture kit and tools in.

This has me thinking of just getting something anyway and fabbing my own mounting solution.

·
Registered
445 Posts
@Shadowjack : did you check clearance for the swingarm and the plastic chain protection cover? I was evaluating some toolbox and excluded that one because it looked too large and big, risking to hit the swingarm when fully compressed.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Shadowjack : did you check clearance for the swingarm and the plastic chain protection cover? I was evaluating some toolbox and excluded that one because it looked too large and big, risking to hit the swingarm when fully compressed.
The third picture was intended to show the relationship, but I was too lazy to open the garage door to get a proper angle. :) It has just a small sideways clearance with the racks I used, but I measured for that before I ordered. I don't know how close the chain guard comes to it on full compression; that's pretty hard to achieve at rest, and I personally will never bottom the rear. At full droop on the center stand it has 6.25" of clearance, FWIW.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The third picture was intended to show the relationship, but I was too lazy to open the garage door to get a proper angle. :) It has just a small sideways clearance with the racks I used, but I measured for that before I ordered. I don't know how close the chain guard comes to it on full compression; that's pretty hard to achieve at rest, and I personally will never bottom the rear. At full droop on the center stand it has 6.25" of clearance, FWIW.
Rear suspension travel at wheel is about 220 mm (8.66 inches). So you don't need to go full compression to reach the 6.25" of clearance you have. Just be sure you don't hit the toolbox with some moving part of the bike. ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the Givi tool box installed on my 'ill design' left SW-Motech rack. It's fantastic, IMHO. 14K miles on it and holding up very well. I have not tried anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts