Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never rode with panniers for a long time but was wondering if anybody has marketed some sort of warning system for the bike which prevents the rider entering gaps they should not?? Plenty of radar braking and cruise stuff out there so why not?

Just wondering.... as you do...just saying like...remember you heard it here first...on the AT forum...
I'll get me coat..

PS: Hope the likes of Hood and the other boffins on the site have some thoughts??

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,010 Posts
As @Cuchulainn says my handlebars are the safety warning and Honda must have, through great expense and thousands of hours of development time, added this as a safety feature as they have made sure the bars are in front of the panniers. You may be screwed though if you are waddling backwards into a parking space but seeing as that is low speed there should not be too much damage causing impact.

·
Registered
351 Posts
So sorry my brother. took it the wrong way...
No worries. I certainly didn't mean for anyone to infer anything other than bike related ridiculousness.

Like the "update thread", if ATs are synonymous with Adventure Travel, why would anyone want to add warning devices? Where's the adventure in that?

Besides, you know they would only be as accurate as your local weather station's travel advisory. You'd be crashin' into garden gnomes left and right if you relied on such a system to give warnings. o_O

·
Administrator
4,023 Posts
Any kind of warning that would be useful would be tough to implement. The ones that cars use for backup hazards and blind-spot monitoring are very broad. There is something somewhere behind you so be careful, or there is a vehicle in the other lane so be careful. They don't inform you of how many inches or even feet are between you and the hazard.

I think the best those types of automotive systems could do would be to constantly warn you that there is a rock ahead or a tree ahead with no useful info on whether or not your pannier will actually clear it. You would probably also receive a mind-numbing amount of mostly useless warnings. Rock ahead, rock ahead, tree ahead, tree ahead, rock, rock, tree, tree, rock. People would just disable it :)

The cost of implementing a system that would tell you if your panniers were hanging too low to clear rock or if an opening was too narrow for them to squeeze through a couple of trees, would make those panniers crazy expensive. I can't imagine that there would be units sold to justify the design.

I have seen that video above a few times and I really don't know what he was doing. Not paying attention obviously. But that is also a sport-tourer where the panniers stick out significantly further than the bars.

Adventure bikes have much wider bars so a bit more of a visual guide upfront. They are a bit like a cat's whiskers. If the whiskers are a close fit, don't follow that up with trying to fit your fat cat butt through there. It is likely not going to end well :)

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,162 Posts
Never rode with panniers for a long time but was wondering if anybody has marketed some sort of warning system for the bike which prevents the rider entering gaps they should not?? Plenty of radar braking and cruise stuff out there so why not?

Just wondering.... as you do...just saying like...remember you heard it here first...on the AT forum...
I'll get me coat..

PS: Hope the likes of Hood and the other boffins on the site have some thoughts??
I’m absolutely certain that IF you try and ride between a gap that is to small for your panniers to fit through you will definitely know and so will the gathering crowd of onlookers…
Lol JUST KIDDING!
I don’t recall any proximity sensors for panniers. Seems to me it would be a bit of a challenge to do, especially with the narrow width readings you’ll need as mentioned above. Lol Cuch types faster then me..

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,162 Posts
You usually only forget once then that experience heightens your awareness. Or you can clip a set of these on when you’re rocking the panniers. View attachment 72615
I’m thinking.. The only way I’d take those is if I could get the training wheels too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts