Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm seriously considering upgrading my 2015 Versys 650 for an Africa Twin but do have some questions regarding the panniers because they look quite wide in the pictures i've seen and probably about 80% of my riding is done with the boxes on, so could anyone tell me how wide they measure across the bike or are there any aftermarket ones that come out a bit slimmer.
On my Versys they are the integrated frameless type and because the exhaust is low down under the bike the boxes do tuck in quite snug.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
OEM panniers 95 cm wide. Check Holan and Bumot for slimmer and sturdier aluminium panniers.

I have 35 l Bumots that are 92 cm wide.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Stock panniers are thin plastic, not waterproof (just water resistant), and the deal-breaker... open sideways. Oh, and they cost more than others. The only saving grace in my book, is that they have the mounting system that doesn't require extra rails. With the boxes off, it's nice 'n' clean looking. Well, except for that top plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have the OEM panniers have been using them for 8,000 miles with no issues. Been in heavy rain down pour lots of dirt roads have cleaned them with high pressure spray hose with no leaks. I live in California where we can lane slip on the streets & freeways stock panniers work the best for lane splitting their no wider than the handle bars.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the Honda bags. They are fine. No issues in rain or otherwise. I do keep stuff inside them in bags too. They are no wider than the Handle bars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Full Bumot Defender Pannier and Top Box set for me. Just need to get my hands on the bike to fit them! :) Currently away working.

BUMOT Top Case Mounting Plate - $USD 99.99
BUMOT Defender Pannier System 40L/36L - Colour: Black - $USD 1079.99
BUMOT Defender 25L Top Case, Color: Black - $USD 379.99

Bought through ADV-Motorrad, NY, USA. Nice people to deal with.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just curious. What is the best source for the OEM side panniers in NE States, and how much are they typically? Here in New Brunswick, Canada, the Honda dealer is asking almost $1200 CAD + taxes. I go occasionally on trips to New England states and wonder if I'd be better off to pick them up there...?

·
Registered
480 Posts
But the stock ones open sideways. Yuk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That suits many people though as many as it turns off. If you use the internal Honda bags that makes it easier again. Compared to full aluminium panniers/racks they are low cost. They are quite thin plastic because they don't have to be thick, they just have to enclose the contents. All in they add 9.5kg to the bike, pretty decent weight penalty for the space. I do like the full aluminium look, just don't think stock panniers are as horrendous as some make out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1070mm for the Loboo ones I bought here in Thailand. So 170mm wider than the Handlebars, But tough as, easily removable and in my opinion the mounting system is like a rear crash bar so no brainer when they are half the price of the side opening OEM ones. Chinese made, but what isn't?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just curious. What is the best source for the OEM side panniers in NE States, and how much are they typically? Here in New Brunswick, Canada, the Honda dealer is asking almost $1200 CAD + taxes. I go occasionally on trips to New England states and wonder if I'd be better off to pick them up there...?
I would just call the nearest Honda dealer over the border and have them set a pair aside for you. I think in US dollars they only run $700. I like their clean mount but not crazy about all the Honda branding. Not sure if I'll go Honda or Givi.

NC

·
Registered
361 Posts
You can buy them on eBay for US$640, Amazon for $720, or any Honda dealer for around $600 + local tax.

For long-range adventure touring a pannier frame and something from Mosko might be a better choice, but I really like them for city commuting as they are light, super fast to take on and off, and sit as flush as possible. It's true they are plastic and true that they open from the side (good when you want to put a full-face helmet inside, bad when carrying a bunch of oranges), so you have to decide what features are important to you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You can buy tusk aluminium panniers for about $200 usd. I bought them they are great value. The tusk frame is pretty cheap to about $200 as well. This is the set up from behind.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bumot Defender panniers and top box for road travels and Bumot Xtremada soft panniers for off road travels. both use the
same racks and are great quality.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You can buy tusk aluminium panniers for about $200 usd. I bought them they are great value. The tusk frame is pretty cheap to about $200 as well. This is the set up from behind.
Is it just me or are the pannier racks slightly tilted downward right?

Wow...$400 usd for racks & side panniers from Tusk?!!! That is pretty dang cheap compared to the other brands out there.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts