Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I鈥檓 about to buy my AT adventure sport, not the DCT model.
Would like to ask your opinion please. Honda panniers or Touratec?
I plan to go to Europe camping and sightseeing.
I would appreciate any advice you may have.
Thanks very much馃憤

Registered
Bumot - mine have been great on the AT and they now do racks for the AT AS.

I have drop tested mine - static drop on concrete with full weight of the bike resting on one pannier, still using that pannier with no problems.

Registered
I have the OEM, but I would strongly advice you to choose any of the following systems (or any similar alternative you can have access to):

1. SW-Motech racks with their TRAX panniers
2. SW-Motech racks with GIVI adaptors and the Givi Trekers (the plastic ones, not the Outbacks) or E-41s
3. Touratek panniers.

For solo travels I use the OEMs. For 2-up, I use the Motech racks and e-41 panniers.

Registered
I have the OEM, but I would strongly advice you to choose any of the following systems (or any similar alternative you can have access to):

1. SW-Motech racks with their TRAX panniers
2. SW-Motech racks with GIVI adaptors and the Givi Trekers (the plastic ones, not the Outbacks) or E-41s
3. Touratek panniers.

For solo travels I use the OEMs. For 2-up, I use the Motech racks and e-41 panniers.

Why not the outbacks? I have outback trekkers from a previous bike I plan to move to th ATAS

Registered
Why not the outbacks? I have outback trekkers from a previous bike I plan to move to th ATAS
I like the outbacks. despite the peculiar fact that Givi does NOT sell them as full watertight! However, I really hate the fact that the GIVI rear rack system on the ATAS needs literally half the bike to be dismantled for installation. For those reasons I do not recommend the Outbacks, but this is just a personal view.

BTW I used to have the 58lt Outback on my Varadero and it was an absolutely brilliant product.

Registered
I have 52k on my 2016 manual. I have Honda stock panniers & have gone on many adventure rides , pavement & dirt with no complaints.

Registered
Hi
I looked at the different setups for a rack and panniers for months before I finally decided that cheap is better.
Yes the Euro panniers look nice until you drop your bike, then there just another set of dented tin cans to put your crap in.
Personally I don't own a crocodile suitcase so why do I need to spend thousands on motorcycle luggage?
One note is that all three of these manufacturers below use a thicker sheet of aluminium than the Euro brands and without any plastics.

1) Tusk
2) Happy Trails
3) Solobox

Registered
Hi
I looked at the different setups for a rack and panniers for months before I finally decided that cheap is better.
Yes the Euro panniers look nice until you drop your bike, then there just another set of dented tin cans to put your crap in.
Personally I don't own a crocodile suitcase so why do I need to spend thousands on motorcycle luggage?
One note is that all three of these manufacturers below use a thicker sheet of aluminium than the Euro brands and without any plastics.

1) Tusk
2) Happy Trails
3) Solobox
I think you may find the cans are more durable than you think, at least the Touratech ones are. I have had mine for 6 or 7 years now and have moved them between several bikes, just buying new racks. They have been dropped on a Triumph Tiger Explorer, KTM 1190 and an Africa Twin. More than once. Both on and off-road.

A couple of scrapes (almost invisible thanks to Birchwood Casey Alumiblack darkening the scratches) and a couple of rough edges, but no real dents to speak of.

Hard cases are never the best option for off-road, but they are tougher than I would have guessed them to be on.

That said, I have a buddy who has the Tusk on this 1190. They seem surprisingly well made for the money and he swears by them.

Registered
I got the BUMOT EVO system and eh! I personally was not impressed with them, just the little things here and there that could be better.
Also I will add install was...... a PITA but that was the fault of Honda鈥檚 bolts not BUMOT but on that note I will also add - a big pet peeve of mine - during install having to leave bolts loose so you can pull and torque things to get it together. I鈥檓 NOT talking about loose bolts so you can straighten and or level things but, so you can actually get it together... Sorry but in my book that鈥檚 just piss poor lazy engineering... All in all the鈥檙e OK and have had no problems with them. One of the main reasons I went with them was I preferred the wrap around design on the right (muffler side) box, I just prefer that look as opposed to the two different size boxes to 鈥渆ven out鈥 the width.

Registered
I will also add - a big pet peeve of mine - during install having to leave bolts loose so you can pull and torque things to get it together. I鈥檓 NOT talking about loose bolts so you can straighten and or level things but, so you can actually get it together... Sorry but in my book that鈥檚 just piss poor lazy engineering...

Agreed, I think it's normal that on certain accessories everything doesn't align absolutely perfectly because of the tolerance on the OEM parts and the aftermarket parts, but they shouldn't be 3/4" off. Before ordering the SW-Motech rack I asked Fortnine, they checked with the SW-Motech distributor and they were 100% confident it was compatible with the 2019 Africa Twin. Seems like Honda updated the exhaust in 2018 and even if the exhaust had been out of the way, the holes still really didn't align, even with all bolts loose. I think sometimes they are indeed just lazy and assume the model hasn't changed instead of actually installing it on a 2019 model. A bit disappointing from a company the size of SW-Motech to say the least.

Registered
I ride 2016 manual AT
. I鈥檓 using Givi 35L soft canyon bags & Givi racks, I really really like these bags. If you want to know if the bags & racks are sturdy enough, I think they are, I recently crashed on a rough rocky two track dirt road doing about 30mph & the bags & racks held up with no damage. A few other items broke but not the bags.

Registered
I ride 2016 manual AT
. I鈥檓 using Givi 35L soft canyon bags & Givi racks, I really really like these bags. If you want to know if the bags & racks are sturdy enough, I think they are, I recently crashed on a rough rocky two track dirt road doing about 30mph & the bags & racks held up with no damage. A few other items broke but not the bags.
If you have a free moment, could you post a pic or two of the bags? Thx!

Registered
"Only gripe TUSK put their sticker on upside down on the left side case."

nothing that a hair dryer and some dental floss can't fix.
I would loose the Tusk decals and replace them with places I have been on a road trip.

Registered
This is the third bike I have had this set of Givi panniers on. Purchased these about in 2010. Just have to purchase new mounting hardware each time.
Hey, those look really nice with the Rally colors! You may have just convinced me... What would they run for racks and cases?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts