Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
A 2019 Honda, potentially needing a battery ALREADY? If so, man, these wazoo newer batteries sure don't seem to have very much of a service life do they?
Scott
Its because they are lead accid and if you don't use a battery tender if you don't ride often then they go bad. If you arnt going to ride often you need to get a battery tender or upgrade to a lithium. If you bought your bike from a big dealership during covid there's a good chance your battery might be no good. You can't let lead acid battery sit dead for to long or it destroys them

·
Registered
884 Posts
Most of my riding is remote or inaccessible - I live in Canada (you don't have to go too far before you are too far for a tow or a boost). Carrying another battery isn't really an option but I know some riders that carry the Li booster packs just in case. Seems like a lot of weight for something you're normally unlikely to use.
I think that five years is reasonable for a battery and at that point, you're probably living on borrowed time. But a dead battery in a new bike such as this is a bit of a pain in the butt. I'd be talking to the dealer for a replacement. I'm glad it was just a battery in this case and some frustration and not a bike that was stuffed.
Having an AMA membership (motor vehicle club membership in whatever state/province you're in) has saved my bacon a couple of times with mechanical issues on bikes and it covers all my cars, too. It's good insurance for that time when things go wrong and you're stuck out in the boonies somewhere.

Unless you're out by yourself in the middle of BLM trackless wilderness. Do you guys carry an extra battery when you go boonie whomping? Or just replace it every year to be sure?

Reactions: TwinWrangler

·
Super Moderator
3,564 Posts
... I live in Canada (you don't have to go too far before you are too far for a tow or a boost ...
You need to drive at least an hour north/east/west of Toronto, Ontario before that is true. Likely more than an hour.

For riders, this is not necessarily a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
3,564 Posts
View attachment 56705

I picked up a few of these off Amazon. So far they work great. They display voltage and have two USB ports. @ 4.8 amp output, the charge both my newest Moto g phones showing turbo power on phones while charging. Typical chargers won't charge these phones very fast at all.
Mine arrived today and is exactly the same. Nice build quality. Mine is affixed under the seat ready to go at a push of the button.

Great tip @CRracer712.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Most of my riding is remote or inaccessible - I live in Canada (you don't have to go too far before you are too far for a tow or a boost). Carrying another battery isn't really an option but I know some riders that carry the Li booster packs just in case. Seems like a lot of weight for something you're normally unlikely to use.
Most of the lithium booster packs I have seen are quite small and light. When a boost was needed to restart the bucket truck I was driving, it was surprising to see how easily it started the V-8. Some might actually fit under a motorcycle seat and will easily fit in any type of luggage attached to a bike.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts