Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woooooo finally passed my IAM test on the AT, had 2 Police advance testers follow me on a 60 mile trip and ending with slow riding testing, figure of eights and stuff, never done it but felt the AT would pull me round. result with a excellent pass, thoroughly recommend doing this course as it makes Biking feel thought out and safer. chuffed and wheres the wine.
ps
am I the first in the world to pass the IAM test on an AT? with a beard?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no idea, but any training is worth doing. I came from a Karting background with focus on the shortest line being the quickest. these guys show the most effective line with the best view of the hazards and so smooth its unreal but the biggest realisation was how efficient the riding feels. yesterday I was out on a practice and 2 guys flew passed me in a 20mph at 45+ on bikes, no Biggy but an on coming car had to break hard and a guy on a push bike was nearly hit as one of them went round a sleeping policeman.
I like speed like the best of us and that wont change but a good course just makes you feel more in control over it, basically we love a dangerous activity and minimising the risks can only be helpful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congratulations ! An IAM test pass is probably the best way of spending £100 ( or whatever the current rate is ) that you can spend on your biking.
I took mine 9 years ago and I reckon it's saved me dozens of times. I was very lucky being coached by a brilliant observer over 6 months, he trained me to pass the test - and then some. The funny thing is, now you've done the training when you're out and about and see other motorcyclists riding, you can tell almost instantly if they've had any advanced training.
Well done.

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well done! I went for an observed ride at the end of last year and was totally sold on the idea. After many years of riding there is still so much to learn and bad habits to iron out. Will be enrolling as soon as the AT arrives.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, down in the west country the cost has just gone up to £150 but still well worth it.
The weird thing is it effects your perception of what's around you even driving your car, observation of hazards becomes more interesting than the ride or drive, basically your taught to take more in and its all less frantic but weirdly quicker.
Today driving a 50+ mile trip I found myself keeping within the speed limits but enjoying the drive, ok the two nymphets in the back seat the 50" plasma game screen and the line of coke on the dash were a bit distracting but I coped well.
personally if Honda or any other maker promoted this training there sales would vastly improve and the returning customers would be quadrupled. like you say its the best money you could spend on your biking plus it may save a life or two.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks guys, down in the west country the cost has just gone up to £150 but still well worth it.
The weird thing is it effects your perception of what's around you even driving your car, observation of hazards becomes more interesting than the ride or drive, basically your taught to take more in and its all less frantic but weirdly quicker.
Today driving a 50+ mile trip I found myself keeping within the speed limits but enjoying the drive, ok the two nymphets in the back seat the 50" plasma game screen and the line of coke on the dash were a bit distracting but I coped well.
personally if Honda or any other maker promoted this training there sales would vastly improve and the returning customers would be quadrupled. like you say its the best money you could spend on your biking plus it may save a life or two.
Interestingly Honda did organise this a number of years back for buyers of new Hondas. I remember spending a couple of days free of charge on a new Firestorm with John Truelove, an ex police IAM examiner, riding around Devon with an intercom to John. This was invaluable to me in passing my IAM test and being an Observer to help others later. Unfortunately John was killed on his bike a few years later, so don't get too cocky and think you are invulnerable after getting through the test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts