Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ride with there wives or a passenger on back just wondering what the comfort level is for them or aftermarket seat.Thanks for any imput

·
Registered
130 Posts
The AT has good and bad qualities for hauling a passenger. In June I took the wife on a 3600 mile trip through Alaska, Yukon and British Columbia.

On the plus side, the stepped seat gives the passenger a better view and she doesn't have to constantly shift left and right to see around my helmet. We did that trip on the stock seat. It's not great but was acceptable if we kept daily mileage under 250 miles a day. The DCT is great for 2-up as helmet bumping is kept to a minimum.

On the bad side, The passenger pegs are really close to the rider pegs. This causes the passenger to have to splay her feet. It can make it awkward for the rider to put feet on the ground because there is limited space between the passengers boots and the riders footpegs. We did that trip with the Honda luggage. The Honda panniers ride quite forward which is good for weight distribution but makes the passenger leg space even more cramped. More than any other bike I've had the AT requires the passenger to 'climb' into place. 35 years ago my wife wouldn't have had any trouble doing that. Nowadays getting her on and off is a bit more of a chore.

I replaced the stock seat with one from Corbin. It's significantly more confortable for both of us.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The only one apart from VFr750, Fireblade, GS1200LC, R1200R, CBF1000FA and NC750D Integra. I have added the comfort footpegs and have just got an Airhawk pillion to give her a bit more seat to peg height.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very comfy

Wife says the AT is the most comfortable bike out of all the bikes she has been on.
Ditto for mine too! She likes the knee position (not too folded), roomy seat and suspension travel......and she's been on a few bikes (Tiger 800, R1200R, V Strom). A top box helps to instill confidence and frequent breaks on longer trips are essential (due to arthritis). I wouldn't go to the expense of an after market seat until you've both given the OEM seat a thorough test.

·
Registered
230 Posts
About 5 or 6 hours tops for my wife. She's been on the back of cruisers and crotch rockets her whole life so she's pretty indifferent. She doesn't like it off road so much because of the pendulum swing of the rear tire back and fourth hahah. She has back pain and ass pain after an afternoon on the back and I wouldn't consider taking her on a multi day trip because I push myself right to the absolute limit to get as far as I can every day. But I usually meet her at an airport somewhere near the destination and we just play around from there. Most of this is dependent on the physical condition of the wife, mine has quite a few old dirt bike and horseback riding injuries...

·
Registered
24 Posts
My wife is looking forward to the change from a Kaw Versys 300 to the 18 AT AS DCT. We ride 20-50 miles and she complains a bit. Not the best bike for 2 UP.

We are still awaiting the new bike, but have set on it and it's a world of difference so far. We don't plan on longer trips than 300 miles or so, so I think we will be ok, but I'm wondering how the OEM Honda Panniers and top bag will effect her. She is in very good shape and enjoys the core workout she gets on the Kawasaki so think we will adapt.

I'm 6 ft tall, but even with stock seat in lowest position I can't touch firmly to the ground, so I have ordered the shorter seat mainly so she can see over my head better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My mrs says it's really comfortable but had to put the preload up 30 clicks to stop the bike sitting on it's arse,she's not heavy justs seems the spring is really weak,seems ok with just me on though.

·
Registered
409 Posts
ProCycles review is spot on for my wife as well.
Once on its a great 2 up bike, just crank up the preload, but those panniers really make it hard for my wife to climb on.
She's worried the foot pegs will break if she keeps using them to get on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts