Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, why would I need/want this? I can't seem to find that question answered anywhere.

Secondly, what DO I need, if I want to install the following?:

Euro OEM (LED) indicators
OEM 12V socket
OEM heated grips
OEM fog light switch and a set of fog lights

I have a 2017 Africa Twin (Manual) purchased in the United States.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Basically it is a stand alone power supply that is protected by a replaceable relay and internal fuses. It is for powering accessories like heated grips, gloves, louder horns, spotlights, sat nav, JSB power supplies etc. IT picks up its power direct from the battery and the only connection to the bikes own wiring is a switched live feed, that activates the PC-8 switched circuits. As such all your accessories are remote from the bikes own wiring and it has 6 switched circuits and 2 always live circuits. One of these can be used to connect a smart charger. On the AT if you purchase the custom loom for the unit it makes a very simple fit as the battery access on the AT is very tight and you would find it very difficult to connect multiple accessories directly to the battery. If you are only going for he OEM accessories I would recommend dealer fits. However the OEM heated grips are not proving very successful. i fitted the Kosa Apollo and they look oem but are more efficient. Sorry i cant help you on the led indicators but i am sure someone will.

·
Registered
361 Posts
First of all, why would I need/want this? I can't seem to find that question answered anywhere.

Secondly, what DO I need, if I want to install the following?:

Euro OEM (LED) indicators
OEM 12V socket
OEM heated grips
OEM fog light switch and a set of fog lights

I have a 2017 Africa Twin (Manual) purchased in the United States.
pjm explains the PC8 well: basically it is a way to easily wire in electrical accessories, especially third party accessories (most if not all of the Honda accessories plug in to existing wire connectors). My PC8 drives the following:

• Rigid LED fog lights
• Tourmaster heater system
• Denali Soundbomb horn
• Trackmate GPS tracker
• Koso Apollo heated grips

Regarding your questions about specific accessories:

• OEM LED blinkers on a US bike are a huge pain, as I have detailed in other threads. I think I now have a solution but it requires a bunch of electrical components and soldering. Follow my posts for updates in the coming weeks.

• OEM 12V socket is easy, just buy the kit and follow the directions.

• OEM heated grips also just require the kit (plus a separate wire harness) but the install instructions are quite complicated. Also as pjm notes there have been many reports of problems with the OEM grips. I too installed Koso Apollos which look good and perform well. I don't agree with pjm that they look stock, however; there is a wire that runs from each grip which is particularly visible on the throttle side. You will definitely need the PC8 installed if you go with the 3rd party heated grips.

• To do the fog lights right requires the OEM switch (only available in Europe; I got mine from Rugged Roads) and the proper HM sealed connectors to access the dash indicator light circuit in the auxiliary connector behind the main display unit. Then you will need an LED package like those from Rigid or Denali; the lights should come with a relay which will be powered from the PC8 and signaled via the OEM fog light switch.

Let me know if you need additional details on anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much for the information, I greatly appreciate it.

pjm I saw the effort you've gone through trying to get an OEM LED indicator solution working for us. Thanks for all of that. In my opinion Honda owes us a bit of an explanation, haha. I think for now I will have to abandon my dreams of having LED indicators on a 2017 bike that costs 13 grand :D I am guessing there are no real aftermarket solutions? I wonder why..

All of that being said, the other accessories look like they can be installed without too much trouble. I will probably pass on the OEM heated grips in that case, especially considering their cost.

It looks like sooner or later I will end up needing the PC8. Is there a specific thread that covers the installation or additional parts I would want to order?

·
Registered
361 Posts
pjm I saw the effort you've gone through trying to get an OEM LED indicator solution working for us. Thanks for all of that.
Actually that was me. 0:)

It looks like sooner or later I will end up needing the PC8. Is there a specific thread that covers the installation or additional parts I would want to order?
Just buy the "PC8 with relay kit" on this page. Installation is very simple. Also order the "Dual Locks Strips" (adhesive-backed velcro) to stick the PC8 to the underseat plastic. There are a couple photos on that page that show where it should go and how to connect the DLC connector which provides the ignition signal to the PC8.

Jim also sells the other connectors you will need to for example wire the OEM fog light switch to the dash tell wire in the accessory connector.

Feel free to ask if you have specific questions.

·
Registered
295 Posts
There is a good installation guide on the Eastern Beaver site. The harness that goes with the pc8 makes fitting very simple. Follow the instructions closely for routing the supply cables to the battery, connect the plug to the red diagnostics port and job done.

·
Registered
361 Posts
There is a good installation guide on the Eastern Beaver site.
pjm, is there a guide specifically for the AT? I found that getting the main cable out of the battery box was kind of a pain. I'm curious how others have routed it.

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I see that they are no longer using the DLC connector for switched power.
My bike was the first to use the 6P alarm connector as I could not put the PC8 under the rider seat with it in low setting as the dealer had located the oem fog lamp driver there leaving no clearance for the PC8. Jim very kindly made up what was then a trial kit for me with a P6 connector and extended wiring to the battery.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My bike was the first to use the 6P alarm connector as I could not put the PC8 under the rider seat with it in low setting as the dealer had located the oem fog lamp driver there leaving no clearance for the PC8. Jim very kindly made up what was then a trial kit for me with a P6 connector and extended wiring to the battery.
For sure? Mine is stuck to the back slope. Looking at the OEM fog light instructions, it might have clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
additional parts I would want to order?
I got extra Plastic Panel Mount Push Rivets, the Dual Lock Strips, and today I ordered the CRF1000L Brake/Tail Adapter because I am installing Hyper-Lites. The rear lights are insufficient for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For sure? Mine is stuck to the back slope. Looking at the OEM fog light instructions, it might have clearance.
With my seat on low, I put a strip of blutac on the highest point of the PC8 and refitted the seat. Taking it off, the thin blutac strip was flattened enough to see black plastic. Good enough for me to decide that this was a no go. There was plenty of clearance under the pillion seat. YMMV.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi.

I already have a 12V socket connected to the front fairing connector (installed by the dealer).

Now I'm planning on installing a GPS and SW-Motech fog lights. Does the connector in the front fairing has enough "plugs" for 3 devices, or do I need to connect one of them directly to the battery? Or do I need a PC-8 to connect one of the devices there? OR is there a 3-way front fairing splitter?

Also, regarding the fog lights, I ordered the SW-Motech EVO LED but don't like their switch, supposed to go on the handle. So I also ordered the OEM Honda switch that goes on the dashboard. I guess there's no problem replacing the SW-Motech switch cable with the Honda OEM one?

As you can see I'm not very bike electric wiring savvy... But since my dealer is asking for roughly 500 USD to install the whole thing (Switzerland is expensive), I'm thinking about try and do it myself.

Thanks!

Miguel

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Now I'm planning on installing a GPS and SW-Motech fog lights. Does the connector in the front fairing has enough "plugs" for 3 devices, or do I need to connect one of them directly to the battery? Or do I need a PC-8 to connect one of the devices there? OR is there a 3-way front fairing splitter?
There is only one connector on the factory auxiliary harness. You can buy a Y splitter from Honda or Eastern Beaver to get a second source.
Also, regarding the fog lights, I ordered the SW-Motech EVO LED but don't like their switch, supposed to go on the handle. So I also ordered the OEM Honda switch that goes on the dashboard. I guess there's no problem replacing the SW-Motech switch cable with the Honda OEM one?
Should be no problem. Do the Motech LEDs use a relay? If so then the switch will control the relay, not the full load of the lights, which is preferable.

Also, if you connect the downstream side of the switch in parallel to the blue/white (I think; maybe just blue) wire in the aux connector, that will enable the dashboard fog light indicator when you press the switch.

Since the lights will presumably be powered from the battery, not the factory wiring harness, I would strongly recommend the PC8 or similar.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you for replying.

I don't know if it comes with a rely. Here's what they say on their product page :

Input voltage: 12 V DC, LED: 12 W (per light)
Luminous flux: 1,050 LM
ECE test mark: ECE R19 F3

Connects directly to the motorcycle, no changes on the motorcycle electric necessary

Included:
Cable harness with fuse
Switch

Thanks,

Miguel

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jfm72, I know you can purchase the two way splitter cable and the oem switch but do you know if you can purchase the cable harness that connects to the fog lights ?

Thanks John

·
Registered
480 Posts
That looks like a relay in your diagram so you could use the Honda OEM fog switch assuming you can match the connectors, or cut the ends off each, solder and protect. If you are going to the trouble of fitting a PC8 or PC3 from Eastern Beaver (I don't mean trouble really) then you might as well leave the front Honda connector under the front cowl well alone, it is a pain in the arse to get to and you will have to buy a splitter cable as others mention anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts