Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my AT into my shop space and put in a PC-8, Oxford heated grips, and wired up my Garmin. The heated grips are so worth it. I wish I put them on my previous bike.

Just in time since lows overnight are starting to dip into the 30s (°F) here. This will for sure extend my riding season. Now I'm thinking about heated gear. . .

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Got my AT into my shop space and put in a PC-8, Oxford heated grips, and wired up my Garmin. The heated grips are so worth it. I wish I put them on my previous bike.

Just in time since lows overnight are starting to dip into the 30s (°F) here. This will for sure extend my riding season. Now I'm thinking about heated gear. . .
If you haven't already decided on the heated gear, take a look at the Warn'n'Safe stuff. I got it shipped into the UK several years ago and it's been fantastic. I now use a remote operated dual controller mounted on the dash. The left dial controls jacket and gloves whilst the right controls long johns and socks. I have heated grips as well, and it makes every winter trip a real pleasure (autumn and spring too). I bought Gerbings heated gloves and they plugged straight into the sleeves of the wrmnsafe jacket.
Don't worry about the alternator. I ride an NC750X and I'm sure it must have a smaller output alternator than the AT
Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,
I have not decided, thanks for the input. I'll check it out for sure.

What do you think is the most effective piece of heated gear (excluding heated grips) for you? Like if you had to start over again, what would be the order of your purchases? Start from the feet, and move up?

-steve

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Mike,

What do you think is the most effective piece of heated gear (excluding heated grips) for you? Like if you had to start over again, what would be the order of your purchases? Start from the feet, and move up?

-steve
Full jacket definitely. If you can keep the blood in your core warm it's surprising how it helps with the extremities (well perhaps not so surprising really).
The long johns, and socks are a bit of a nuisance but a godsend when it gets really cold and you have to do a few hours. The heated gloves are good but are a trade-off as they are naturally thick and cumbersome and you do have heated grips. I have found that the handguards supplied with the NC750 provide such good wind deflection that I was able to use unheated summer gloves right down to zero deg centigrade in April (but with heated grips on full power)
I bought a heated waistcoat first but the heated full jacket is much better.
Mike

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mike,

-steve
Like Mike said, get the jacket. Go to Warmnsafe and order the jacket and their remote heat troller (get a dual if you plan to add heated gloves). Use advrider in the coupon code box for a 20 percent discount.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.
How is the battery life on the remote controller?
Very good. It sends out a pulse every 30 seconds or so and if it gets a response from the receiver it keeps this up. Encoded in the pulse is the instruction as to what heat level to set. The receiver is very light and fits in a compartment in the jacket pocket. When you park up and the receiver goes out of range the controller stops sending (after 5 minutes I think). Or of course you can switch it off at the dial. Mine lasts a couple of seasons.
Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got my WarmnSafe gloves and jacket last year and wish I'd done it years ago. What a joy to plug in and within seconds feel warmth all around your torso. I have no problem with bulk of the gloves, the leather is very supple and needs no break-in.

Got the wireless controller and it's brilliant. I've put pigtails on two of my other bikes and just move the controller to the bike for that day's ride.

Used the gear on a three week ride through Europe this past summer and had bunches of rain in Germany and Austria, gloves stayed warm and dry the whole time. A fantastic product and worth every penny.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Warm gear comparison

Hi guys, just couldn't help myself being so amused at your discussions about warm gear. I installed the Okford heated grips and my mates think I am from another planet ( I get cold on a warm day). Anyway, I have just come back from central New South Wales - Australia. It reached 38 C that's 104 F and I am sure it was much hotter with our heavey coats and pants on etc. We were wondering when someone would invent cooling gear!
Sorry for the interuption - just thought you might like a comparison.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We were wondering when someone would invent cooling gear!
Well I have an evaporative cooling vest. I rarely use it. Last time I remember was an all day ride which reached 41C/106F in the shade, but of course there wasn't shade. Doesn't exactly make you cool. More less hot, but damp. There are other types of cooling vests which are probably more pleasant to use. But a cheap one is enough for recreational riding around here for me. If I were gonna commute with it though, I'd want something that doesn't leave me feeling like I need a shower. The evaporative style vest might not be as effective with humid heat as it is with the dry kind.

First thing I did to my AT was move the heated grips over from my FZ1, which I intended to sell. Having second thoughts about that part, but it's not convenient to ride it much without heated grips.

I also installed an Eastern Beaver PC8. Really pleased with it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
First thing I do typically is heated grips. On the AT I needed to commute on it before I had time to do the grips, so I installed a coax power outlet dangling below the seat on the left to plug my gear into.

For my commute I find heated jacket liner, gloves and grips to be fine. Coldest commute mornings may begin at mid 20s F, and it's an hour give or take on the freeway. It's also enough for touring, though I used to tour with just the grips--worst case my fingers would freeze a bit in the morning, which isn't as bad when you're going someplace awesome and new as when you're going to work every day.

Lower body needs for me depend on my gear and how much wind it lets through, but never needed heated anything. If I were riding all day in freezing or sub freezing weather my needs would probably be different.

I've never mounted controller to bike. Whether I've used remote or wired controller, it's always clipped to my person in a holster, and I've always done it with a single coax connection to the bike. Typically I have gloves plugged into jacket liner plugged into dual controller, and after or before mounting the bike I plug the controller into the coax outlet dangling on the left.

Mounting a remote temperature controller to the bike doesn't seem like a bad idea either, especially if you'll only use your gear on a single bike. Controller clipped to your person is simplest though. When people have issues with heated gear being awkward or complicated to use, it's often because they did wacky stuff with controller location or connection to the bike.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Another thing with heated gear: be wary of discount brands with the glove controller built into the gloves.

For me I'll often have my gloves on high and jacket on low. I've read of discount crap where the jacket controller controlled the sleeve wiring as well, so the gloves could only be lower, not higher than the jacket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just fitted my eastern beaver 3 circuit solution - excellent bit of kit I've moved it from two other bikes and it's great. Since it's not the one which is made for the AT I took a cable from the battery and placed it under he pillion seat - with the connections coming out into the main seat area.

I use it to power my heated jacket a bike tek which I bought at a reasonable price off ebay, perhaps not as good quality as the others but you get a controller as part of the deal and it works well.

Heated gear makes a massive difference especially up here in the North East (England), it means I can extend my riding season!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Just fitted my eastern beaver 3 circuit solution - excellent bit of kit I've moved it from two other bikes and it's great. Since it's not the one which is made for the AT I took a cable from the battery and placed it under he pillion seat - with the connections coming out into the main seat area.

I use it to power my heated jacket a bike tek which I bought at a reasonable price off ebay, perhaps not as good quality as the others but you get a controller as part of the deal and it works well.

Heated gear makes a massive difference especially up here in the North East (England), it means I can extend my riding season!
Yeah I agree Davey, I had my warmnsafe full kit (jacket pants socks and gloves) on yesterday for 120 miles around Wolsingham, Stanhope and Brough etc. On the tops of the Pennines it was down to 2 deg C and thick fog, butI was warm as toast.
Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
Never heard of an evaporative style vest (I'll check them out). We have a lot of humidity here in Queensland so I don't think they would be any good. Better in the dryer states like South Australia. Thanks for your input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts