Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Perfect bike for work!

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Tonethebone 
#1 · (Edited)
Joined the group a few weeks ago to learn a bit more about the the bike. Managed to get a test on a non DCT model a few weeks ago and put an order in straight away.

The bike will be used for my work as a Film Location Manager in the UK. I spend a lot of time on a motorbike getting between different locations in London and around the UK. I need a bike that can carry the computer and camera gear and allow me to cover the miles in some form of comfort but to also get me through the traffic when in town. I have tried a few different types of bike to achieve this with varying success. Current BMW K1200GT is fast and comfortable over distance but not easy in the traffic as very heavy. Prior to that were a couple of Piaggio Xevo 400 scooters which were comfortable, good at carrying equipment and easy to get through the traffic but slow in comparison. Quite a few years ago I had KTM Adventure's (640's) which were great but a little too high for my 5'9" and the gear was always strapped to the back of the bike. Originally had a Honda XL 600 Dakar (single with big tank and gold wheels).

Having taken the test ride for a couple of hours I was able to get some comparison with a recently tested BMW GS 1200 Adventure and my current bike. Whilst a lot of the press have highlighted the lower power than the GS I don't think this is a problem, the bike pulls well and is quick enough to get out of the way of drivers that are not looking for a bike. This is important when you are on the bike all day. The BMW GSA is just too wide with all its crash bars and boxes and just generally bulky and heavy. Again, slow speed mobility in traffic is hard work but no where near the difficulty of the K Series with all the weight on the front. I honestly think the GSA is now too big for the average rider to do anything off the beaten track and has morphed into a motorway mule with some minor off-road capability. The AT seems to be aimed at more of a go anywhere feel and will allow the average rider to get there. And it sounds great also!

I have added the Adventure package of luggage, spots, screen, hot grips, centre stand etc to the purchase and even then the bike feels light, responsive and stable. I am very much looking forward to picking up the bike at the end of March as I feel this is the best bike for the job by far.

Also looking forward to keeping an eye on the group to see what people are doing to their bikes and what extras get added.

TH

See less See more
#3 ·
That's a great sounding job you have there! Getting paid to travel around the country on the bike of your choice - I really envy you. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the seat height ( I am also 5' 9"). Did you opt for the standard height seat? Do you feel confident with the reach to the ground? How easy is it to put onto the centre stand - I struggle with most bikes nowadays.

#4 ·
I'm thinking about getting one for my ride to work also, and had considered the GS1200, but as you say, it's very heavy in traffic. My commute means I ride about 28,000 miles a year, currently on an NC750x. Have you given any thoughts to types of road tyres available in the correct size if you are doing reasonable miles in all weather, as would be interested to hear your thoughts.

#5 ·
The seat height can be adjusted by around 20mm on the stock bike seat. I asked the showroom to pop it on the lower setting for the test ride and had no problems with it throughout the ride. It helps that the weight is very low on the bike so if you do over balance whilst sitting at the traffic lights it is not too heavy that it catches you out and you preform a static vehicle crash. I must admit I have done this on the BMW K1200 when fully loaded. The BMWK was also a full body experience to get onto the centre stand, not tried it on the honda yet but going back to them for another test when they get the adventure pack fitted to the tester, will report back then.

#6 ·
I was looking at the original MCN review in Africa. They did a day each of off and on road. They fitted Dunlop Trailsmart for the road section. I will go with the OEM's until they wear out and then look for something that offers a bit more off road capability on the first change. That is unless the next film goes to Scotland or Wales and then it may need to be full-on noblies...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.