Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will do a full review with images in due course. However I spent this afternoon fitting a Loobman chain oiler to the Africa Twin. It can be obtained from chainoiler.com. I paid just over £20 delivered in the UK. It is basically a very simple oil reservoir that is then gravity fed to a dual feed to the rear sprocket when you press a valve on the reservoir. You create a small raised area in the feed tube just before the outlet and put a small breathing vent hole in the tube. You press the button for a few seconds and the oil that is passed the breathing vent hole runs down the dual feed and on to either side of the rear sprocket. Releasing the button creates a vacuum and the oil stops in the tube up to the breathing hole. Centrifugal force then forces the oil out on to the chain. I removed the chain guard and passenger foot peg to make the job easy. The swinging arm in the AT has several grommets and I used one by the front and one on the inside to the rear to run the feed tube so it is out if the way of the chain. I cut small holes in the grommets and then cute numerous star slits away from the centre of the hole so the tube went through but was still gripped. The feed is fixed to the swinging arm with cable ties through a custom wire bracket. The reservoir has a triangle bracket that enables it to be mounted under the rear frame and still stay fairly vertical. A bit of tweaking to get the feed sitting nicely against the sprocket. Press the button to prime the system and job done. I have used oil I had left from a Scott oiler and the dark blue oil makes the reservoir fitting very discrete. I am sure it will take a bit of tweaking to get the feed time just right but will hopefully give it a run out tomorrow and let you know how I get on. For the price it has to be a real bargain.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is my full review with some images. I had hoped to upload a pdf but with the images it is too large.
I spent yesterday afternoon fitting a Loobman chain oiler to the Africa Twin CRF1000L. It can be obtained from www.loobman.co.uk. I paid £20.99 delivered in the UK. European and International delivery is available. It is basically a very simple oil reservoir that is then gravity fed to a dual feed to the rear sprocket when you press a valve on the reservoir. You create a small raised area in the feed tube just before the outlet and put a small breathing vent hole in the tube. You press the button for a few seconds and the oil that is passed the breathing vent hole runs down the dual feed and on to either side of the rear sprocket. Releasing the button creates a vacuum and the oil stops in the tube up to the breathing hole. Centrifugal force then forces the oil out on to the chain.

I started by opening the packet. It comes in a small clear plastic bag. The bag contains instructions, the reservoir, the dual feed device, a custom bracket that is basically a piece of stiff wire covered in plastic tubing, a triangular bracket for the reservoir and a number of small and large cable ties.

Next step was offering up the reservoir to the bike to find a convenient and unobtrusive position to fit it yet still providing easy access to the feed button and to top up the oil. I found that by using the triangular bracket I could get a neat and secure fit behind the frame just behind the lock for the rear seat access. Here it is well out of the way of the rear wheel and passenger feet.

I removed the chain guard and passenger foot peg to make the job easy. The swinging arm on the AT has several grommets and I used one by the front and one on the inside to the rear to run the feed tube, through the swinging arm, so it is out if the way of the chain. I cut small holes in the grommets and then cut numerous star slits away from the centre of the hole so the tube went through but was still gripped.

The feed is fixed to the swinging arm with cable ties through a custom wire bracket. You bend this to suit the depth of your swinging arm and the position of the sprocket. The reservoir has a triangle shaped bracket that enables it to be mounted under the rear frame and still stay fairly vertical.

It then took a bit of tweaking to get the feed sitting nicely against the sprocket. The dual feed device uses short lengths of cable tie that slide through it and press against the sprocket. The feed fits over the end of the delivery tube and is then secured to the bracket wire by fitting it over the wire bracket. The feed can benefit from using two of the ties to add security to where the feed lengths of offcut tie have been pushed through. Check it is allowing the sprocket to turn freely in both directions.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just back from a run out. As per the instructions I pressed the feed button for 10 seconds. I have no overspray on the tyre and just a little splatter on the inside of the number plate. The chain has a fine coating of oil but still looks a little dry to my eye. Next time I might try 15 seconds. Of course the dose of oil is also regulated by how far the vent hole is from the dual feed. As such everyone's fit is going to need slightly different dose timings.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Curious to hear how it holds up off-road... BTW, in the second picture, looks like your chain could use a cleaning ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chain has only done 280miles of dry road use so probably just a bit of dust sticking to the original lube. I will let the oiler do its thing and then give it a clean up. The fittings are secure and well out of the way so I cannot see how off road use should be a problem. If you had anything getting in between the chain and the front if the sprocket I think the chain oiler would be least of your worries. If you knew you were going in water above swinging arm level I would look to put a bot of flexible waterproof sealant around where the feed tube goes through the grommets to keep the swingarm sealed. My use is road only so not an issue for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts