Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

Hello, I'm GvG and I live in The Netherlands. Picked up my new Africa Twin today, and I must say what a relieve having not to shift ;). The bike I traded in was a BMW R1250RS, nice torque engine, but the gearbox was just awful, very clunky and the quickshifter sucked.

I have only done about 300km, but already love the DCT system.

Happy miles/kilometers everyone (y)!
thumbnail_20200520_171403.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice to see the alternative colour (y), nice pearl effect and the gold and bronze colours of the wheels, forks and engine cases finish it off nicely. Make sure you protect the fuel tank with the need pads as the paint seems very soft and easy to mark.

Glad to hear your enjoying the dct, i had dct on my previous ATAS but choose not to have it again as i didnt like the slow speed jerky feeling due to the fuelling on the 18 bike. Couldn’t really afford it either as the ES and plus pack were more important to me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
GvG welcome here compare to the R1250R With quickshifter you have now a real DCT and that is totally different. If plan to go offroad then you will also have a big smile with the bike. Even it is heavy bike but when I go offroad in Braboland it feels like a 180kg bike. If you plan to go offroad buy protection bars like Heed or Outback is saves money. With DCT you need to use more your rear break with slow manoeuvres (8 Draaien).
Enjoy it and have a safe ride

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone,

Took a big tour today in Braboland (south of The Netherlands, where I live ;-)); far the best bike I ever owned (and this is my 25th), engine braking on 1, automatic gearbox in S1 combined with playing with the paddles, suspension damping in the softest, and then smooth sailing ;). Bumps (a f*cking lot in our little country) are a piece of cake now........

I never go off-road, gets my bike dirty :cool:, I only do long hauls on tarmac, and for me the black version wins hands down.

A U-turn indeed takes a bit of practicing with the DCT, appears the slightest throttlemovement is enough, but I'm still learning.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Thanks everyone,

Took a big tour today in Braboland (south of The Netherlands, where I live ;-)); far the best bike I ever owned (and this is my 25th), engine braking on 1, automatic gearbox in S1 combined with playing with the paddles, suspension damping in the softest, and then smooth sailing ;). Bumps (a f*cking lot in our little country) are a piece of cake now........

I never go off-road, gets my bike dirty :cool:, I only do long hauls on tarmac, and for me the black version wins hands down.

A U-turn indeed takes a bit of practicing with the DCT, appears the slightest throttlemovement is enough, but I'm still learning.
I concur on much you say GvG.

U-turns are a dream on the AT DCT (probably slightly better with manual clutch).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And fun at the trafficlight; only twist the throttle and of you (quickly!) go, no fiddling anymore with the clutch and shiftpedal, it's like a fast scooter (y)...........

·
Registered
98 Posts
And fun at the trafficlight; only twist the throttle and of you (quickly!) go, no fiddling anymore with the clutch and shiftpedal, it's like a fast scooter (y)...........
When the light changes, lift both feet and twist. Urban Mode, Sport2, Wheelie Control 2. Don't let up until the front wheel comes back down on it's own...Woo hoo! That's what I hear anyway. I would never do such a thing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
GvG
Seem we are in the same area (076). The ATAS is een rocket at the trafiic light. Drive most times in S1 mode. If you ever decide to go or try off-road look on transalp forum for some tips and trics. In Brabant there are more then 200km unpaved road available. A dirty ATAS is for me that my day was good.
Glad to here that you enjoy the bike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
040 here.

I'm a bit of a compulsive neuro and therefore I can't stand dirty bikes :cool:.
That's why I always clean my bike after a daytour, keeps my bike and head clean ;).

Have fun and stay healthy!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I’m a ocd on bike cleaning too, get asked “is that a new one” quite often, no, it’s done ##000 miles, just clean it a lot :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I clean my bike twice a year, I mean a real good cleaning. Everything comes off, check connections, make sure nuts and bolts are torqued properly. Other than that, the only thing that gets cleaned routinely is the windscreen and mirrors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Very nice you in EU can have the bike inn several colors. My color is Red, but this side of the pond is only black mate, not shinny like yours.
I was thinking to order my AT from Mother country, but is more expensive. 16.000 euro against $ 15.000 en USA.
Plus the shipping. I am in Aruba.
But " Ik spreek geen nederlands "
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did see the black matt version with the red backframe and black wheels on internet, but like you I prefer the shiny black one with the golden rims.

Enjoy the sun in Aruba ;)!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts