Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had similar fissure openings in the weldings on my frame in multiple locations after just one year.. from those alone my bike was declared unsafe to ride and written off on the spot by my insurers.
So what happened?..... Did u get screwed out of a bike ?

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
there are some shocking images for AFtwin frames on other forums. Would appear Honda do not give a f*&k!
I was fortunate enough to spot these problems after 2 days of ownership. Otherwise I suspect it would have been much more difficult to get Honda to take notice. I have already had to argue extensively to get them to take the matter seriously. If this issue is as widespread as it appears to be, then maybe there should be a recall to check all possibly affected frame numbers IMO. There should be enough information available to Honda for them to be able identify the VIN's that may be affected and at least inspect them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was fortunate enough to spot these problems after 2 days of ownership. Otherwise I suspect it would have been much more difficult to get Honda to take notice. I have already had to argue extensively to get them to take the matter seriously. If this issue is as widespread as it appears to be, then maybe there should be a recall to check all possibly affected frame numbers IMO. There should be enough information available to Honda for them to be able identify the VIN's that may be affected and at least inspect them.
Doesn't seem like the foreign multi billion $ company cares about anything.....except sales and money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Doesn't seem like the foreign multi billion $ company cares about anything.....except sales and money.

It appears you are correct. Honda have come back to me today and still insist the frame is "within spec" what ever that means. So I guess its on to the next step.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It appears you are correct. Honda have come back to me today and still insist the frame is "within spec" what ever that means. So I guess its on to the next step.
Greed, it will be MAN's demise as the human race. Just a matter of time. Good luck with your bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm a retired motorcycle tech and I have reframed a few bikes over the years. It's not rocket science and any experienced tech could do it. Just needs care and patience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HatNeil: Hi, I'm from Portugal and have the same issues. Currently opened a case with HONDA Portugal and already got pushed back with a simple solution for some spots where the paint is opening up and cracking. I promoting a legal complaint on this matter and will push until I have a feedback from the Japanese headquarters. I would appreciate if you have feedback on your case. My idea is to produce some social media awareness. Maybe we could join forces and create a small video with all the stuff found. To all readers please give feedback on this on if you what to do it privately mail me to jose.gomes.pedro gmail.com! Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I never thought the welding could be so bad, didn't really watch mine close but now looking back on pictures, the big Weld Under the tank sure wasn't extremely well executed, on my bike either it seems.
**** guys reading this horrifies me, it's only been a Week that I've had so many issues on my AT, with rust and even the fork tubes corroding, that I've sold it for a Triumph Tiger, I guess it really was the good decision… this is all very troubling, hope you will be listened to or force Honda to take this seriously.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings from the Czech republic. Unfortunately i can join to the discussion with the same issue. My bike is ATAS 2019, tricolore. Very similar symptoms.
I have discussed my problem with dealer and even with Honda customer service. I was offered to re-frame the bike, but this is simply unacceptable from my point of view due to worries about reliability after re/mounting and hassles when potentially selling bike. Personally, i would definitely don´t buy any re-framed bike (even under warranty). Therefore i asked for replacement of the bike in line with Czech consumer law. On the other hand there are no stock ATAS, so i would also admit the inspection of the frame in certified lab. If welds approved with official certificate, i would agree with partial repair (anticorrosion and paint repair). I officialy raised my claim yesterday, so i await the seller´s feedback.

@José - unfortunately, i can´t put my pictures here (low posts). But you could find this Group on Facebook: "Honda Africa twin UK issues & Problem Solving", where are a few guys who sorted this out.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
So what happened?..... Did u get screwed out of a bike ?

No.. they gave me a brand new 2019 Africa Twin. :) And this frame looks like it was welded by a completely different company. ie: PROPERLY!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Just in case anyone was left wondering, Honda UK did jack **** to resolve the issues with my bike. I couldnt be bothered to strip down my brand new bike so I took lots of pictures and doused the bike with xcp rust blocker. I have covered 2200 miles in the last 12 months or so. I only ride it when its dry and, and so far my bike has not rusted. I suspect if I had used the bike as I had intended when buying it (in all weathers/seasons) then it would be a mess by now. The moral of the story is if you are buying any brand new bike, then take a torch and really check it over before you sign the paperwork. DONT make the mistake I did and rely on Hondas past reputation for excellent build quality and finish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Under the consumer rights act in the U.K. You have the right to have any defect repaired or replaced upto 6 years from the date of purchase. This covers the appearance of products as well. I would suggest paint falling off and any suspect welds would fit as a defect. I would visit your dealer and quote the consumer rights act and see what they say.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I tried all that, They are not interested, after many phone calls to the dealer and Honda UK customer services, they simply claimed it was "within spec".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
See my other thread on this subject:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts