Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
current challenge: your bike in front of a geodesic dome

Puerto Rico and New Mexico both have churces pushing 400 years. The San Juan Bautista cathedral in Old San Juan is as far as I know, the oldest church in the US, built in the mid 1500s and the site of my families baptisms up until recent years. If I remember correctly the number 2 spot goes to a church in Santa Fe. Both are still in use as churches.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Yeah, the Mesa Verde Kivas date to before 1300 CE. It would be tough to get a picture with the bike though as they are typically underground.
Or in the case of Alcove House at Bandelier National Monument, a climb up a series of 4 wooden ladders. Either way, it generally requires a hike and climbs or descents that you aren't going to do on your bike. Particularly now that Bandelier now requires you to take a shuttle up from the White Rock center.

If I remember correctly the number 2 spot goes to a church in Santa Fe. Both are still in use as churches.
I have been to San Miguel Mission, in Santa Fe. While I suppose it still technically qualifies as being the 2nd oldest, It is believed little if any of the original church from 1610 still remains. It was rebuilt in the mid-1600s and then again in 1710. But that still puts it at 300+ years and worth visiting :)

3rd oldest is Jamestown Church in Jamestown, Virginia, 1639

·
Registered
2020 ATAS Manual
25 Posts
Here's my (better late than never) submission for the country church. I may have mislead you when I said 400 years old. Having researched, it's apparently a mid 12th century Nave, and a 14th century Chancel...whatever those are ;)
Sadly no geodesic domes spotted en route.

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
Here's my (better late than never) submission for the country church. I may have mislead you when I said 400 years old. Having researched, it's apparently a mid 12th century Nave, and a 14th century Chancel...whatever those are ;)
Sadly no geodesic domes spotted en route.
View attachment 61273 View attachment 61274
No graveyard pics?

Would the head stones be readable?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don’t know if it qualifies as a geodesic dome, but it is Biosphere2. Or at least as close as I could get my bike in the pic. Side note, it isn’t a sphere either.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
One piece of Colorado history that this challenge lead me to was that of Drop City. Apparently there isn't much left of it these days, but I was just unaware that the "city" even existed. Next time I am near Trinidad, I will need to check out what's left of it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 ATAS Manual
25 Posts
No graveyard pics?

Would the head stones be readable?
Afraid I didn’t venture inside on this occasion. To my knowledge there aren‘t any gravestones of that age. They say the church is mid 12th century, but if you’ve seen Only Fools and Horses, you’ll understand what I mean when I say it’s like Trigger’s broom...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Don’t know if it qualifies as a geodesic dome, but it is Biosphere2. Or at least as close as I could get my bike in the pic. Side note, it isn’t a sphere either.
View attachment 61277
That is amazing that you got Biosphere 2. There are definitely a few geodesic dome elements in its structure, so I will accept. The challenge is yours.

Our local Geodesic Dome. It was built as a pavilion for Expo 86 and has served as a science center called 'Science World' ever since. The dome itself houses an OMNIMAX theatre, essentially a spherical IMAX screen that is notorious for making people feel queasy. An interesting footnote is that the whole thing is built over the water on pilings.

·
Registered
136 Posts
New challenge; A unique view of your bike with.......a succulent.

After taking the pic at Biosphere 2, I rode across Reddinton Pass, up and over the Catalina Mountains back to Oracle and around the Silverbell Mountains where this pic was snapped.

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
Healthy outdoor succulents in southern Ontario should be available for viewing by June.

Otherwise, I saw some in the Home Depot garden center just the other day.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I rode through slushy, muddy snow today at 8000’ above sea level. And forded the Santa Cruz River. At least I didn’t get too specific and add “at least one mile away from pavement “ like I first thought. Besides, y’all Canadians were walking away with almost all the wins.😁🤪

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
187 Posts
Specifically the Vancouverites. We can ride all year...

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
I don't see the overall benafit of making it competitive. I have seen completions like that before and they tend to be skewed toward the retired, and the work from home folks like myself, as well as certain geographic areas, etc.

I think it also tends to make people get overly specific as to what meets a challenge or does not. Many competitors will argue the validity of the requirements if someone else gets it first, but it isn't quite what the challenger asked for, etc. The geodesic dome for an example. Is Biosphere 2 really a dome? Did it really meet the challenge? Did my rail bridge really meet the trestle challenge? It had trestle like elements, but it wasn't really a trestle.

I believe it would also discourage late comers to the game when you know you have no shot at catching up with the front runners.

Lastly, it requires to much housekeeping, keeping score, etc.

Best to just keep it a friendly. People who have the most "wins" know who they are :)

On the Triumph Forum we would sometimes do a monthly themed competition to see who could rack up the most points, like your bike with a "rally flag" you had to make to show it was a current picture and the challenge was towns with double letters in the name or something along those lines. But we had more resources as far as vendors for prizes :)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
187 Posts
Or discourage them...:cry:... yet to get on the board. Hahaha
Agreed.

I think we are about to get into riding season in more and more of North America and Europe. More participation will come as more and more people put in this year's first tank of gas...

Reactions: InedibleRider
141 - 160 of 186 Posts