Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
I see we go with the unusual, odd and generally obscure challenges. I had envisioned a challenge that would allow anyone and everyone to participate in, simply by hoping on their bike and going for a spin, not necessarily going to another part of the country. Generally stuff that can be seen on a person's daily commute.

Your bike in front of a succulent

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
I see we go with the unusual, odd and generally obscure challenges. I had envisioned a challenge that would allow anyone and everyone to participate in, simply by hoping on their bike and going for a spin, not necessarily going to another part of the country. Generally stuff that can be seen on a person's daily commute.

That should generally be the gist.

Keeping challenges relatively simple in order to keep the game flowing and moving as quickly as possible is ideal. Trying not to be too specific and choosing challenges that are unpredictable, movable, unique to a certain geography, etc. slows play down.

If challenges become too specific or detailed the game tends to stall.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
You all want me to amend my challenge? Just figured on more response from our desert Southwest riders.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
You all want me to amend my challenge? Just figured on more response from our desert Southwest riders.

I wouldn't. It's only good for two weeks, if it's not met, you post a new challenge. You'll just forever be known as the guy to post a losing challenge on At forum🤭. That's a distinguished honor you don't want carried around.

And I suggest the follow to every post so people don't have to hunt for current challenge.

Reactions: phydough

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
I wouldn't. It's only good for two weeks, if it's not met, you post a new challenge. You'll just forever be known as the guy to post a losing challenge on At forum🤭. That's a distinguished honor you don't want carried around.

And I suggest the follow to every post so people don't have to hunt for current challenge.

Agreed. I wouldn't change it either. It is early season and it's going to be easy to stump people when weather and season create obstacles.

I mean technically I could go get a photo of my bike with a succulent if I wanted to ride over to my mother's house and unbury some from under the snow. But as you can tell from the ruler in the photo, you can see the scale of what cactus variety grows around here. It's often going to be buried under snow. We tend to only get small cactus types, sedum, sempervivum, and other small rock garden types.

But, if someone really wants to see a boring photo of sedum unburied from the snow, I could go get it :)

In the meantime, Your bike in front of a succulent :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
My bike in front of a succulent
No pics of the AT but pics of prior bikes
1999 Black R1100RS and 2006 R1200RT. Baja Mexico. John Valk tours Baja Blast III (2005) and IV (2006)

To my roomie Michael Smith. RIP my friend. Life was too short for you.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It’s my bike(s) with succulents but it’s 15-years ago and not with my current AT.
If’n it don’ count then we continue onward with the current challenge.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
It’s my bike(s) with succulents but it’s 15-years ago and not with my current AT.
If’n it don’ count then we continue onward with the current challenge.
Hi @black99S. While the photos are great, they don't count as meeting the challenge. Photos submitted for consideration have to be current photos taken after the challenge was posted. Not archives. The challenge still remains...

Your bike in front of a succulent.

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
Hi @black99S. While the photos are great, they don't count as meeting the challenge. Photos submitted for consideration have to be current photos taken after the challenge was posted. Not archives. The challenge still remains...

Might need to start digging in that snow bank @Cuchulainn. ;)

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Might need to start digging in that snow bank @Cuchulainn. ;)
I did drive past her house yesterday and still a good bit of snow covering the plants. So it is that or a potted cactus placed in front of my bike to achieve...

Edit: There are a bunch of deer in the open space this AM. Are they considered succulants? :D

Your bike in front of a succulent. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
I did drive past her house yesterday and still a good bit of snow covering the plants. So it is that or a potted cactus placed in front of my bike to achieve...

Edit: There are a bunch of deer in the open space this AM. Are they considered succulants? :D

Your bike in front of a succulent. :)
Man, if you got the AT anywhere near the deer - I'd say a bonus "Queen Takes All" photo snap.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Man, if you got the AT anywhere near the deer - I'd say a bonus "Queen Takes All" photo snap.
I have some in the photo archives of the bike close to deer, bison, cattle, mules, and some various other animals, but the helmet cam doesn't capture the bike in front of them. Of course, they are also archives and wouldn't count anyway. :)

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
My bike with some ice plants.

Ice plants: The ice plant (Delosperma) is a succulent, perennial ground cover with daisy-like flowers. The ice plant is not called an ice plant because it is cold hardy, but rather because the flowers and leaves seem to shimmer as though covered in frost or ice crystals

They are kind of pathetic early spring plants, so we can let this one marinate if we like and see if someone else comes up with better.

But it is my bike in front of a succulent :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
We have a winner!

Glad to see Cuch get way out deep in the woods for that shot.:unsure:

By the way, I would have accepted potted plants posed with the bike. Even in the HomeDepot parking lot.

Cuch, the challenge is yours!

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
We have a winner!

Glad to see Cuch get way out deep in the woods for that shot.:unsure:

By the way, I would have accepted potted plants posed with the bike. Even in the HomeDepot parking lot.

Cuch, the challenge is yours!
Way out deep in the woods would have still been snow-covered hahaha.

Something simple to keep the game rolling. BMW riders are reputed to have a fondness for Starbucks. But the Africa Twin goes by the "True Adventure" moto. We all know "True Adventurers" don't drink chain shop coffee am I right?

Your bike in front of your favorite non-chain coffee place :)

PS: While not out deep in the woods I am in Monument, CO at the moment and it's crazy windy out here. Especially on a small bike hahaha.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Your bike in front of a non-chain coffee shop.

My local joint, the Far Out Coffee Post. Grabbed a quick shot before heading off on my first overnight adventure of the season. Going to be cold in the tent tonight.

Edit: as I typed that I realized I hadn't packed my sleeping bag! Temperatures expected to be well below freezing tonight. Rusty!

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Your bike in front of a non-chain coffee shop.

My local joint, the Far Out Coffee Post. Grabbed a quick shot before heading off on my first overnight adventure of the season. Going to be cold in the tent tonight.

Edit: as I typed that I realized I hadn't packed my sleeping bag! Temperatures expected to be well below freezing tonight. Rusty!

View attachment 61848
That will do it! I was surprised that challenge sat so long. I can think of a half dozen non-chain coffee shops within a 10 mile radius of me :)

Yikes on the sleeping bag! What's the next challenge going to be? Your bike outside a Walmart or equivalent while you shop for a "disposable" sleeping bag for the trip?

Or are you going to go for a quality replacement for an older one you have at home?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thankfully I was close to home and grabbed my sleeping bag! I failed to bring one once on a western US trip in August in my 20s. First night at 10,000ft in the Sierras sucked.

Challenge: Your bike in front of the Saloon.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts