Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So word just came out that sport bikes have been banned at the pikes peak international hill climb.

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/the-pikes-peak-international-hill-climb-just-banned-spo-1748433774

the reason I bring this up here is because I wonder if Honda might come back in 2016 with the Africa twin. Easily one of their highest performing road legal, production motorcycle.

And hey the record was held by a Ducati Multistrada for a few years before Toye broke it on a ZX-10, so WHY NOT ;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think the ban was enacted because Pike Peak was feeling the pressure from these guys:

To be honest, there was a lot of talk on the insurance side as well as from the BOD [Board of Directors] about eliminating the motorcycle program completely from PPIHC.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sport bikes have only been able to run there since 2012. So in the 4 years they've let sport bikes race two people have died. There have only ever been 6 people to die at pikes peak in 100 years and 2 of them were from sport bikes.

Not a favourable statistic unfortunately...

On June 29, 2014, Bobby Goodin, of Flower Mound, Texas, died from injuries he sustained when he crashed his Triumph Daytona 675R immediately after crossing the PPIHC finish line at the 14,110-foot summit.

On June 25, 2015, Carl Sorensen, of Centennial, Colorado, died from injuries sustained when he crashed his Ducati 848 during practice for the PPIHC and flew off a cliff.

Both Goodin and Sorensen were experienced in competing on purpose-built road courses as well as racing at the PPIHC.

Goodin and Sorensen were the fifth and sixth racers, respectively, killed during the 99-year history of the event.
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/pikes-peak-international-hill-climb-officials-mandate-one-piece-handlebars-for-2016-in-the-name-of-safety/#.VnC2GUqCRdk.facebook

·
Registered
276 Posts
I guess because the whole route is now paved, they opened the door for anyone to have a go.
thats exactly what happened, as I wrote above 2 deaths in the 4 years since sportbikes could run. A third of all deaths over 100 years is an ugly statistic for any sanctioning body to deal with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts