Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I brought my bike in to the dealer to change the starter button under warranty and he noticed the wear mark on the front tire was starting to show. Rear tire is fine though.
The tires are only 5500 km (had them fitted to replace the stock ones when I bought the bike).
Is this normal ? I was expecting to get at least twice the mileage from them.
Cheers
Jo

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had them on my KLR and they really only went about 7,500 kilometres before they were cupped, flat in the centre and started to turn in funny. Most of that distance was fully loaded. They were great tires while they lasted. They just didn't go nearly far enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to be precise, these are Scorpion Trail II and they're fine for me. Wet and dry, great tires.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Tried Continental TKC80s. Didn't think they were anything special and sold them with the KLR with about 3,000 kilometres on them.

I really liked the Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trails on my Varadero. Great in wet and dry on the road (great touring tire) and they did surprisingly well on gravel (just not muck). Unfortunately, they don't come in the sizes for our bike.

In four weeks, I'm going to swap the OEM tires to Avon Trek Riders for a long distance tour. They look like a good balance between road and gravel - I'll have to see about longevity.

I've heard really good things about the more 90/10 Avon Trail Riders from BMW riders.

Did you replace them for something else or kept the same kind?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I brought my bike in to the dealer to change the starter button under warranty and he noticed the wear mark on the front tire was starting to show. Rear tire is fine though.
The tires are only 5500 km (had them fitted to replace the stock ones when I bought the bike).
Is this normal ? I was expecting to get at least twice the mileage from them.
5500km=3417 miles. I have 3500 miles on my Scorpion Trail 2s from new and wear is in line with my expectations from having two sets on a GS1200LC. The GS had about 8k miles on the second set when sold with I guess another 2-3k to go.

AT front now has 3mm left, rear 5 mm.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yea, really depends what you're look for guys?
Just like the words "Good" and "Cheep" don't go together, neither does "Traction" and "Mileage" remember is always a compromise.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was surprised to find out that the front tire was more worn than the rear one. Normally that's the opposite.
I had Michelin Pilot Road 4 on my previous CB650F and they lasted 10'000Km (roughly 6000 miles). These were great tires with lots of grip (especially wet).
Since the Pirelli's are more road than dirt (or not dirt at all) it's weird that they are already so worn after only 3400 miles.
That's half the Pilot Road's life.

I don't mind having to change tires soon, security before wallet, but I'm wondering if there's something else out there with a bit more longevity and similar qualities.

Any recommendations? I do mostly road with sometimes a little gravel / compact dirt.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Got 6500 miles out of the OEM Dunlops, didn't seem all that bad, perhaps I'm lacking expert judgment. Just had a service and a set of Pirelll Scorpions fitted ,.... very impressed, got a little over 100 miles on them so far.... grippy springs to mind.... really brightened up the handling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been shopping around and the Conti TKC70 seemed like something I could use, but couldn't find a tube type for the rear. Unless I am mistaken, doesn't TL stand for tubeless and TT for tube type ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An update to my previous post :

When I bought the bike, I had the dealer replace the OEM tires and fit instead the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2.
I had checked previously on the Pirelli website which tires were compatible with the Africa Twin, and these were "the chosen ones". At the time I didn't noticed that they were TL.
So, I just called my dealer who confirmed that there's no problem to fit TLs on the Africa Twin (which they did). They just put a tube inside.

I guess I can fit TKC70 TL on the Africa Twin after all.

But could this explain the fact that the front tire is wearing faster than the rear one?
Or because I ride a lot in the mountains (Alps passes) and need to brake more vigorously when coming down?
My riding habits are pretty much the same as with previous bikes (roadsters), same kind of roads, and this has never happened.

Any explanation to that?

Cheers !

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have Scorpion Trail 2's on my Tiger 1050. I love them in the dry and wet. I don't care too much if they wear at a slightly faster rate than other options as I trust them in all conditions.
When I get my AT (DCT), once the OEM tyres are done, I'll probably put Scorpion Trail 2's on. For 2 years running German Motorrad voted these tyres as No.1 choice for adventure bikes.
The Germans know how to evaluate stuff, so any product a German bike mag puts through its paces and recommends is good enough for me. They don't mess about. The tyres will have been through all sorts or wet and dry conditions during tests.

Scorpion Trail 2's are classed 90/10 (90% on road / 10% off road) which suits my general riding style. I see no sense in having 60/40's (for example) if you rarely go off road. By that I mean truly off road, muddy trails and tracks. The Scorpion Trail 2's will happily deal with made and unmade road/logging road type surfaces. I'd not try them in anything softer than that though.

Another option, for Adventure bikes, that I've had years of experience with is Metzler Tourance. They were brilliant on my XL1000V Varadero in Europe, I used quite a few sets over the years over mountain passes, tight twisties, unmade roads, often touring two up. They used to last a while I seem to recall. Don't seem to be available for the AT sizes in the Tourance or Tourance 'Next' versions.... yet!

·
Registered
96 Posts
An update to my previous post :

When I bought the bike, I had the dealer replace the OEM tires and fit instead the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2.
I had checked previously on the Pirelli website which tires were compatible with the Africa Twin, and these were "the chosen ones". At the time I didn't noticed that they were TL.
So, I just called my dealer who confirmed that there's no problem to fit TLs on the Africa Twin (which they did). They just put a tube inside.

I guess I can fit TKC70 TL on the Africa Twin after all.

But could this explain the fact that the front tire is wearing faster than the rear one?
Or because I ride a lot in the mountains (Alps passes) and need to brake more vigorously when coming down?
My riding habits are pretty much the same as with previous bikes (roadsters), same kind of roads, and this has never happened.

Any explanation to that?

Cheers !
According to the tyre websites running tubes in tubeless tyres is suppose to reduce the life span of the tyre. The reason they give is that the tube rubs on the tyre and makes the running temperature of the tyre higher and this makes the tyre wear faster. If you have ever seen the inside of a tube type tyre compared to a tubeless it is really smooth while the tubeless will be really rough. That said I have run many tubeless tyres with tubes and never had any real problem that I could detect. Many people also say that running tubes in tubeless means that the speed rating that the tyre has should be considered to be reduced to the next lower rating (ie. if it is rated to 160 km then with tubes it is 140 for example). Again I don't know if this is a myth or not but to be safe I suppose you should take note.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the explanation kaosad. That's probably it. So I guess I'll have to change tires soon (around 8000-9000 Km.)

Will be fitting TKC70 the next time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts