Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noob when it comes to ADV moto/riding so forgive me for the following dumb question: Are specific brand luggage racks compatible with panniers from different make?

For example, will a Givi pannier fit onto a Hepco & Becker rack? Just using those two brands as an example.

Also, will a BMW1200GS Givi pannier fit on a Givi pannier rack specifically made for a Honda Africa Twin?

Are there any luggage rack brands I should stay away from due to poor crash results? For example, I saw some rack designs that bolted onto the rear plastic fender by the license plate which from a structural POV makes no sense. Why not have a bar connecting one rack to another behind the license fender like designed by other brands. Or am I missing something here?

Also, is the rear passenger peg necessary to mount the luggage racks? I recall a member's comment that stated something about not buying a particular exhaust because it required the removal of the passenger peg. Not sure if it had to do with the fact the passenger peg is required to install a luggage rack or she/he wanted a passenger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm a noob when it comes to ADV moto/riding so forgive me for the following dumb question: Are specific brand luggage racks compatible with panniers from different make?

For example, will a Givi pannier fit onto a Hepco & Becker rack? Just using those two brands as an example.

Also, will a BMW1200GS Givi pannier fit on a Givi pannier rack specifically made for a Honda Africa Twin?

Are there any luggage rack brands I should stay away from due to poor crash results? For example, I saw some rack designs that bolted onto the rear plastic fender by the license plate which from a structural POV makes no sense. Why not have a bar connecting one rack to another behind the license fender like designed by other brands. Or am I missing something here?

Also, is the rear passenger peg necessary to mount the luggage racks? I recall a member's comment that stated something about not buying a particular exhaust because it required the removal of the passenger peg. Not sure if it had to do with the fact the passenger peg is required to install a luggage rack or she/he wanted a passenger.
In general, it's all about the mounts and not so much the rack. For instance, SW Motech Quick-lock Evo pannier racks work with several brands of panniers as long as you purchase separate ''luggage specific adapter kits.''

I can't answer whether BMW panniers made by Givi would fit an AT specific Givi rack, if that's what you really meant to ask.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts

This is a big topic with a lot of information, so I can see where it would be overwhelming when first starting out. Most panniers are only compatible with their own brand of racks. However, some brands of racks might have adapters (looking at SW Motech) to use different cases. The key when shopping is to figure out what kind of attachment the panniers you like need. For example, Givi has two different types of racks for the AT for different types of panniers, the basic racks for all monokey cases (including kappa brand which is almost the same), and their CAM style racks for the Trekker Outbacks only.
Another thing to decide is what kind of panniers you want. Do you like aluminum? Plastic? Soft bags? This will dictate what racks you need. I would recommend doing a search of this forum for pictures of the different types of setups people need, to give you a place to start.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I forgot to mention that pretty much all the racks use the passenger peg mount as an anchor point, and this does not affect the use of the passenger peg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts