Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!

Do you want a Plug and Play LED Aux. Light Kit for the Africa Twin?

• Yes, I do want to see a kit made for the CRF1000L Africa Twin

Votes: 80 98.8%
  • No, I don't want a kit, here is why:

Votes: 1 1.2%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Vendor
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Bailey here with Baja Designs. We wanted to see if there is any interest in a Plug and Play LED Aux Light kit for the Africa Twin.
Feel free to post up, vote, or PM us.

Options:
Yes, I do want to see a kit made for the CRF1000L Africa Twin
No, I don't want a kit, here is why:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm interested but would appreciate if you could describe what you would define as plug and play.

Would your kit include a toggle switch? What about a wire harness sufficiently long enough to plug under the seat (as opposed to deep under the instrument cluster)

For me, ´Plug and play' implies more than a led light with Honda type connectors.

Good luck with this project. Winter is long here so I will monitor this thread before pulling the trigger on auxiliary lights.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am currently reading everything a can, looking for the best set for my uses, Denali, Cycleops are ones i was considering... In fact have ordered oem fog switch from Rugged Roads...What ya thinking..., i second the under seat idea...

·
Vendor
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm interested but would appreciate if you could describe what you would define as plug and play.

Would your kit include a toggle switch? What about a wire harness sufficiently long enough to plug under the seat (as opposed to deep under the instrument cluster)

For me, ´Plug and play' implies more than a led light with Honda type connectors.

Good luck with this project. Winter is long here so I will monitor this thread before pulling the trigger on auxiliary lights.
Right now we are trying to gauge interest for these kits. We don't know if it will be High Beam activated or triggered with a toggle switch.

If we decide to make a kit for the Africa Twin it will definitely be specific to that bike. All of the wiring harnesses and other parts will be designed to provide the cleanest installation and highest performance.

For now a user can purchase one of our Universal kits that mount on 7/8 and 1" crash bars.

Thank You,
Bailey, Baja Designs

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've voted yes as it would be handy, however.....
I think it might be pretty difficult to do as everybody has very slightly different requirements, we're awkward like that :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, Id be interested, certainly in some more details. Plug and Play electrics are always good as far as I'm concerned, wiring's not my strong point.

·
Vendor
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've voted yes as it would be handy, however.....
I think it might be pretty difficult to do as everybody has very slightly different requirements, we're awkward like that :D

Do you have any specific things you would like to see vs. wouldn't like? I definitely understand :D

·
Vendor
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, Id be interested, certainly in some more details. Plug and Play electrics are always good as far as I'm concerned, wiring's not my strong point.
We will definitely have some more details as we get closer to developing the product. We (Baja Designs) like to provide an easy, pain free, installation that can handle abuse for many years to come.

·
Vendor
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am currently reading everything a can, looking for the best set for my uses, Denali, Cycleops are ones i was considering... In fact have ordered oem fog switch from Rugged Roads...What ya thinking..., i second the under seat idea...

We currently aren't setup as a vendor but feel free to send us a message if you have any questions about Baja Designs (BD) related products. Happy to help!

Thank You,
Bailey, Baja Designs

www.bajadesigns.com

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would like to see a high and low setting, and in an ideal world a variable setting.

I have the OEM auxiliary lights and like to ride with them on from a safety perspective. Other vehicles can gauge speed with the triangular formation of light much better than a single dot of light coming towards them. On first taking the AT out at night the OEM are far too bright, for other motorists, to be on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I vote against an oem switch because I beleive it is dash mounted. While ´clean looking', it is not accessible for safe and repeat on-off action while riding Twisties. At least for me...

I would also like a slim combo led bar that would fit high up the middle of the bike, tucked under the Headlight fairing. 3500 lumens min. With a plastic cover for daytime riding. With your logo of course!

... and, at risk of repeating myself, a wire harness that could connect to the stock connector or power module under the seat. (Read PC8 Eastern Beaver box)

With regards, to activating the fog symbol on the dash: not required! ... I'll know if your lights are on.

Hey, you asked for suggestions. Thanks again for considering

·
Registered
54 Posts
The problem with a plug and play kit is everyone wants something slightly different as a business is it viable to offer kits with options ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The different options that I see people wanting are:
Some want them as DRLs, some want high/low switchables, some want fog lights. One apparently even wants a variable setting (not pointing any fingers Snowbubble ;) )
Some want them on all the time (therefore a button in the OEM location would be fine), some want them tied into the high beam button, some will want a combination of both (awkward sods :p)
Some will want it to plug into the 6 pin under the seat, the others will want to plug it into the 4 pin in the dash.
Some want it to operate the icons on the dash, some want the button itself to light up, some aren't fussed about having either.

Anybody want something I've missed?
As a bit more off the wall idea I've been considering building tilt switches into a set of lights to turn them into cornering lights like the KTM has.

I'm only a pretty amateur electrickery tinkerer so if it still turns out to be viable with different options then that's excellent!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would like to add keeping price down. This bike comes in at a lower price than the competition and the kit should reflect this. Your kits are nice but price has prevented me from purchasing in the past.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I'm interested. I'll not further muddy the waters with even more special requests.

·
Vendor
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would like to see a high and low setting, and in an ideal world a variable setting.

I have the OEM auxiliary lights and like to ride with them on from a safety perspective. Other vehicles can gauge speed with the triangular formation of light much better than a single dot of light coming towards them. On first taking the AT out at night the OEM are far too bright, for other motorists, to be on.
We offer and optional Skene Dimmer Harness to allow the lights to be dimmed. I agree about the added safety. It makes a HUGE different during the day (and night) having the lights dimmed as running lights.
Definitely noted if we can somehow incorporate that into the kit or offer it as an easy add-on

·
Vendor
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I vote against an oem switch because I beleive it is dash mounted. While ´clean looking', it is not accessible for safe and repeat on-off action while riding Twisties. At least for me...

I would also like a slim combo led bar that would fit high up the middle of the bike, tucked under the Headlight fairing. 3500 lumens min. With a plastic cover for daytime riding. With your logo of course!

... and, at risk of repeating myself, a wire harness that could connect to the stock connector or power module under the seat. (Read PC8 Eastern Beaver box)

With regards, to activating the fog symbol on the dash: not required! ... I'll know if your lights are on.

Hey, you asked for suggestions. Thanks again for considering

Thanks for posting up. A 10" Light Bar kit is something we are also considering. Our S8 LED Light Bar would be a great option (https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/S8-10-inch-LED-Light-Bar.asp) and also has optional covers to protect the light (Black, Clear, and Amber).

The more the OEM dash switch comes up it seems to have potential negatives. The largest problem is it not being easy to activate or deactivate during aggressive riding due to the location.

·
Vendor
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The problem with a plug and play kit is everyone wants something slightly different as a business is it viable to offer kits with options ?
We would like to come up with something that makes the majority of enthusiasts happy. If it can be one kit that would be ideal. There is always the option for upgrades for those looking for certain add-ons or features.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts