Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
September break to the Baltic States. Weather was crap almost all the time. Ferry from England to Holland then a fast blast well into Germany. Then into Poland for a few days and a trip to the only ghost town, a relic from the cold war, before heading into Lithuania. Found a secret cold war bunker there before going up into Latvia. Roads are a mixture of tarmac, dog rough roadworks and gravel. Visited a nuclear missile site in Latvia, interestingly there was a targeting list from the USA on the wall and next to the bottom was where I was standing. Also visited Rezekne where, in the forest over 100,000 Jews were murdered during the Second World War. Ferry across the Baltic was cancelled for a day due to bad weather so got one more day before getting back home and late to work.

total of 3,527.7 miles in 17 days and 57.9 to the gallon (proper UK gallons).

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just returned from Romania and returned via Poland, the area south east next to the Ukraine border is full of mountain roads and worth exploring.

Sadly it rained all the time I was there but I shall be returning, hopefully in drier weather.

Your trip sounds great Chris, a lovely part of Europe, the roads are "interesting" in parts !!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just returned from Romania and returned via Poland, the area south east next to the Ukraine border is full of mountain roads and worth exploring.

Sadly it rained all the time I was there but I shall be returning, hopefully in drier weather.

Your trip sounds great Chris, a lovely part of Europe, the roads are "interesting" in parts !!
Love the Baltic States, very friendly and yes, interesting, roads. Last year I went through Estonia into Russia and found endless miles of "main road" which was just rock and mud. Are there any special visas for Romania or particular problems getting in and out, sounds like a good place to visit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Romania is part of the EU so no problems entering, for some reason passports have to be shown but no extra paperwork needed. I took spare inner tubes and a basic tool kit but needed nothing. There are plenty garages along the route. I took engine oil but after 3,800 miles no top up needed.

Two unmissable routes are the Transfagarasan and Transalpina Highways, these can be done over 2 days and are unbelievable. Sibiu is a great place to base yourself.

Road conditions through Romania, Hungary and Slovakia are generally good. Most speed limits seem to be ignored but the standard of driving is ok.

Hotels and restaurants are plentiful and very cheap compared to the UK.

I travelled alone with no fixed plans ( other than the highways ) and using my Garmin and hotel booking websites had no problems at all.

Hope any of this helps.

Clive ( age 72 1/2 ) :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Two unmissable routes are the Transfagarasan and Transalpina Highways, these can be done over 2 days and are unbelievable. Sibiu is a great place to base yourself.

I travelled alone with no fixed plans ( other than the highways ) and using my Garmin and hotel booking websites had no problems at all.

Hope any of this helps.

Clive ( age 72 1/2 ) :)
Sounds like an epic trip, would loved to have joined.
Can you PM more route details?

Clive I am going to organise a trip early next year are you in?
Pick me up on the way, I'm in Poland and looking for just this type of trip!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks guys, my route may not suit everyone but did the job for me, here goes -

Ferry Newcastle to Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) force 8 gale and engine breakdown caused 3 hour delay so motorways used for first night at Magdeburg.

Magdeburg to Kutna Hora (Czech Republic) motorways to Czech border then meandered to KH arriving 3pm. Visited the Church of Bones which is a "must do".

KH to Trvana (Hungary) using Garmins winding road facility. Superb scenic route.

Trvana to Budapest. Short ride so 2 nights could be spent in Budapest with plenty sightseeing. Beatiful city.

Budapest to Turda (really!).Romania. Fantastic food and room in the Dracula Hotel .

Turda to Ramnicu Valcea via the Transalpina Highway (dn67c) great roads, views and surfaces.

RV to Sibiu via the Transfagarasan Highway, if yesterday was good this was even better. Ride,enjoy then do it again ! Sibiu is a great place to spend time.

Sibiu to Baia Mare ( Romania) using Garmin winding road route, no idea of the route but it was very "rural"

BM to Nowy Targ (Poland) bit of an antibiotic climax after the last two days. Last 50 miles through mountain roads but so wet I didn't see it at it's best.

NT to Czestochowa (Poland) probably the wettest days riding ever ! So bad I didn't even leave the hotel for my usual walk. Visited Auschwitz, nothing I need add to that.

Czestochowa to Smrzovka (Czech Republic) much drier and good roads, more like riding in Switzerland. Skiing area so good riding roads.

Smrzovka to Braunschweig (Germany) lovely city and good roads on the way.

Braunschweig to Zwartswis (Holland). Luxury night in the hotel Zwartewater, superb ! Used no major roads and enjoyed a very easy days riding.

Zwartswis to Ijmuiden for the Newcastle ferry. Road via the E22 barrier which is worth doing, what a feat of engineering.

Highlights - Budapest, the two highways, Sibiu, Church of Bones. Riding the AT on it's first big trip. Everyone of the 3,800 miles was enjoyable - some just a little more than others.

Apologies to anyone who finds this boring !!

Sorry but I can't join anyone next year, I am afraid having discovered the freedom of lone travelling I have decided this is how I want to travel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts