Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I dislike loud pipes. Been riding and road-racing for over 30 years and have even owned a few Harleys. Sure I've put exhaust systems and even slip-ons on various bikes, BUT I never had an open exhaust on a bike I rode on the street.

I like a good sounding exhaust note/sound which does NOT equate to "loud". Just loud or noisy exhaust is just irritating to me.

·
Registered
787 Posts
It's not that I like loud pipes....but I do like how most aftermarket pipes look better than the stocker. Inevitably, they are louder which is a given. I've actually thought about buying the catalytic insert for my Arrow to quieten it down a tad and cut down the back-fires.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dabbled with them a little back in my 1990's Harley days but soon found them embarrassing. A nice exhaust note is one thing - but -

·
Registered
122 Posts
Define loud
Loud pipes make people stop talking as you ride by. They can't hear each other. They are not amused. They don't think it is cool. They cover their ears.

That isn't the same as a VFR with a Staintune pipe that makes people look and smile.

I am the arbiter of loud.

Rob

·
Registered
86 Posts
Definition of loud pipes: Often, but not limited to Harley riders, who like to rev their bikes in a bid to let everyone know around them that they are riding a bike with a loud (excessive), exhaust pipe - look at me!

I believe that there is a difference between a loud and excessive pipe sound. I once had a Yamaha 1000 with an aftermarket exhaust that was definitely louder than the stock, but under no circumstances was excessive. Hence, there was still a sweet sounding note emitted from the rear, but didn't catch the attention of bystanders in a two kilometre radius.

I personally don't like the excessive noise made from big, unfriendly road bikes, and yes there are some adventure bikes that have a similar (baffle free), sound that frightens off any wildlife or human inhabitant in the near vicinity - noise pollution!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Loud...No (just annoying), Louder than stock....definitely, I have the Termi and generally run it without the db killer, I don't find it particularly loud and it doesn't appear to cause annoyance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have no love for loud pipes. 1)The loud noise pisses too many people off and turns them against bikes in general when most would have remained positive or at least neutral to our cause . 2)I've lost enough hearing already 3) after living out west for many years, most police forces out there had a no-pursuit policy --- good riders consistently embarrassed them by getting away --- bad/new riders created a public relations/liability lawsuit problem and endless paperwork by getting crippled or killed when chased They caught bikes by having 3 or more units roll down their windows,listening and triangulating on the bike's sound ---- loud bike = cops beating on your door ----- quiet bike = peaceful, uninterrupted slumber ---- I do have a great love for obscenely loud horns. The more vulnerable the vehicle in a crash the louder the horn should be. The cage zombies will part like the red sea for Moses, and stop out of fear, thinking they're up against an 18 wheeler or train---- I'm going to try to find a place to hang 2 sets of $10 Harbor Freight air horns. on my A Twin in the next week or 2. Cheap, Loud,draw very little current and last forever. I have some mounted under on my 02 Valkyrie --- still work just fine --- stock horn = great door buzzer ---- also still working just fine ---- STAY SAFE!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Prior to my AT, I rode (and still own) an HD Fat Bob with stock pipes, which I did not consider loud....when I first rode the AT I was freaked out by everything I heard: Chain noise, tire noise, valvetrain noise, wind noise....the HD was so loud stock that I could hear nothing more than the exhaust....I think the "loud pipes save lives" is BS, and an excuse for being obnoxious.....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Maybe in Turtle Island but here in the UK they definitely do.....
Yeh, thats like saying restricting all cars and bkes to 30 mph saves lives so we should do that too. You can make an argument for anything. Loud bikes just piss people off and are anti social. A greater social conscience/appreciation comes with age so I must forgive today's young dudes. I was a complete tool at 17 with my new bike too!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts